Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We will have more parklands than ever with the return of some of the old RAH site.

Imo, it's a good thing to have green space surrounding the city... but at the same time we need to ensure it's useful space for the community. There is much underutilised space.

Turning a rundown Aquatics Centre into our new state of the art home of AFC, whilst still allowing for use of the pool by the community... including upgrade of ovals, surely enhances the Parklands.

I voted for the Adelaide Oval redevelopment as was clearly the best outcome for both footy & cricket. However, I'm not convinced an adjoining hotel is needed or appropriate.

They're reducing on street car parking actually, which is an overdue start. Can't remove the multistories that are already there.
You haven't heard the most recent plans to revitalise city businesses have you?

You haven't heard the most recent plans to revitalise city businesses have you?

I've seen the news, not read the plans in detail. Aside from parking in the middle of Rundle it doesn't sound like new parks, just changes to parking costs. Still something they're yet to debate anyway.

Mean time, all on street parking on King William Rd south of Victoria Square is about to disappear, as they'll be duplicating the tram only lane north of the square when they replace the end of life rails in the south section, and bring the City South stop up to DDA compliance. That's something that is definitely happening this year, as this is the final year of the extension they got which let them continue to operate City South without it being compliant.

Last edited:

Went to Marshmallow Park yesterday in the Southern Park Land area.

Nice spot and my son loved it. It did get a bit busy and felt a bit cramped from 10am onwards.

If only there was more availiable land around the fringe of the CBD to build a few more parks like this or expand upon this one and make it bigger.

I guess the acres of dry grass wasteland circling the CBD is more appealing?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We will have more parklands than ever with the return of some of the old RAH site.

Imo, it's a good thing to have green space surrounding the city... but at the same time we need to ensure it's useful space for the community. There is much underutilised space.

Turning a rundown Aquatics Centre into our new state of the art home of AFC, whilst still allowing for use of the pool by the community... including upgrade of ovals, surely enhances the Parklands.

I voted for the Adelaide Oval redevelopment as was clearly the best outcome for both footy & cricket. However, I'm not convinced an adjoining hotel is needed or appropriate.
The hotel is ridiculous.

The hotel is ridiculous.

Would much rather the Western Grandstand become weather-proof than the AO Hotel, which I don’t see a reason for to be built at all.
Back to the new HQ, I feel the mixed community use with has the potential to be magnificent whilst providing our players with elite facilities and presence near our home ground and the CBD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The hotel is ridiculous.

It is more than ridiculous, apart from the fact it looks like s**t compared to the magnificent facade the AO currently presents.

There is something murky happening with that development. I don't know what or who nor at what stage, but for this to be pushed through so quickly, especially considering how underwhelming and ****ing ugly it looks on paper, and what a blight on the landscape it's obviously going to be, something's going on.

It is more than ridiculous, apart from the fact it looks like s**t compared to the magnificent facade the AO currently presents.

There is something murky happening with that development. I don't know what or who nor at what stage, but for this to be pushed through so quickly, especially considering how underwhelming and ****ing ugly it looks on paper, and what a blight on the landscape it's obviously going to be, something's going on.

I think it looks pretty similar to how it does now, the renders I've seen make it look just like it's part of the stadium. It's getting pushed through so it can be ready for the t20 world cup in 2020. I think it'll be great and will probably organize to stay there for a couple of games each year. I love the idea of sitting in the apartment drinking a nice bottle of scotch while watching the pre-game and then walking out to my seat 5mins before kick off, then not having to deal with any crowds or public transport after the game. Just go back and watch the replay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it looks pretty similar to how it does now, the renders I've seen make it look just like it's part of the stadium. It's getting pushed through so it can be ready for the t20 world cup in 2020. I think it'll be great and will probably organize to stay there for a couple of games each year. I love the idea of sitting in the apartment drinking a nice bottle of scotch while watching the pre-game and then walking out to my seat 5mins before kick off, then not having to deal with any crowds or public transport after the game. Just go back and watch the replay.
It wasnt planned to have rooms looking into the oval I don’t think, just over the parklands/external areas

John Olsen being involved is enough to send the red flag up for me. Liberal government in works perfectly for him.

I see all your points. For me if there has to be a hotel in this dress circle of Adelaide, then how hard is it to make it look architecturally stunning, instead of it looking like a cover around the front of a stadium? It's a half-thought-out rushed cheap annex with merely 130ish rooms. Yay Adelaide.

John Olsen being involved is enough to send the red flag up for me. Liberal government in works perfectly for him.

There is no other word that describes John Olsen better than dodgy.

Not withstanding how he had to quit as Premier because he was caught out lying and gave false evidence to a judicial enquiry.

There was also the time that Rob Lucas was in Parliament sprouting off about how Haysman was about to be shown the door in favour of Keith Thomas months before it happened. Considering that Olsen was running the SANFL there's no surprise as to where Lucas got that confidential information from.

Olsen is as dodgy as they come and this whole situation with the hotel is just one massive big red flag.

The Hotel has John Olsen written all over it... & he is captain dodgy.

He won't even provide either AFL club, who are the main tenants of AO, any details.

If it is such a great plan, why not provide the details?

Edit - beat by relapse

The Hotel has John Olsen written all over it... & he is captain dodgy.

He won't even provide either AFL club, who are the main tenants of AO, any details.

If it is such a great plan, why not provide the details?

Edit - beat by relapse
Both Port and the Crows want a representative on the SMA board and they fight it like crazy. I wonder why that would be?

The SMA need to go die in a hole.
Lets face it. the move to AO was done pretty poorly. The SMA was always a bad idea, a clean stadium for each club should and sport should have been the model. The returns each club were getting wasn't even nailed down until the first season was underway.

But it was a necessary evil to having footy and cricket at Adelaide Oval it seems, but surely we need a review into what the actual SMA does and why it needs to be so big and expensive to run.

I am an SMA/AO footy member and quite frankly I would be happy to get rid of it and be moved to a Crows only membership.

I reckon it is quite symbolic that the East/West stands are named after two guys that hated each other in Bradman/Basheer. And the stands sit apposed to each other. With the two token stands named after AFL players pushed out to the edges of that Eastern Stand ....

Back