Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

From the muffin thread:

In terms of the oval itself, we propose to have a one large flexible oval than can cater for all ground dimensions.

Interesting to see how that’s going to work. Would rather two ovals like the West Coast model but obviously I’m not privy to the T&C of the arrangement.
7fa9e46fcf74ffca458b0f6c6e8f1c30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

“I promise I shall stand in front of the bulldozers if any come to knock down the Adelaide Aquatic Centre,” she said.
“Remember Tiananmen Square.
Norton also said she was a friend of News Corp founder Rupert Murdoch “and if necessary will ask for his help”.
“Adelaide City Council named the park after me,” she wrote.
Crazy person alert

I think this could be a really good move by the club but I am starting to think it's too hard. I think we should look at doing something else where people will be more accommodating.

This could be a massive benefit for the ACC yet it seems like it could all end up on their terms. Blackfries and others are all trying to get something out of it. I just don't want to end up with something with all these clauses that will get in the way.

I think this could be a really good move by the club but I am starting to think it's too hard. I think we should look at doing something else where people will be more accommodating.

This could be a massive benefit for the ACC yet it seems like it could all end up on their terms. Blackfries and others are all trying to get something out of it. I just don't want to end up with something with all these clauses that will get in the way.

Agree with this if it's as hard as it feels it would be from the outside, if they are confident of getting it through with little compromise then it will be a pretty big benefit for us, the council and the community.

We can't not be able to organise a last-minute training session on our own oval because Blackfriars traditionally have sports day or lacrosse practice or something at the same time.

Agree with this if it's as hard as it feels it would be from the outside, if they are confident of getting it through with little compromise then it will be a pretty big benefit for us, the council and the community.

We can't not be able to organise a last-minute training session on our own oval because Blackfriars traditionally have sports day or lacrosse practice or something at the same time.

Agree it has to be basically unconditional in terms of access. The Council want this to happen so it doesn't have to all be on their terms.

The red tape and political crap we will go through to get this compromised facility would have been avoided if we moved to West Beach and consolidated a facility with the Giants.

But hey people want it in the city on the off chance we may have an aftermatch a few kilometres away from Adelaide Oval......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The red tape and political crap we will go through to get this compromised facility would have been avoided if we moved to West Beach and consolidated a facility with the Giants.

But hey people want it in the city on the off chance we may have an aftermatch a few kilometres away from Adelaide Oval......

Actually no, we wanted clubrooms and ability to watch training in a central location, but hey make up what you want.....

Last edited:

For me, the aftermatch / social facility part is irrelevant. The thing about the propose site, I think, is that it present much more opportunity for leveraging $ and community use etc to make it more financially viable / less costly to set up the facility, than on a "bare" site where we would be responsible for just about everything.

I know nothing about this guy, but he sounds like a decent politician given this statement

"Hyde said it was a “tad hypocritical” to threaten to contact Murdoch “considering he is no longer an Australian citizen, runs a multi-billion for-profit company that cares little for the community broadly, also because his Fox News network’s rabid endorsement of President Trump is in all likelihood causing more damage to the global environment than anything else we will see in our lifetime”.

I know nothing about this guy, but he sounds like a decent politician given this statement

"Hyde said it was a “tad hypocritical” to threaten to contact Murdoch “considering he is no longer an Australian citizen, runs a multi-billion for-profit company that cares little for the community broadly, also because his Fox News network’s rabid endorsement of President Trump is in all likelihood causing more damage to the global environment than anything else we will see in our lifetime”.
Looked him up (Alexander Hyde), former Young Liberals president. Weird.

The naming the park bit is true

But yikes lady, we’ll name a new park after you!

It’s going to fall down soon anyway!
This is how it ends

''The Adelaide Football Club and Olympic Australia are proud to announce the Denise Norton Park for Old Olympians that have faded into Obscurity.''

Actually no, we wanted clubrooms and ability to watch training in a central location, but hey make up what you want.....
Is it really worth the red tape and compromises though?

How many people will go to training? Bear in mind the sessions at AO as well.

Is it really worth the red tape and compromises though?

How many people will go to training? Bear in mind the sessions at AO as well.

The club will work out if it’s worth it but once it’s completed it will be an iconic presence in the city.

I reckon you’d be surprised. Doesn’t mean you have to sit and watch the whole session, but I know if I’m cruising past I would stop and watch some. There will constantly be people around the club instead of some monument where the boys club is too far removed from reality.

For me, the aftermatch / social facility part is irrelevant. The thing about the propose site, I think, is that it present much more opportunity for leveraging $ and community use etc to make it more financially viable / less costly to set up the facility, than on a "bare" site where we would be responsible for just about everything.
Would be interesting to know how much of the existing infrastructure will be used and what additional funding is availiable at the Aquatic centre site vs the West Beach one.

Baseball and Softball are Olympic sports? Could there have been an opportunity to leverage that.

I cant see how the Aquatic centre site is cheaper and will give us a facility as good as the best in the AFL.

That is what we should be aiming for.

Back