Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

I don't mind it but the being in the Parklands does make me nervous, as in if we ever want to expand or whatever, how hard will it be to push through. Right now we'd probably get a fair bit of what we want, the council would be happy to be done with the Aquatic Centre responsibility, wouldn't they?

I don't need a large supporters venue, but it would be great if they could build something that opens up to and welcomes the public, rather than a concrete bunker. Maybe a concourse through the centre of the development with Crowmania, a couple of food outlets with sponsors product leading to somewhere we can sit and watch training, basically the feel of walking into the southern end of Adelaide Oval. Put the player gym upstairs overlooking the concourse behind glass. Just something to connect the public to the club.

on the parklands? cannot see the council letting it through, unless their is a huge benefit to them of course.
The Aquatic Centre is near dead. It is cheaper for the ACC to pass it off than spend money

5AA reporting from the SA Best Pantellis reckon we are deep into a multi million development at the site.

This has obviously been speculated about but it seems to be growing legs.

And I say “Bring it on”!!!!
Surely will help being closer to Adelaide Oval, particularly with recovery after games.

Yes but how much would it cost for us to repurpose it compared to a cleaner site.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
This is where it gets interesting.

Do they want a training/supporter base ie the whole box and dice or just a supporter base? If they want a supporter catch up then grab a pub. ie the Squatters Arms , end of George St and 10 minutes from the Oval is perfect.

The hints around the Aquatic centre suggest training. Its the need for indoor training, weights, etc along with ideas like AFC3000 that will cost the money.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but how much would it cost for us to repurpose it compared to a cleaner site.

Except ACC won’t allow a cleaner site

It’s perfect for them, pretty good for us

And we’d need good incentives to move away from WL

This is where it gets interesting.

Do they want a training/supporter base ie the whole box and dice or just a supporter base? If they want a supporter catch up then grab a pub. ie the Squatters Arms , end of George St and 10 minutes from the Oval is perfect.

The hints around the Aquatic centre suggest training. Its the need for indoor training, weights, etc along with ideas like AFC3000 that will cost the money.

I'm sure Rowey mentioned demolition of the Aquatic Centre when he read it but I wasn't listening closely enough to know if he had more info than just that Tweet from Frank Pangallo.

If true, it will be interesting to see if we've partnered up with someone (council, government, education) to fund this like many of the bigger developments at other AFL clubs over the last few years, or if we'd go it alone, the latest lot of AFL club training facilities are not cheap.

I think Fremantle's new training centre is an Aquatic Centre type partnership as well, costing well over 100 million, while West Coast have recently spent about $60 million on their own facility, a project that I think would look pretty appropriate in the Park Lands.

Except ACC won’t allow a cleaner site

It’s perfect for them, pretty good for us

And we’d need good incentives to move away from WL
I do wonder if the developers who own West Lakes really want that land and are wanting to pay us to leave.

Have heard some whispers some money around womans footy could be explored as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hey... I’m, where *is* the AGM?

Oh FFS I was just at Adelaide Oval, no people, no signs, figured i Gorbachev it wrong and it must be at West Lakes, leave

Check website, it’s at Adelaide Oval

First question to Fagan - why were there no ******* signs at the Oval?!?!

Right now - I am not a fan at all, though the deal can persuade me if there is evident purpose behind it, and not boiling down to a moronic argument of "it's Adelaide, we're Adelaide, Mabo". This however feels like a potential decision that doesn't have the eyes on a premiership, but chasing short term gains.

Back