Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters
Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
The Womens and Children's Hospital I presume is govt owned and will be sold or redeveloped once the new hospital is finished being built in a few years? Maybe we can do a deal with them that would be cheaper than something privately owned, like the brewery. I presume those old hospital buildings (red roof on KWR) will need to be kept - so turn them into administration area - put in an oval overlapping across the dead end street (no longer needed) and a bit of parklands to the north. Build new facilities in the rest of the space to the south of the oval where the hospital building currently are. Use Park 12 or Adelaide Oval as a 2nd oval when need be.
WCH Crows.png

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Because they need us, that's why.

The vast majority of said development will come from us. We play nice enough, but in the end we dictate terms.

If we and Port decided to leave the SANFL it would have dire consequences.
I disagree, they will use AFL when possible but they do not need the AFL.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
More apartments. That's what we need in SA....

Well that's depressing.
Higher density housing close to the city is exactly what is needed. It in theory is more energy efficient which is important for reducing carbon emissions.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
In the paper today that Marshall wants to build a new sporting precinct by the rail yards for with an indoor arena for basketball and concerts to replace the Entertainment Centre (though I think they've promised that before).

Surely if that goes ahead we'd be trying to build something, or get access to it for post game functions.

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
The Womens and Children's Hospital I presume is govt owned and will be sold or redeveloped once the new hospital is finished being built in a few years? Maybe we can do a deal with them that would be cheaper than something privately owned, like the brewery. I presume those old hospital buildings (red roof on KWR) will need to be kept - so turn them into administration area - put in an oval overlapping across the dead end street (no longer needed) and a bit of parklands to the north. Build new facilities in the rest of the space to the south of the oval where the hospital building currently are. Use Park 12 or Adelaide Oval as a 2nd oval when need be.View attachment 1080183
There is not much flat land around the W&C hospital, so not sure if it would make an ideal location for a new oval. And as you mentioned there would be some heritage listed buildings in there so just adds another level of complexity.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Ah yes, that review that didn't review the administration, said that the administration were doing such a fabulous job, especially Chapman, even though Chapman's role wasn't even remotely part of the review. So glad they went out of their way to confirm that :drunk:
What an absolute flog Chapman is.
They reviewed the admin, they didn't review the board.

The board are all volunteers, who are there for governance purposes (and hopefully, a bit of leadership). There's no performance agreement with a board member, or KPIs.

Good to see Olsen is doing a lot better. Pride would be the main motivation, and hopefully some love of the club.

Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
In the paper today that Marshall wants to build a new sporting precinct by the rail yards for with an indoor arena for basketball and concerts to replace the Entertainment Centre (though I think they've promised that before).

Surely if that goes ahead we'd be trying to build something, or get access to it for post game functions.

why?

The club has already identified Memorial Drive tennis center as a much more suitable place.

Location would be far closer, would be far cheaper and more convenient for players to get to.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
They reviewed the admin, they didn't review the board.

The board are all volunteers, who are there for governance purposes (and hopefully, a bit of leadership). There's no performance agreement with a board member, or KPIs.

Good to see Olsen is doing a lot better. Pride would be the main motivation, and hopefully some love of the club.
The original Dunstall led review only reviewed the Football Department. It didn't review administration at all. Which is what made the newspaper article about how complimentary the review was to Chapman, all the more hilarious and pathetic.

Since Olsen started, he instigated a review of the administration, which is why we no longer have Smart or Fagan.

Just on that I was talking to a guy the other day who does a lot of work with different sporting clubs. He described the Adelaide Football Club (over the past 5 years or so) as a complete sh!tshow. He said that Nigel Smart was one of the dumbest people he had met. He said Smart had a combination of arrogance and ignorance that was dangerous to an organisation.
He said the AFC was very much convinced it was superior to everyone else, despite being one of the most amateurish he had worked with.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers

You have to wonder if we are going to look to get in on this development. We could add in our administration building, weights room, pool etc... and make it a little hub for basketball as well. Maybe we take over ownership of the 36ers and bring them in to the club. Add it in as a venue for Basketball SA high performance programs and you have something that might appeal to the government.

Could this be where we split the administration and then train at Thebarton?

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
Weren’t the facilities upgraded (when Trigg was CEO) shortly before the move to AO?

I seem to remember the term “white elephant” being thrown around a lot back then.

May 2009, our then CEO was seeking compo for the facility if we ever left AAMI stadium...

Looks like we moved in there in November 2009 (pre-season training for 2010).

The AFL at Adelaide Oval announcement comes in December 2009. Our then new facility at AAMI stadium becomes a white elephant instantly, need to get out of there ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
The original Dunstall led review only reviewed the Football Department. It didn't review administration at all. Which is what made the newspaper article about how complimentary the review was to Chapman, all the more hilarious and pathetic.

Since Olsen started, he instigated a review of the administration, which is why we no longer have Smart or Fagan.

Just on that I was talking to a guy the other day who does a lot of work with different sporting clubs. He described the Adelaide Football Club (over the past 5 years or so) as a complete sh!tshow. He said that Nigel Smart was one of the dumbest people he had met. He said Smart had a combination of arrogance and ignorance that was dangerous to an organisation.
He said the AFC was very much convinced it was superior to everyone else, despite being one of the most amateurish he had worked with.

your mate sounds a bit arrogant and second rate himself

Imagine going round saying that stuff to make yourself sound clever

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Just about every fool thinks someone in some sort of managerial or leadership position is incompetent and that they themselves could do it all better.

This person may not be wrong but I wouldn't be the fool running about with anecdotal evidence presenting it as fact. I'd want to know who that person is before giving any credence to their views.

'A guy that does a lot of work with sporting clubs' sounds as vague as it does unimpressive. Anyone can put on a suit, slap together a PPT and call themselves a guru on the circuit free from any accountability of how to actually implement the various aspirational ideas you stole off Google Image search in an organisation.

No, anecdotes need names or forget about their relevancy. You only get left looking the fool.

Actually that reminds me of a time back in high school....

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Cannot see that working. basically there saying the players outdoor training will be on the parklands no facilities,
There so much wrong with that,
They are expecting a professional sporting club to cross one of the busiest roads in SA, with all their training gear, medical supplies etc,
And Hope the Players do not need to use the toilets during training or need to be medical transported across the road.

Might be OK for the limited number of supporters who want an after game venue but for a Professional sporting club no way.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Cannot see that working. basically there saying the players outdoor training will be on the parklands no facilities,
There so much wrong with that,
They are expecting a professional sporting club to cross one of the busiest roads in SA, with all their training gear, medical supplies etc,
And Hope the Players do not need to use the toilets during training or need to be medical transported across the road.

Might be OK for the limited number of supporters who want an after game venue but for a Professional sporting club no way.
they are going to put an pedestrian overpass.

Back