Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoiler alert. Council put forward a set of guiding principles that Crows must adhere to in formulating a proposal. After which, public consultation would take place. An amendment was put forward and argument ensued from four councillors that they had skipped a step and not sought public consultation as to whether the people want this development in the first place. The counter argument was let’s go to the community with a plan, rather than a vague what do you want, so they know what it is they are saying yes or no to. It was made clear this is not a foregone conclusion despite the Crows having to spend several hundreds of thousands of dollars putting a concept plan together., that it could be turned down at any stage. In the end, the original proposal, without amendment, was passed. Crows now have a set of guiding principles to move forward in the planning stage.

The five draft guiding principals that Crows must adhere to develop a detailed proposal to proceed to the next step in the process are: community engagement, community benefit, parkland setting, economic outcomes and the value proposition and include the non negotiables
  1. No permanent licensed facility in the parklands
  2. No increased footprint beyond the size what is currently there
  3. No significant change to public access to facilities already there
  4. Current tenants and users need to be included in the process

I would think you can get away with licensing only on game day, therefore not permanent.
But that’s half arsed. The whole idea of a club room is you can go for a meal and a drink at any time, just as you would any restaurant/club.

Also away games, finals etc

But that’s half arsed. The whole idea of a club room is you can go for a meal and a drink at any time, just as you would any restaurant/club.

Also away games, finals etc
So maybe once a week (home and away) and finals. That allows people to go watch the game when they are away but stays within the mandate.

So maybe once a week (home and away) and finals. That allows people to go watch the game when they are away but stays within the mandate.
Still crap, club rooms mean you should be able to got lunch/dinner and drinks any time of the week.

Typical bloody Adelaide Council.

I’d tell them to get ****ed. This is our chance to have a proper club and they are shitting on it from the start

Still crap, club rooms mean you should be able to got lunch/dinner and drinks any time of the week.

Typical bloody Adelaide Council.

I’d tell them to get ******. This is our chance to have a proper club and they are ****ting on it from the start
Very expensive to run a venue full time like that. A good compromise would be to have it only opened when you know people will be around.

Very expensive to run a venue full time like that. A good compromise would be to have it only opened when you know people will be around.
So how does every other sporting club in the world manage? Even your suburban clubs open

So how does every other sporting club in the world manage? Even your suburban clubs open

Realistically, aside from the ones which are just covers for being massive pokies dens they're pretty rare now.

For what it's worth, as to the ACC's conditions, get through the front door now, once you've constructed start pushing the boundaries. The old "lot easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" maxim holds true.

Personally not too fussed about a "clubrooms". I would hardly ever go there anyway.

If you want a "clubrooms" experience go to your local club. They need the money more than an AFL club that makes a group of 20something millionaires.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pokies and volunteers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
And even that’s not a recipe for success. Brisbane Lions Social Club at the Gabba was brilliant. Had excellent restaurant, great view of the ground (it’s now the Legends Room), pokies, good bar, comfy seats. It couldn’t make it. Mt Gravatt (a local footy club) had a massive sporting complex and in the end, had to sell it because it was losing money. People came on game day and pretty much that was it.

As has been pointed out numerous times already most SANFL clubs don’t have this bar facility open all the time even if they do have something at their ground. Most would have a bar/pokies/bistro elsewhere where it is better patronised by the general public.
Sturt has Barzaar on Unley Rd for this very reason and they can use it for game day functions while mid week its used by the public.

And even that’s not a recipe for success. Brisbane Lions Social Club at the Gabba was brilliant. Had excellent restaurant, great view of the ground (it’s now the Legends Room), pokies, good bar, comfy seats. It couldn’t make it. Mt Gravatt (a local footy club) had a massive sporting complex and in the end, had to sell it because it was losing money. People came on game day and pretty much that was it.

Exactly.

Did the Eagles include a full time licenced premises in their new facilty?
Are the Dockers?
Are the Hawks?
Do Richmond have a pub at Punt Road?

AFL clubs aren't in the business of clubrooms.

That is excruciating. Can someone who watched please summarise.

The bit that concerned me was “no permanent license facility” so does that rule out licensed club rooms?

And how anyone can put their hand up to be on a council, what a load of wank

Wouldn’t that be like Port’s game day bar. They had to reapply every year. It’s ok for them as it wasn’t their facility, vastly different for us though if the business model includes a permanent bar/restaurant.

Didn't Collingwood sell a pub they owned because it was not profitable recently as well?

I would think you can get away with licensing only on game day, therefore not permanent.

That would still be a permanent license, just limited to specific days of the year. What they’re requiring is constant reapplication for a license. Whether that’s year by year or event by event, I’m not sure.

Pretty sure most sporting clubs, RSL's, etc run on a limited liquor licence (different category to pubs). Can't remember the name for it, but it means they don't need security guards and are fairly restricted as far as opening hours and serving areas go.

You can also get temporary ones for special occasions (ie open training on the week of the GF).

Was there anything mentioned regarding pokies?

Actually, it’s almost certainly going to require a special license for each proposed event. So I expect the application would be put in as soon as the fixture is known and then further licenses applied for as finals matches become known. Assuming they’re going to bother with a shed concept anyway. Certainly rules out an ongoing licensed bar/restaurant facility though.

Who is she? (Who opposes the move)?

OMG i bet it's Anne Moran

The five draft guiding principals that Crows must adhere to develop a detailed proposal to proceed to the next step in the process are: community engagement, community benefit, parkland setting, economic outcomes and the value proposition and include the non negotiables
  1. No permanent licensed facility in the parklands
  2. No increased footprint beyond the size what is currently there
  3. No significant change to public access to facilities already there
  4. Current tenants and users need to be included in the process

That's four

Back