Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Here’s another article about the ACC’s Crows ‘ultimatum’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Only have to look at the empty lot on O'Connell Street to see nothing happens in North Adelaide. I park in North Adelaide for games in off-street parking but refuse to buy anything there for the stupid 2 hour game day parking. This development would revitalize the main strip with thousands of people coming up from the oval. The parking issue would have to be resolved for this to work thou.

The Govt should scrap the ACC and take control of all planning decisions. Biggest waste of space and money.

Local Government in general is a massive waste of time and money.

Not to mention how overpaid pretty much anyone that works for a council is.

It was footy/cricket ovals for juniors that whole area.
They just redid the change room facilities and put a fence around the ground.

The particlar one on the corner of west tce / north tce was a footy ground for Old Ignations FC for many years (originally called railways oval and actually had someone shot and killed while playing cricket at one point according to my father).

Originally the aquatic centre was built in the 70s from memory but had a refurbish in the early 2000s? (also from memory).

The Rolten oval development would be a lot smaller than anything required to the aquatic centre.
There was no addition to footprint in the area.

I think it was a single story building at Karen Rolten, it's now three stories I think?
Just a better use of space.

They did a fair bit of landscaping and other small changes. They reduced public access which is what we want to do. I don't think we are really looking to encroach too much on the parklands anymore than what they did given the Aquatic Centre is already there.

When was the existing Aquatic centre built? What was on that park previously?

• The City Baths were first constructed in 1860 and subsequently rebuilt in 1940 until replaced and relocated in the Park Lands with the Adelaide Swimming Centre in 1969.
  • The introduction of aquatic sports into the Park Lands created a suitable venue in pleasant surroundings for major competitive events.
  • Late in the 1970’s the need for an all-year-round venue was recognised and following lengthy research; a decision to enclose the Centre was reached.
  • The Centre was redeveloped as a joint project by Commonwealth, State and Local Governments at a cost of $8.25 million.
  • The Adelaide Aquatic Centre was officially opened on 13 October 1985 by the Federal Minister of Sport and Recreation, the Premier of South Australia and the Lord Mayor of Adelaide.
  • The modern building of a low pyramid form blends into the surroundings of gum and pine trees in such a manner as to conceal the many and varied activities performed within its enclosure.
  • It became apparent from the first full year of operation that the Centre would not be able to meet all of the demands of patrons. With increased usage by all of the aquatic sports, coupled with greater demand for water space by people seeking to increase their fitness through swimming, a conflict soon occurred between people wishing to use the Centre for recreational purposes and those involved in aquatic sports.
  • In 1989, work commenced on the construction of a leisure facility development comprising a free formed swimming area to complement the existing facility and ease the demand for space at the Centre.
  • The Leisure Pools were officially opened on 25 March 1990 by the then Lord Mayor Steve Condous, during the 150th Anniversary celebrations of the City of Adelaide. This project was fully funded by the City of Adelaide.
  • A new front entrance was completed in December 1993 to create a distinctive focal point for the Centre consistent with its light and airy image.
  • In late 2009 the SA Government in association with the City of Marion and the Australian Government, funded a $100 million project to construct a new State Aquatic and Leisure Centre which could service not only the community but athletes and major events. This allowed the Adelaide Aquatic Centre to become more of a community based leisure facility.
  • In mid-2011 the Adelaide Aquatic Centre underwent a $6 million dollar project to replace the existing roof. This was the start of planned upgrades to reinvigorate the Centre.

Only have to look at the empty lot on O'Connell Street to see nothing happens in North Adelaide. I park in North Adelaide for games in off-street parking but refuse to buy anything there for the stupid 2 hour game day parking. This development would revitalize the main strip with thousands of people coming up from the oval. The parking issue would have to be resolved for this to work thou.
[/QUOTE]

If we could get a limited license for away games that covers approximately 1.5 hours pre start time and 1 hour after it would be great for the pubs in North Adelaide. Assuming we can build something that can be converted to a shed type experience that can house 500-1000 patrons using food vans or Lions BBQ type arrangement as a simple form of food. You'd think a decent proportion of the patrons would wander down North Adelaide on their way into town or to just stay in North Adelaide. If we don't get temporary licenses for away games, that could be 500-1000 people that don't leave their home that night that don't go anywhere near O'Connell Street. I'm not for a permanent license and no license for home games, but a guaranteed license for away games could be a nice little earner for us and a great way to get a heap of people on O'Connell Street's doorstep.

I think the parklands are actually controlled by a separate act of parliament, not just under normal council/development interaction.
Motorsport Grandstand and pit area at Victoria Park is a prime example of a small minority winning over the majority. This parkland Assoc has some old Adelaide money backing them up. Trying to live in the past.

Cant understand why we can't knock down the exisiting Aquatic center to build a brand new facility that contains a multipurpose public pool and gym.... as long as the public are still able to use the facility what's the issue?

Cant understand why we can't knock down the exisiting Aquatic center to build a brand new facility that contains a multipurpose public pool and gym.... as long as the public are still able to use the facility what's the issue?
Its what happens outside; nasty carparks and cutting back of scrubby trees and shrubs and the possibility of footy fans making a ruckus near the million dollar homes of the leafy North Adelaidians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its what happens outside; nasty carparks and cutting back of scrubby trees and shrubs and the possibility of footy fans making a ruckus near the million dollar homes of the leafy North Adelaidians.

I reckon the design will need to not impose a larger footprint, have more car parks but also be less visible than the existing structures and also maintain equivalent public access and water related features/activities. It’s not impossible, costly for sure, but can be done, but requires a fair bit of time if they’re after more than a pretty picture from an architect. That’s what pisses me off the most, that the council is now talking deadlines on detailed drawings. If it takes 12 months to nail all aspects of design then it takes 12 months. This “chaos” and “angst” is bullshit. If you’re waking up and these drawing not being on public record is a problem for you then you’re either blessed or a raving ******* lunatic. And quite likely both if you also happen to live anywhere near the parklands.

The site itself is nothing fantastic. It's not like they are clear-felling a forest of 200-year-old trees to make this happen. Some trees would have to go sure, but I am sure the AFC would have to replace like for like or more. The actual footprint of the AAC is very large and could easily fit all that the AFC could want to do and more. Could fit an AO size ground and an MCG size oval with plenty of room to spare to plant as many trees as the nimbies might jump up and down about. Tempory parking for away game events could be on the grassed area at the bottom of the picture like they used to do at AAMI on game days.
It is really only the residence of Barton Tce that could kick up a stink. Just plant a shizen lot of trees and shrubs all along there to block out their view dampen and noise and provide a green buffer.

Used to hit a few cars on Jeffcott Road with wayward tee shots on the North Course until they shortened it to a par 3.
Aquatic Centre.png

What scrubby trees and scrub?

Theres very few trees on that entire block. Really only around the roads and they can all remain.

Aquatic centre is hemorrhaging cash on a daily basis, so not sure what the other alternative is for ACC.

Show me an Aquatic Centre that doesn't? Include depreciation etc they all do once you get past the first few years of operations.

Most councils are poorly run and run by incompetent people. The ACC is the worst of the worst. Absolutely clueless, achieve nothing and put any and all road blocks in place to ensure no changes happen.

Councillors yes. Don't go pointing the finger at council as an administration though, your claims are completely unfounded in that regard.

Show me an Aquatic Centre that doesn't? Include depreciation etc they all do once you get past the first few years of operations.

Councillors yes. Don't go pointing the finger at council as an administration though, your claims are completely unfounded in that regard.

Absolutely not.
Councils simply aren't required.

Great efficiencies could be gained by absorbing into state government.

Has even been financial modelling done on it.

Also ACC are not well run if thats what you're trying to say.
They're corrupt too.

Negative.

My department did it.

So you can try what you like to argue points you don't know, but I was literally involved in the process.

Certainly not the only place to have investigated the need for local government.
I mean really what do they do other than pick up rubbish and cause unnecessary red tape?

My department did it.

So you can try what you like to argue points you don't know, but I was literally involved in the process.

Certainly not the only place to have investigated the need for local government.
I mean really what do they do other than pick up rubbish and cause unnecessary red tape?

I read your quote wrong. I thought you were asking about financial modelling for a new aquatic centre.

My department did it.

So if they have looked at it, is there any real possibility of going down the path of 2 tier government and absorbing council into state?
Surely there would be some savings to rate payers if this was to happen.

So if they have looked at it, is there any real possibility of going down the path of 2 tier government and absorbing council into state?
Surely there would be some savings to rate payers if this was to happen.

Not at this early stage.
Unfortunately we're a safe state so they wont go and make a risky move like that even if the benefits are clear.

Too political also. Its a lose-lose for whoever tries to attempt.

The Adelaide Aquatic Centre is a black hole for ratepayers’ money, a new report reveals.
The City Council has this week released a report which reveals it has spent more than $18 million on repairs and upgrades to the North Adelaide complex over the past 10 years.

And a proposal to spend up to $15 million upgrading the ageing centre would do little to improve services or reduce its burden on ratepayers, it says.

Each year it costs the council $700,000 to operate the centre, which was converted into an indoor pool in 1985.

The council has said it would need to spend up to $15 million upgrading the complex, if a bid by the Crows to build a $65 million training and administration complex at the site was knocked back.

Back