Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's Funny that only a couple of the Adelaide City Counsellors have seen the writing on the Wall,
This could be the end of there overseeing of the Park Lands,
And Yes the Council only oversee the Parklands they do not own the parklands nor do their residents. The Parklands are owned by all South Australians.
If they Fight this with the same venom they fought most other projects then the State government is poised to take over and turn the parklands into a State Park, Which will remove a large chunk of financial support from the Adelaide Council, and remove any controls,
This could be the beginning of the end for the Adelaide City Council.

The Crows are currently using the system the Council set up to apply for a training base. It, not the Last option, and they Have at least 10 years before they will need to revamp their current setup to keep up with the Joneses.
And If this fails I expect the State Government to step in,
Note if the Crows set up at the Aquatic centre then patronage to that area increases, meaning more South Australians will be using the Parklands for recreational use. ie watching Training, family days, Fun sporting days, Organised charity days, etc. and that not including improved patronage at the swimming.
And that is one of the main reasons we have the parklands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know you knew (I thought) ... but it was an op to post some translation links (that second one is kinda naughty but funny).

Agreed and i will make use of it :thumbsu:

My only thoughts on this are for us never to get into bed with the ACC unless our lawyers make the deal watertight.. The ACC have a history of mismanagement. The North Adelaide residents rule. Who remembers the AO light towers?

My only thoughts on this are for us never to get into bed with the ACC unless our lawyers make the deal watertight.. The ACC have a history of mismanagement. The North Adelaide residents rule. Who remembers the AO light towers?
Relations were a bit ... up and down?** :grin:

**unlike the lights

The problem I have with this "protection" of the Park Lands is that Col Light was all for development. As much as the land was for defence of the city of Adelaide it was also to aid in recreational pursuits, including those that need infrastructure.

Col Light was a forward thinker. Protecting the Park Lands to keep his "vision" is the antithesis of this.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can't see where the council is contradicting any of that though. The only thing that seems off the table in terms of allowing recreational pursuits is the denial of a permanent license. They just don't want a massive F&B outlet created there. I don't live in SA, so I've probably missed a lot, but the only angst that I've noticed centres around liquor sales and late night noisy events. I could just imagine every one else in SA being absolutely thrilled when development comes to their local park that will include a licensed premises that intends to have live music or operate beyond midnight. As soon as a ratepayer of the ACC is concerned about the amenity of the area it's all guns blazing about the NIMBY elite. But there's shirt tins of example of everyday South Aussies lodging objections against petrol stations, bunnings and any other development even if they're not associated with late nights and loud noise. Didn't Maccas have a lot of trouble getting development consent to build a restaurant in butt furq Gawler? Any of those people labelled elitist NIMBYS? Anti-development is everywhere and in many places that aren't even worth protecting at all.

Screw you all, leave my park lands alone, my dogs piss there and that's a far more important purpose than anything that involves any of you.

The ACC is doing what councils do, but I see this being a win/win for the local residents and the AFC.

A new and modern swimming centre built near the top of O'Connell St, alongside a couple of well maintained ovals would be great for everyone. There will be public access issues to work through, and there'll need to be an area off limits to dogs, but I can't see too much downside for the gentle folk of North Adelaide.

And you were going so well.

Thinking about today's match at AO and parking, having a ginormous carpark under the training oval could be a great incentive for members on gameday, somewhere nearby to park and go back to club rooms aftermatch to hang around. Could even make money by charging Poot supporters on their AO gamedays.

Would think construction wise, a carpark under a playing field only would cost less to build than if it had to support structures like a building above it.

I'm not too sure about that. You're talking about digging out a massive cavern of some description, surely a lot of engineering work and much of the same structural support that's required when digging a hole, shoring the edges and then concreting. There's a bit more to it, but ultimately it's pretty simple and not that expensive. I was involved in the building of the Supreme Court up here recently, 4 up and 1 down. Whole thing went up and fitted out for a tick over $20m and that includes importing just about every contractor apart from civil, pre-cast manufacture, concrete supply and 20 or so internally employed workers.

1560419469849.png

I'm not too sure about that. You're talking about digging out a massive cavern of some description, surely a lot of engineering work and much of the same structural support that's required when digging a hole, shoring the edges and then concreting. There's a bit more to it, but ultimately it's pretty simple and not that expensive. I was involved in the building of the Supreme Court up here recently, 4 up and 1 down. Whole thing went up and fitted out for a tick over $20m and that includes importing just about every contractor apart from civil, pre-cast manufacture, concrete supply and 20 or so internally employed workers.

View attachment 691597
I think we're in agreement? Having to support a couple of metres of earth would be cheaper than the engineering to support a multistorey building above it as well I would think. The sheer size of excavating a large carpark space is another matter of course.

Back