Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I can't see why they would move the Aftermatch from the Magarey Room to the new facility. Why would you bother.

I am sure the players really want to be carted down the road just to.do their little presentation and why would you walk down there for such a thing. Or want the club to go to the expense of transport from AO to North Adelaide......"did I hear you say Monorail"

Any players that are heading back to the club are doing so as part of recovery due to a knock or injury maintainence.

I reckon the capacity to have away game events could be good. But we can already do this now if we really wanted to.

This is why I never cared where the Facilty was located. It will have no bearing whatsoever on us supporters match day experience.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
A more accurate rule of thumb is that if Rob Simms and Anne Moran are in favour of your development, it's either horrendous or an appalling waste of resources.
Remember when Adelaide Oval was being redeveloped they wanted them to move a huge pile of dirt offsite because one resident thought it was an eyesore while they were out walking their dogs?

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
So how does every other sporting club in the world manage? Even your suburban clubs open
In SA unless they have Pokies they struggle to exist, And most have shut down. Or run on temp licence with limit open hours like the RSL.
There no way the Crows will want a licenced venue at there training ground as it would be a money pit base on current economics not viable,
Attach a swimming centre open to the public with most of the users under age and a licenced venue become even further away from there planning.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Our ace is that we know the council doesn't want to keep haemorrhaging money with the existing set-up.

We shouldn't feel we need to bend over too far (or at all) from exactly what we are after.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Do the Eagles' or Dockers' new training facilities have licensed premises? I don't think its necessary.

All we need is a city base and HQ where we can go for meetings or to watch training now and then and maybe watch away games with a temporary licence.

If we did get a stake in the Caledonian that would do just as well for the latter or some pre-game drinks before heading down to the oval

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's four
Would be better formatted as:
The five draft guiding principals that Crows must adhere to develop a detailed proposal to proceed to the next step in the process are:
  1. community engagement
  2. community benefit
  3. parkland setting
  4. economic outcomes
  5. the value proposition
The non negotiables (for the proposal) are:
  1. No permanent licensed facility in the parklands
  2. No increased footprint beyond the size what is currently there
  3. No significant change to public access to facilities already there
  4. Current tenants and users need to be included in the process

Pretty sure most sporting clubs, RSL's, etc run on a limited liquor licence (different category to pubs). Can't remember the name for it, but it means they don't need security guards and are fairly restricted as far as opening hours and serving areas go.

You can also get temporary ones for special occasions (ie open training on the week of the GF).

Was there anything mentioned regarding pokies?
No.

Big Gazoongas

Cancelled
May 18, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Those who opposed: Anne Moran, Phillip Martin, Rob Simms.

You would literally bet all your assets that Anne Moran would oppose any proposal.

The day the Adelaide City Council is dissolved and the government of the day has control within the Adelaide City boundaries the better.

There is a group that serve self interest rather than the interest of the greater community.

Tex Milera

Debutant
Mar 5, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
You would literally bet all your assets that Anne Moran would oppose any proposal.

The day the Adelaide City Council is dissolved and the government of the day has control within the Adelaide City boundaries the better.

There is a group that serve self interest rather than the interest of the greater community.

Anne Moron only lives around the corner from those parklands so yes it is not surprising she has objected to it.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I am listening to the video as I type. Those who are opposed can't even agree on what they disagree upon.

However, it's clear that the opposition to the development all wanted a dumbed down public vote on the question: ‘Should the Crows take over the AC? Yes/No’, whilst providing the voting public absolutely no information on the proposals design, or intended purpose.

If the amendment motion had passed the North Adelaide NIMBY brigade would surely have voted the proposal down before it had even begun, despite the fact that the park lands don't just belong to them, but all South Australians.

As long as the Crows adhere to the proposed guidelines I see no reason why their should/would be any opposition to the development at all.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still crap, club rooms mean you should be able to got lunch/dinner and drinks any time of the week.

Typical bloody Adelaide Council.

I’d tell them to get ******. This is our chance to have a proper club and they are ****ting on it from the start

I reckon the greatest return will be only opening a shed type venue on match days and perhaps a couple of other special events during the year. There's so much competition around that area and existing pubs are struggling enough as it is. I like the idea of purchasing The Caledonian and turn that into our regular pub, but without a second story I can't see how there's enough room for all our office space requirements. But we'd be more likely to buy a pub if our offices were housed across the road. I really think that a large F&B venue in the parklands would be a financial drain on the club.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
No, there’s 5 guiding principles - community engagement, community benefit, parkland setting, economic outcomes and the value proposition; and 4 non negotiables.
Spanish Inquisition-02.jpg

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
... As long as the Crows adhere to the proposed guidelines I see no reason why their should/would be any opposition to the development at all.
Guideline 2 is interesting and could be a key consideration:

2. No increased footprint beyond the size what is currently there

What do they include in "what is currently there"?

Presumably the existing aquatic building & facilities and the carpark would be included but what about the main oval/field in the north-east part of the park? And the oval/field to the south part of the centre?

I would presume it is understood AFC would need to use at least one of those oval/field areas and would likely need to develop the area to some degree.

Will they look at developing a giant building containing both aquatic facilities and AFC office/training facilities?

I wonder if it would be allowable/feasible cost-wise to build an underground carpark under the oval area to be used. This would allow the existing carpark to build office/training facilities for the AFC separate from new aquatic facilities.

Crowbots are dead

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone know if it would also be for training and if so , will there be an oval added? It would be great if we could train on an oval with mcg dimensions

Back