Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is actually a really exciting opportunity; both for the AFC, and the community in general.

If they can tie the two groups together and make a suitable facility for both parties, it could be be a key part in rejuvenating the area.

Prospect Road is awesome these days, but O'Connell is stagnant, at best, this could kick start it.

Should help with our player retension problems as well. Great job by the club.

I think it is a minor issue though.

A lot of people like it.

But as I said natural attrition deems the logo is due to be replaced soon anyway. It is aging and needs a refresh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Forget the ageing argument. A good logo shouldn't age. A bad logo ages on day 1. 10 years doesn't mean too much.

The Aquatic centre site is much larger and provides more space to have the indoor facility right next to 1 or 2 ovals. The W&C site is much smaller and the land would not be flat there either. As mentioned above this will most likely end up as apartments if it ever goes ahead.
The idea would be for the indoor admin, training, supporter facility and gym be located there. They could use park 12 or 10 as their training ovals (3 to 5 min walk away and I’m sure an under pass could be organised - the only issue is when injuries need attending to) .

Having the crows occupy the bottom (say) three floors would be a massive selling point for any developer who wanted to put apartments up above.

Plus there is already a car park across the road.

There is no way the W&CG will be turned into apartments in its current configuration as there is not enough outward facing space. It will need to be knocked down and rebuilt.

The aquatic centre is quite a big footprint. Larger than the Westlakes facility. You would think it would be two storied in some parts, car parking may be the biggest issue.

The aquatic centre is quite a big footprint. Larger than the Westlakes facility. You would think it would be two storied in some parts, car parking may be the biggest issue.
People can park on the ovals

Tradition!

*licensed to the Adelaide University Sports Association.

Subtle, but important difference if anyone had the political will (which they wouldn't).

The Aquatic Centre is a rare opportunity in that it's the only site where you're not going to get significant pushback from the Council (and less pushback from the Parklands Preservation people).
Hands off my soccer pitches thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget the ageing argument. A good logo shouldn't age. A bad logo ages on day 1. 10 years doesn't mean too much.
I agree. The great traditional clubs in world sport (OK mainly soccer) don't change their logos every 5-10 years. Trouble is, all/most of those logos were designed before the days of Marketing Departments. Good luck getting a "forever logo" out of a modern marketing team.

I'd be happy with a Carlton style AFC monogram instead of the cartoon crow as an option on merchandise.

I'm too much of an old codger to be walking around in a Crows polo with that Crows cartoon head on it!

Adelaide_Crows_SANFL_Logo.png
Already have a awesome logo. Had it for years and now used for our Reserves. This on a polo would look 👌

What if they make the logo worse?

If we were still under the Trigg regime I'd fear this. When the current logo was created, the club's design team was using the generic iMovie templates for their videos.

I think today though, I'm confident we have the right graphic design talent in AFC Media to develop a fantastic logo.

Having said that I like the current logo, and I don't think that a rebrand is a major priority at this stage.

Having said that I like the current logo, and I don't think that a rebrand is a major priority at this stage.
No it isnt a major priority but the groundwork can still be done. Given your background what time frames would a club look at? Is it opento the public and how does that effect timing etc?

No it isnt a major priority but the groundwork can still be done. Given your background what time frames would a club look at? Is it opento the public and how does that effect timing etc?

If they were looking at a rebrand, it'll probably be a 12-18 month process at least, including the ground work etc.

Parklands are so overrated.

Their main purpose was to provide clear firing lanes for our cannoneers to mow down Russian or French expeditionary forces with our chain shot whilst allowing our musketeers time to reload 3 or 4 times before they covered the ground.

Now they serve mainly as places for nimbys' dogs to s**t and creeps to loiter in the bushes. All of those useful services could be concentrated in less than half the parks we have now.

Unfortunately you are too smart to ever be involved in the redevelopment of the parklands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the 19th century North Adelaide has been populated entirely by nimbys, killjoys, and the type of people who like to form committees to hear their own voice.

Sounds like the parents on the P&C at my daughters old school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back