Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So keep it at West Lakes and save $50 million.
If you're going to do it at West Lakes you might as well be in Port Lincoln. It's MILES away.

Thebarton is 3kms from Adelaide Oval, ffs.

Last edited:
People do realise that it takes nearly half an hour to walk up to the aquatic centre after a game right?
And there is never going to be an after match at any HQ.

It will always be at AO.

Proximity to AO is irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

And there is never going to be an after match at any HQ.

It will always be at AO.

Proximity to AO is irrelevant.

I'm more interested in facilities where you can go to the club on a Thursday night, watch training, have a meal and a beer and chat to others about selection and actually feel like your part of the club.

I'm more interested in facilities where you can go to the club on a Thursday night, watch training, have a meal and a beer and chat to others about selection and actually feel like your part of the club.

This is the correct idea.

Monday and Wednesday nights should cater to the AFLW crowd. Watch them train and then have a meal and a chat with the girls. I believe the girls still train after work hours.

Thursday night should be about seeing the SANFL top up group train together with the SANFL group and then maybe, Friday night could become a captain run for an hour before team selection is announced in the front bar.

Get back to developing a footy club feeling.

Support an SANFL club then.

This is the correct idea.

Monday and Wednesday nights should cater to the AFLW crowd. Watch them train and then have a meal and a chat with the girls. I believe the girls still train after work hours.

Thursday night should be about seeing the SANFL top up group train together with the SANFL group and then maybe, Friday night could become a captain run for an hour before team selection is announced in the front bar.

Get back to developing a footy club feeling.
How's life in the 80s ??

Support an SANFL club then.
Or local/Ammos.

I don't get the need for people to intimately belong to an AFL club.

Far more rewarding to get that feeling at the "Grassroots" level.

Having said that a venue where supporters can gather for big away games would be good. Does not necessarily need to be at the club though.

Or local/Ammos.

I don't get the need for people to intimately belong to an AFL club.

Far more rewarding to get that feeling at the "Grassroots" level.

Having said that a venue where supporters can gather for big away games would be good. Does not necessarily need to be at the club though.
Read this a few times and I still cant get my head around it

Certainly look for an ammo club to follow local footy and support that - but this idea that the AFC are not a ''footy club'' is wrong.

There is now a generation of AFC supporters who have only known the AFL - that the AFC isnt a ''grassroots'' club for them is wrong. There are now - and will be bigger in the future when us dinosaurs die - plenty of supporters who want to pop down to the club , watch training and have a meal. Or sit there in the hope that Chayce Jones 5 time Premiership player stops to say G'day while they are milling around the club

The business model is the same as an ammos club -

Read this a few times and I still cant get my head around it

Certainly look for an ammo club to follow local footy and support that - but this idea that the AFC are not a ''footy club'' is wrong.

There is now a generation of AFC supporters who have only known the AFL - that the AFC isnt a ''grassroots'' club for them is wrong. There are now - and will be bigger in the future when us dinosaurs die - plenty of supporters who want to pop down to the club , watch training and have a meal. Or sit there in the hope that Chayce Jones 5 time Premiership player stops to say G'day while they are milling around the club

The business model is the same as an ammos club -
I imagine my 3 year old son will grow up being able to have "contact" with the club and players via social media. Not feel the need to go to the club.

That is the future.

We also had that at West Lakes. Remember the cafe? Few people probably do. But you could get a meal there after training sessions, few people did.

So they closed it.

Last edited:
In this thread I've been a "find a city location or just stay at West Lakes but upgrade it" advocate.

After watching the new doco - nup, time to get the f*ck outta that shithole.
The surrounding area aside, it will be nice in a years time, the actual facility is dated.

Moving is more feasible than renovating the existing facility. Not to mention the oval size is limited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The surrounding area aside, it will be nice in a years time, the actual facility is dated.

Moving is more feasible than renovating the existing facility. Not to mention the oval size is limited.
Not to mention we don't have a choice to stay at WL for the long term.

And it's not likely to get any easier to find a new home later (than now).

It will look quite nice around West Lakes in a couple of years (the Uniting Care facility looks to be finished and some houses close to complete behind the southern goals) just as we’re moving out.

Watched a bit of the Amazon doco, fair to say our current facilities look very dated compared to other clubs featured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Is there any way we could get the West End Brewery site and if so would it be worth paying the $$$? It's the perfect size and almost perfect location if we couldn't get Parklands. Someone mentioned the AFL having the perfect AFL training site as 8-10 Hectares and with 2 ovals. The WE brewery is 8 Hectares and would fit two ovals side by side perfectly with room still for facilities. But I imagine the cost to buy ($80m?) and then clear everything would be huge. And then to build.

Is there any way we could get the West End Brewery site and if so would it be worth paying the $$$? It's the perfect size and almost perfect location if we couldn't get Parklands. Someone mentioned the AFL having the perfect AFL training site as 8-10 Hectares and with 2 ovals. The WE brewery is 8 Hectares and would fit two ovals side by side perfectly with room still for facilities. But I imagine the cost to buy ($80m?) and then clear everything would be huge. And then to build.
Olsen has already said they'll make more money selling off the land for apartments and it costing in the $60-$80 million range for the land would be too much for us.

Have we confirmed that we're moving back in with the rents yet?

Nope.

They'll actually be moving in with us.
Erm... they own the lease don't they?
Hasn't escaped me that you declined to answer this hey shorty

I often admire your endeavour in trying to spin things in a positive light.

But this is 100% the AFC moving back under the SANFL wing.

Not just that, we'll be using our federal funding to pimp their operation at Thebarton.

It's all that 'newly minted crows fan' Olsen has ever wanted. In his view it will right historical wrongs and put us back in undeniable lock step with the SANFL.

I will go so far as to say that once earth is turned on this project he will probably retire knowing his work is done.

Hasn't escaped me that you declined to answer this hey shorty

I often admire your endeavour in trying to spin things in a positive light.

But this is 100% the AFC moving back under the SANFL wing.

Not just that, we'll be using our federal funding to pimp their operation at Thebarton.

It's all that 'newly minted crows fan' Olsen has ever wanted. In his view it will right historical wrongs and put us back in undeniable lock step with the SANFL.

I will go so far as to say that once earth is turned on this project he will probably retire knowing his work is done.
It's called work mate, some of us do it.

They do currently own the lease, but it is the Council who want us there. The SANFL know it's in the best interests of them for us to be there or the facility will be half as good as it will be if it we were to join them.

This whole "Olsen wants us to be bedfellows with the SANFL" rubbish you've run with is proving to be false..... And you're doubling down.

This whole "Olsen wants us to be bedfellows with the SANFL" rubbish you've run with is proving to be false..... And you're doubling down.

It looks like we will be moving into a location with the SANFL (which the SANFL will benefit greatly from) not sure how you can say we won't be bedfellows.

It looks like we will be moving into a location with the SANFL (which the SANFL will benefit greatly from) not sure how you can say we won't be bedfellows.
Pretty easily really.

We take control of the lease, we say we don't want to pay that ridiculous fee to the SANFL, and we get home SANFL games.

Basically they're getting an administrative base, should have nothing to do with each other.

Pretty easily really.

We take control of the lease, we say we don't want to pay that ridiculous fee to the SANFL, and we get home SANFL games.

Basically they're getting an administrative base, should have nothing to do with each other.

If that happens (no fee, reserves games and nothing to do with the SANFL) I will among the first to say my concerns about Olsen were wrong.

Getting reserves (AFLW) games at our new home venue is 10x more important than being within a 20 min walk from A.O to the aquatic centre.

Back