Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters
State of the art facilities will actually help us move up the ladder... That's the idea.

How did we let things get so bad though?

What were Chapman and Fagan actually doing from 2014 onwards?

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
And lure south Australians back home.. from say.. places like the gold coast.
If you think facilities will lure kids back to Adelaide from the Gold Coast I've got bad news for you.

They might come back for family, friends, or money. Not facilities.

Imagine you are 20 something. Would you move interstate to do the same job with epic more scrutiny and epic less night life for facilities?

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
If you think facilities will lure kids back to Adelaide from the Gold Coast I've got bad news for you.

Imagine you are 20 something. Would you move interstate to do the same job with epic more scrutiny and epic less night life for facilities?
Yeah but do they get free baseball tickets?

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

I didn’t say it’s the only factor. But when the league goes past you, you gotta keep up. If you’re currently in a brand new facility, getting a tour of some dark 25 yo shithole ain’t gonna help the player’s decision making process in our favour.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Yeah but by the end of this season West Lakes will be almost finished and be that tidy Hawthorn style training area they spruiked in the beginning.

I'm more interested in us focusing on getting the motor running rather than worrying about headrest screens and leather upholstery tbh.
Where we train and prepare our players is the most important part of it.

We aren't going to be playing SANFL or SANFLW games down there are we ??

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
There's an element of putting the cart before the horse here. If Smithers wants to be pampered in elite facilities, maybe he should start delivering elite performances again.

And maybe someone should explain to him he'll be moving to another building site.
You keep saying this but I think you're confused. Are you worried about us moving to the SANFL admin office, which will have no impact positive or negative, or moving to another building site which we won't be.....

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
You keep saying this but I think you're confused. Are you worried about us moving to the SANFL admin office, which will have no impact positive or negative, or moving to another building site which we won't be.....
I think it is obvious Thebby is happening.

Face of it a good ground and location.

Could even work well with the SANFL.

However, it only works for us as long as there are no restrictions when we can use the ground(s) and all revenue earnt by us at Thebby is not shared with them.

We won't play Mens SANFL games there, but we should play AFLW games there. Moving from Norwood. SANFL should not benefit from that.

Not to mention revenue from the operation of the club/supporters area.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think it is obvious Thebby is happening.

Face of it a good ground and location.

Could even work well with the SANFL.

However, it only works for us as long as there are no restrictions when we can use the ground(s) and all revenue earnt by us at Thebby is not shared with them.

We won't play Mens SANFL games there, but we should play AFLW games there. Moving from Norwood. SANFL should not benefit from that.

Not to mention revenue from the operation of the club/supporters area.

I'd be pushing for the SANFL team to play home games too, it's a ridiculous thing that we can't.

The rest is a given for me.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Weren’t the facilities upgraded (when Trigg was CEO) shortly before the move to AO?

I seem to remember the term “white elephant” being thrown around a lot back then.
2010 or 11 I think.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Weren’t the facilities upgraded (when Trigg was CEO) shortly before the move to AO?

I seem to remember the term “white elephant” being thrown around a lot back then.
I think this is correct; and I think we depreciated it much faster than usual for that reason.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I'd be pushing for the SANFL team to play home games too, it's a ridiculous thing that we can't.

The rest is a given for me.
I would prefer they play as curtain raisers to AFL games.

As our home SANFL games at AO.

Can't see either happening as the other clubs benefit from the extra "home" games.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Can't see either happening as the other clubs benefit from the extra "home" games.

We're barely allowed to train on AO, they aren't going to let us play extra games on it.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
2010 or 11 I think.
I think this is correct; and I think we depreciated it much faster than usual for that reason.

If my memory serves me correctly AO was already in the pipeline at the time. So we had the choice between upgrading or waiting it out a bit longer, right?

Which is where we are at again.

Our luck and timing seems to be impeccable...

It’s almost as if we are poorly managed.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Chapman leaving us to live and train in a dumpster is his legacy. The moment that the Adelaide Oval move looked the slightest bit likely, they should have been planning our move.
It really was incredibly poor from our club leaders. Chapman has proven over time, that he is nothing if not completely unable to read a room.

It really was incredibly poor from our club leaders. Chapman has proven over time, that he is nothing if not completely unable to read a room.

But the review found that they were doing a great job...

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
But the review found that they were doing a great job...
Ah yes, that review that didn't review the administration, said that the administration were doing such a fabulous job, especially Chapman, even though Chapman's role wasn't even remotely part of the review. So glad they went out of their way to confirm that :drunk:
What an absolute flog Chapman is.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

I don't think the other clubs benefit from the extra home game - they generally cut back on match day activations for games involving us/Port because they're generally viewed as poorer drawing games (on top of the logistics of having their Reserves side potentially playing elsewhere that weekend)

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I don't think the other clubs benefit from the extra home game - they generally cut back on match day activations for games involving us/Port because they're generally viewed as poorer drawing games (on top of the logistics of having their Reserves side potentially playing elsewhere that weekend)
A good reason to let us have home games then

Either at Thebby or AO.

Back