Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
The club will work out if it’s worth it but once it’s completed it will be an iconic presence in the city.

I reckon you’d be surprised. Doesn’t mean you have to sit and watch the whole session, but I know if I’m cruising past I would stop and watch some. There will constantly be people around the club instead of some monument where the boys club is too far removed from reality.
There are countless posts on this board about how inept our club has been in decision making, many from yourself and you tell me you think the club has really thought this through and evaluated it as the best option?

Or is it just the best option for the club to point to this iconic location our club sits in (beat their chest and say "I built this"), despite the actual facilities the players use having to be compromised due to red tape and bloated costs.

End of the day I want our club to win enough games in a season to win a Premiership. If this facility has no compromises to developing players and is on par with what the better clubs in the league are doing so be it.

But does anyone here truly believe dealing with the ACCC and North Adelaide residents will allow for that?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
There are countless posts on this board about how inept our club has been in decision making, many from yourself and you tell me you think the club has really thought this through and evaluated it as the best option?

Or is it just the best option for the club to point to this iconic location our club sits in (beat their chest and say "I built this", despite the actual facilities the players use having to be compromised due to red tape and bloated costs.

End of the day I want our club to win enough games in a season to win a Premiership. If this facility has no compromises to developing players and is on par with what the better clubs in the league are doing so be it.

But does anyone here truly believe dealing with the ACCC and North Adelaide residents will allow for that?

The clubs issues are with the football department, when it comes to the business side they aren’t in bad shape.

Your talking about comprises that will impact on our ability to win flags, like what? Half an oval? Small gym room? Toddlers pool? All of that stuff will be state of the art.

The compromises will be non-licensed facility and that type of stuff, not how we set up our football program around it.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The clubs issues are with the football department, when it comes to the business side they aren’t in bad shape.

Your talking about comprises that will impact on our ability to win flags, like what? Half an oval? Small gym room? Toddlers pool? All of that stuff will be state of the art.

The compromises will be non-licensed facility and that type of stuff, not how we set up our football program around it.

Two ovals.
A massive indoor area to run drills
Medical facilities so they dont have to go off site.
Multiple recovery areas. Cold, heat and sleep recovery.
A theatre with multiple zones to run multiple theory sessions concurrently.

And the basics like pool and weights room.

It all takes space....

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Two ovals.
A massive indoor area to run drills
Medical facilities so they dont have to go off site.
Multiple recovery areas. Cold, heat and sleep recovery.
A theatre with multiple zones to run multiple theory sessions concurrently.

And the basics like pool and weights room.

It all takes space....

The oval is supposed to be of sufficient size that they tailor to various grounds dimensions. You don’t need 2 ovals.

You don’t think we will get that stuff?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Also need carparking for the hordes of supporters going to training....

No point popping in for training while driving past if you cant park the car...

You don’t think they’ll have parking either? So what will this $60M be spent on? A sandwich maker? Tell me did you want footy to stay at Footy Park too?

Also need carparking for the hordes of supporters going to training....

No point popping in for training while driving past if you cant park the car...

Don't forget the pre-game BBQ.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
You don’t think they’ll have parking either? So what will this $60M be spent on? A sandwich maker? Tell me did you want footy to stay at Footy Park too?
Let's just see how it goes.

If we get a facility as good as WCE and the other elite facilities in the comp I will be happy.

The only negative I had with moving to AO was the management set up. Which is coming to fruition now.

Footy had to move into the city.

Where our guys train each day does not. It is a luxury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
A car park would be ok and a bbq area would also be fine but I think we have gone past bbqs at the shed. Or at least dying off.

I cant see people parking at the training facilities/clubroom and walking/training to AO
We can all just have Uber eats come to our cars in the carpark.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I think a setup up at North Adelaide and an association with a nearby pub would be awesome

I attended the shed after every home game at Footy Park, the current offering at AO is a soulless joke.

If its say the caledonian and we get a Crows room and atleast a few players, rather than the last picked player that would be great, because getting the 22nd picked player who got 2 touches doesn't make you feel part of the club.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Or is it just the best option for the club to point to this iconic location our club sits in (beat their chest and say "I built this"), despite the actual facilities the players use having to be compromised due to red tape and bloated costs.

Yep, the sight is already developed. It’s not going to be bogged down with red tape or bloated costs because we’ll submit our drawings and business model in line with their requirements and we’ll either get a yes or a no. Blackfriars won’t be a problem, they’ll see this as an opportunity and will be reasonable. If not, we walk away. We’re in control because this is something we’d like to do, not need to do. We have legitimate plan Bs that would be more in line with current industry trends. Plan B includes saying to members that we tried, we believed Adelaide city was the best spot for us, but we couldn’t get it past the council.

I think a setup up at North Adelaide and an association with a nearby pub would be awesome

I attended the shed after every home game at Footy Park, the current offering at AO is a soulless joke.

If its say the caledonian and we get a Crows room and atleast a few players, rather than the last picked player that would be great, because getting the 22nd picked player who got 2 touches doesn't make you feel part of the club.
Probably helps make him feel part of the club

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
I just wish there was more concrete evidence of the Caledonian being part of the plan besides a throw away comment a few months ago from Rucci.

If that happens then

600x600.jpg

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yep, the sight is already developed. It’s not going to be bogged down with red tape or bloated costs because we’ll submit our drawings and business model in line with their requirements and we’ll either get a yes or a no. Blackfriars won’t be a problem, they’ll see this as an opportunity and will be reasonable. If not, we walk away. We’re in control because this is something we’d like to do, not need to do. We have legitimate plan Bs that would be more in line with current industry trends. Plan B includes saying to members that we tried, we believed Adelaide city was the best spot for us, but we couldn’t get it past the council.
I hope you are right.

I just want what is best for the success of our club. If this site provides it and my concerns are unfounded I will be more than happy to he wrong on this.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I just wish there was more concrete evidence of the Caledonian being part of the plan besides a throw away comment a few months ago from Rucci.

If that happens then

600x600.jpg
Our supporter group could just adopt it as our pub.

Even if the club does not lease it or use it officially us supporters could just make it our supporters club. I am sure the owners would be in board with this.

Back