Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we are the only city that does it.....
There are plenty of cities that have, and they value and preserve, large green spaces e.g. Hyde Park in London, Central Park in NY. So I don't think we can go "oh, only in Adelaide", as though it's some sort of glass dome / old fashioned thing.

That said, I think there are two other factors

1. Due to our climate, Adelaide's parks are less naturally attractive (lush / green / grassy / etc) than e.g. Hyde Park, and they are less likely to attract happy picnickers or whatever. We don't need to / shouldn't try to make them "English gardens" but that "dustbowl/bush" characteristic should influence how we "develop" them. There is less intrinsic value to the population of the city in having an outpost of Australian bush smack in the middle of / around the city, than in having something that is at least "usable" for more than just bushwalking.

2. And we should have facilities other than just scrub, that support the use of the parklands for recreation. Buildings adjacent to sporting fields, and the like. Again, as they do in other major cities and their parks.

So I am opposed to the parklands lobby's "no development of any kind, anywhere, just scrub and gumtrees" approach. I think we could make much more of our parklands, while still preserving (well, enhancing) their value to the community.

But at the same time - I dunno, I'm a bit on the fence about an AFC training facility in the parklands. I mean, piggybacked on to preservation of the Aquatic Centre, that was a good idea because it would result in preservation of a community facility. But to plonk it down in/on an existing open space.... I think somewhere like Thebarton is a better idea.

But I'm not going to die on that hill. Judge the proposal on its merits, and if we can do something suitable based on Park 10 (or whatever it is), then let's have a look.

Last edited:

There are plenty of cities that have, and they value and preserve, large green spaces e.g. Hyde Park in London, Central Park in NY. So I don't think we can go "oh, only in Adelaide", as though it's some sort of glass dome / old fashioned thing.

That said, I think there are two other factors

1. Due to our climate, Adelaide's parks are less naturally attractive (lush / green / grassy / etc) than e.g. Hyde Park, and they are less likely to attract happy picnickers or whatever. We don't need to / shouldn't try to make them "English gardens" but that "dustbowl/bush" characteristic should influence how we "develop" them. There is less intrinsic value to the population of the city in having an outpost of Australian bush smack in the middle of / around the city, than in having something that is at least "usable" for more than just bushwalking.

2. And we should have facilities other than just scrub, that support the use of the parklands for recreation. Buildings adjacent to sporting fields, and the like. Again, as they do in other major cities and their parks.

So I am opposed to the parklands lobby's "no development of any kind, anywhere, just scrub and gumtrees" approach. I think we could make much more of our parklands, while still preserving (well, enhancing) their value to the community.

But at the same time - I dunno, I'm a bit on the fence about an AFC training facility in the parklands. I mean, piggybacked on to preservation of the Aquatic Centre, that was a good idea because it would result in preservation of a community facility. But to plonk it down in/on an existing open space.... I think somewhere like Thebarton is a better idea.

But I'm not going to die on that hill. Judge the proposal on its merits, and if we can do something suitable based on Park 10 (or whatever it is), then let's have a look.
This is spot on

Much of the parklands is only used by bull ants

If that whole council/nursery site was moved, and a bit of rearrangement was done of the fields, there is a LOT of room for both an admin centre and an oval (or even use of two ovals).
There'd be less grounds for the Parklands nutters to oppose us building an oval on the nursery grounds but why would the council give up the nursery facility? Has it become slightly redundant or could they now have better alternative nursery options?

Not sure if already said, but Roo said on a podcast that the deal for the Aquatic Centre is effectively dead. Just said it was tracking well until the pandemic hit and hasn’t been tracking well since. Seems like a massive missed opportunity to revamp that North Adelaide area.
A rare blunder by Adelaide City Council

Soo why aren’t we negotiating to build a new facility for Adelaide uni adjacent park 10 and we take over park 12 which is much closer to Adelaide oval, the facilities would then get used for pre & post match functions as it is much closer compared to the logistics of Thebarton or even park 10 which is over twice the distance of park 12.

There'd be less grounds for the Parklands nutters to oppose us building an oval on the nursery grounds but why would the council give up the nursery facility? Has it become slightly redundant or could they now have better alternative nursery options?
$$$. Hard to resist for councils these days.

They could move the nursery facility to the aquatic centre! :)

Soo why aren’t we negotiating to build a new facility for Adelaide uni adjacent park 10 and we take over park 12 which is much closer to Adelaide oval, the facilities would then get used for pre & post match functions as it is much closer compared to the logistics of Thebarton or even park 10 which is over twice the distance of park 12.
Not sure why we’d get the ok from the council for a new facility when they didn’t even want us to fix their money draining pool.

They could move the nursery facility to the aquatic centre! :)
That would be absolutely
signature-hilarious-jpg.408282

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why we’d get the ok from the council for a new facility when they didn’t even want us to fix their money draining pool.

That is an excellent question. Why would they? Conspiracy theorist in me wonders if it's an option known to certain failure to be used as evidence we didn't just jump straight in bed with the SANFL. I'm not as certain as relapse, but I have tingles where he has serious concerns.

I don't think proximity to AO should be a major criterion.

I just cannot see Bob Neil supporting the Park 10 proposal. Unless it’s always the Blacks training at night and the Crows by day with the Blacks using the oval on weekends for their lower grade teams. Might see a bit too much public scrutiny on hack Uni footballers who might also struggle on an AO or MCG sized oval.

That is an excellent question. Why would they? Conspiracy theorist in me wonders if it's an option known to certain failure to be used as evidence we didn't just jump straight in bed with the SANFL. I'm not as certain as relapse, but I have tingles where he has serious concerns.

I am desperately hoping that Olsen proves me wrong and will happily admit it too if it happens.

I would just love to see us announce the nursery (or anywhere that's not tied to the SANFL) as our new location and also appoint someone like Vozzo to the job. I would be the first to congratulate the club and admit that I was wrong.

I am desperately hoping that Olsen proves me wrong and will happily admit it too if it happens.

I would just love to see us announce the nursery (or anywhere that's not tied to the SANFL) as our new location and also appoint someone like Vozzo to the job. I would be the first to congratulate the club and admit that I was wrong.

I don't think you will gave to say you are wrong.

It'll be "look how good this deal is for the Crows" - whilst conveniently benefiting the SANFL.

And some of us will ask "why did we accept that or why didn't we do that?"

You can hear the reply already "it was the best deal possible"

In two minds re the Parklands these days,
While I like the idea of the closest to AO,
I would also like a location that allows the Crows AFLW and eventually the SANFL team to play home games,
And maybe any money generated by these events going back to the Crows.

And one thing that will not happen is the Parkland being fenced to comply with AFLW and SANFL rules.
So looking at the parklands venture it becomes a Training base only. with maybe an after game event,
Thebby opens up the AFLW and possibly the SANFL but requires the Club to set up an after-game venue at the tennis center.

This morning I gazed into my crystal ball and had a look into the future. Here is what I saw:

An administration head office presence in the City. We are the Adelaide Crows, not the North Adelaide Crows, or the Thebarton Crows.

Two fenced ovals; one mirroring Adelaide Oval and one aligned to the Melbourne Cricket Ground. If we are ever going to play finals again, we must be able to train on a ground with MCG dimensions.

All existing grounds and associated buildings, including grandstands will be cleared and we will start with a clean canvas.

Looking deeper into the crystal ball, I saw our SANFL side hosting home games.

I'm not sure what else, my alarm went off and woke me from my slumber. I will keep you posted if I have the same dream tonight.

If Thebarton, flatten it and start again, building a true Crows home ground.

New deal with the council, Crows as lead tenant, SANFL and amatuer league can lease something from us on our terms if they want to stay.

We'd be bringing so much to the precinct that it would be ridiculous for us to be under or even equal to either of those groups just because we we're invited third.

If the council really wants us there, as part of a big project, they'll make it happen.

But I don't particularly want us to be part of the SANFL's plans for the site.

It might just be umpires training or whatever now but remember that they have bigger plans for the site https://sanfl.com.au/league/news/sanfl-welcomes-5m-funding-boost-to-transform-thebarton-oval/

Surely if we are involved that is all scrapped? Some of the ideas are good but we'd have to lead all of that.

We need far more than a corner of an SANFL controlled ground with stands, gates and buildings honoring their people, naming rights sold to Aldi or something with the SANFL collecting the $$$, their sponsors around the grounds/stands and all of that.

Like I've said before, maybe that's all unreasonable. maybe it's not fair to come in and demolish the history that's there or kick the SANFL down to a second tier tenant, but if that's the case, lets find somewhere else.

Last edited:
It could work perfectly fine in combination with the SANFL and SAAFL. The usage of the ground now can be easily worked around the AFL and AFLW teams. The only training on at the same time would be the state pathway stuff during school holidays, and I'm sure it could be figured out with multiple ovals being on the site etc. Have separate gyms and facilities and all that anyway, it'll be fine.

Back