Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a new facility, that much is abundantly clear. And like those clubs, it should be near to where we play.

The clubroom idea is a relic
So even though we are at the behest of a shitty council with a comprised proposal?

Why do posters want it to be at this site?
I think it's an excellent spot for the Crows and about time the Adelaide Crows were in Adelaide.

I think it brings the club closer to it's fans in terms of being able to see them train atc, I also think it makes the club a far more attractive proposition as a employer as well (it's central).

I like you want some sort of club facilities, but I'm prepared to wait and see on what they are proposing, permanent liquor licence would be preferred but I can't see it as a compete turn off.

So even though we are at the behest of a shitty council with a comprised proposal?
We aren't really compromised in a training facility sense though. We will get what we want, and the public get to share in it.

Do people go to the Staples centre and expect to hang with LeBron after a game?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
They shuffle you out of there so fast your head is spinning. Same at Madison Square Garden for the knicks games.

Issue with West Lakes was public transport access .....how does West Beach improve upon what we already have?

Hawthorn, a very successful club is based at the old ‎Waverley Park .....27 km from the city ....same as West Lakes, no transport
Mate it’s right next to an airport!

My bet is that prior to any inundation we’ll roll into a cold spell, so I’d be pretty relaxed about being 5 streets back from the beach.

Possible, but I wouldn't bank on it. It would require an environmental response that we haven't seen in what we know of the earths history.

We're quite competent at predicting long term climate trends.

What part is compromised? We're getting a training and admin facility. That's everything we're after here.

Possible, but I wouldn't bank on it. It would require an environmental response that we haven't seen in what we know of the earths history.

We're quite competent at predicting long term climate trends.

It has occurred before, requires a hell of a lot of water melting into the North Atlantic. We’ll lose a few streets before it kicks in.

I'm strongly in favour of urgent action on climate change, but the producer of that Youtube video is a joker. Sea levels may rise by 90 centimetres at worst by the end of this century - and perhaps 3 metres in a high-emissions scenario after 2100. A high-emissions scenario would, of course, bring a raft of other problems to society.

West Lakes might actually have some flooding issues during king tides before the century is out. But graphics of seawater lapping at Thebarton or Edwardstown are ludicrous.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Size restrictions, have to build an Aquatic centre for public use, open oval, so not much compromise
The size of the place is smaller than what the aquatic centre currently is, we haven't even maximized the area we could've done.

Many clubs now allow public use of some facilities too, the pool is sparingly used by players on a daily basis as it is.

So you're right, not much compromise at all. Cheer up EC.

The size of the place is smaller than what the aquatic centre currently is, we haven't even maximized the area we could've done.

Many clubs now allow public use of some facilities too, the pool is sparingly used by players on a daily basis as it is.

So you're right, not much compromise at all. Cheer up EC.
So we are building an aquatic centre our players will hardly use just because we are a nice club.

Size wise, take out the Aquatic centre, how does it compare to West Lakes?

Closed training sessions are now no longer an option.

It’s not a matter of cheering up, it’s a matter of not just accepting a comprised plan and flapping over it.

So we are building an aquatic centre our players will hardly use just because we are a nice club.

It’s not a matter of cheering up, it’s a matter of not just accepting a comprised plan and flapping over it.

Do we have anything left at west lakes apart from the oval and admin/training centre? If so, I’d imagine our usable space will increase. We know there’s a fair bit of water to go under the bridge, but it would be good if the club could outline the potential benefits of the move in a football sense.

We built a pool at West Lakes too, one of the first clubs to have a permanent one. Having people pay to use it helps pay the bills.

Of course closed sessions are an option, you know that big oval we play at every second week ?? We managed to close out West Lakes despite being able to see it from the road. Footprint wise compared to our facility down there I believe it's slightly larger, but you'd have to look at the specs of WL to know for sure.

You're at a point where you're looking negatively at everything we do.... and I understand that. This isn't a negative at all.

Has anyone put 2 and 2 together? I have the perfect location.

No traffic
Easy to get to
Plenty of space
Great weather
Low crime rates
No parking fines
Low cost of living
Close to the beach, yet still only 5 mins from town

Port Augusta

What do you think Carmo?
Imagine how long Jack Gunston would have stayed.

Do we have anything left at west lakes apart from the oval and admin/training centre? If so, I’d imagine our usable space will increase. We know there’s a fair bit of water to go under the bridge, but it would be good if the club could outline the potential benefits of the move in a football sense.
We haven’t done anything to our training centre at West Lakes, so the facilities are still there. We have a large indoor training area, do we have the same at AO?

Kane Cornes is a flog but he does raise a good point, what have we forgone on this site? He said clubs are incorporating running tracks at their facilities for example.

And you’re right, the club hasn’t outlined the potential benefits in a football sense.

We haven’t done anything to our training centre at West Lakes, so the facilities are still there. We have a large indoor training area, do we have the same at AO?

Kane Cornes is a flog but he does raise a good point, what have we forgone on this site? He said clubs are incorporating running tracks at their facilities for example.

And you’re right, the club hasn’t outlined the potential benefits in a football sense.
What benefit is a running track ?? Football is played on grass.

The facilities at West Lakes haven't been renovated or touched in over a decade, some parts longer. They were ahead of the game then, in fact NC demanded as much, but now they need work.

I'd think the benefits of moving from an old, broken house in need of repair that has diminishing space to a new house is pretty clear.

We built a pool at West Lakes too, one of the first clubs to have a permanent one. Having people pay to use it helps pay the bills.

Of course closed sessions are an option, you know that big oval we play at every second week ?? We managed to close out West Lakes despite being able to see it from the road. Footprint wise compared to our facility down there I believe it's slightly larger, but you'd have to look at the specs of WL to know for sure.

You're at a point where you're looking negatively at everything we do.... and I understand that. This isn't a negative at all.
Yeah a pool v an Aquatic centre, that’s a fair comparison. How often do we get to train at AO?

I’m at the point where the club is spending $65M on a once only facility and I want to ensure it’s the best facility, not just accept it because it’s the plan we’ve come up with. One that is subject to compromise to fit in with a pain in the arse council and one that’s not even a club but an admin and training facility. The fact we have to comprise to seek their approval

The club I want is one that I can pop in and have a beer, to watch an away game at whilst having a beer, to have a couple of beers there pregame and post game.

What benefit is a running track ?? Football is played on grass.

The facilities at West Lakes haven't been renovated or touched in over a decade, some parts longer. They were ahead of the game then, in fact NC demanded as much, but now they need work.

I'd think the benefits of moving from an old, broken house in need of repair that has diminishing space to a new house is pretty clear.
Serious question about the running track? So the clubs who are building ones are just idiots? When we do our time trials, where do we do them?

The West Lakes and Aquatic centre benefit comparison isn’t really the question is it?

Back