Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Was quite humorous really. He’s obviously acutely aware of what he was doing hence the need to mention the pop up beach thing.
He's a very intelligent bloke, sort of flies in the face of "The Crows control the media"

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Typical of a Port nuffie article.

Peter Goers is high on a list of flogs.
Long ago I used to enjoy his Sunday mail rants. Then he started with the Port Power bullshit and I realised he was nothing other than the usual bitter, nasty, loser Port-supporting campaigner. He can GAGF, like all Port supporters.:)

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think there’s a workaround, I don’t know it though.
I just went in through Firefox, searched Peter Goers Sunday mail, and voila!! there it was.

Well, what a bitter, teary Port-supporting campaigner rant.

Hey Peter, I know you're into BF so

Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg Football Club
While we need a new centre - and at first glance this move seems to have all the boxes ticked - I'm not too sure.

We need a place where not only we can train and base the AFL team.
WE need a place where members can congregate after a game - and it's quite a walk from Adelaide Oval to where the proposed new centre will be (at the end of O'Connell St).

We need a place where the girls can train and PLAY. This means a place that has parking - or access to parking. Looking to the future, serious parking. We also need a place accessible to transport, from everywhere. The proposed centre will require a trip into Adelaide then a bus trip up through North Adelaide for most people.

I think we should keep trying for a joint venture at Adelaide Uni sports oval on the other side of KW street. Let Adelaide uni still use it and gift the Amateur league the training facility at West Lakes if we need to bribe them too.

WE need a place where members can congregate after a game

Do we really though? The Magarey Room already handles the hour or so of post game, there's not a need for anything beyond that.

I think we should keep trying for a joint venture at Adelaide Uni sports oval on the other side of KW street. Let Adelaide uni still use it and gift the Amateur league the training facility at West Lakes if we need to bribe them too.

Adelaide Uni alumni are not interested in sharing, and the minute we leave the West Lakes facility it will revert to the real estate development company who owns it, where the majority of it will be demolished for more housing, and part of our move is being funded by the payout we'll be receiving for leaving our contract early so they can do that.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg Football Club
While we need a new centre - and at first glance this move seems to have all the boxes ticked - but after a while I'm not too sure now.
I think that it only tick off a few of the things we need.

We need a place where we can train and base the AFL team, sure but in addition:
  1. We need a place where members can congregate after a game - and it's quite a walk from Adelaide Oval to where the proposed new centre will be (at the end of O'Connell St).
  2. We also need a place where the girls can train and PLAY (this is only going to get bigger), Norwood is not our home (and it's a hot shitbox in summer). This means a place that has parking - or access to parking. Looking to the future, serious parking. We also need a place accessible to transport, from everywhere. The proposed centre will require a trip into Adelaide then a bus trip up through North Adelaide for most people.
  3. However the most important thing is to have a place for the members. Our place. Our home. A place where we can "have a drink/meal down the club". A place where we can congregate to watch away games on a big screen? A place to barbecue before home games at Adelaide Oval?
I think we should keep trying for a joint venture at Adelaide Uni sports oval on the other side of KW street (from Adelaide Oval). Let Adelaide uni still use it and gift the Amateur league the training facility at West Lakes if we need to bribe them too.

Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg Football Club
Do we really though? The Magarey Room already handles the hour or so of post game, there's not a need for anything beyond that.

Adelaide Uni alumni are not interested in sharing, and the minute we leave the West Lakes facility it will revert to the real estate development company who owns it, where the majority of it will be demolished for more housing, and part of our move is being funded by the payout we'll be receiving for leaving our contract early so they can do that.

No one is interested in anything unless it's made worth their while. Can we make it worth their while?

I thought that the oval itself was to always remain - and that the club retains ownership of the training facility building.

Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg Football Club

The Magarey Room is a poor substitute for the "shed".
.....and it's only available directly after a game.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
The Magarey Room is a poor substitute for the "shed".
.....and it's only available directly after a game.
Current environment doe not highlight the need for a large shed type area,
with over 25% people using Public Transport which only has a window of 2hr before and after the game, Outside those hours and you pay and wait, the rest are Parking miles away in four different directions,
And A lot of supporters who stay in Adelaide after the game prefer the Pop-up and laneway bars in Adelaide. Contrary to popular belief the Crows do have younger supporters.
Plus along with the Magary room, but they also have plans to use the tennis courts,
While a few believe we need a club room with a shed type area, we are talking about 1-2% max of the people who attend the game will actually use the venue.
If you were running a club would you put your money into a venue catering for 1-2% or into free merchandise to 100% of the members? or maybe putting your money into making it easier for more than 25% member to use Public transport.

I want world best training ground, I don't care if you cannot buy a beer, I would be happy with BQ area while watching training or a decent Cafe when I visit the place.

I thought that the oval itself was to always remain - and that the club retains ownership of the training facility building.

I don't know whether the oval needs to remain or not, but the club does not own, it rents - when the SANFL sold the land to the developers we retained I believe a 20 year rental contract for a nominal amount. Now that the development of the area has proven to be a big success for them, they want us to leave now rather than at the end of the contract, so they can finish it all in one go.

Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg Football Club
I don't know whether the oval needs to remain or not, but the club does not own, it rents - when the SANFL sold the land to the developers we retained I believe a 20 year rental contract for a nominal amount. Now that the development of the area has proven to be a big success for them, they want us to leave now rather than at the end of the contract, so they can finish it all in one go.
"I'm very sure - the oval itself is to remain an oval as part of the council's demand for "open space". I'm also pretty certain that the clubrooms/training centre are included in this.

Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg Football Club
Current environment doe not highlight the need for a large shed type area,

Current environment does not reflect the existence of a large shed type area.
Current environment does not reflect the potential use of such an area.

If you were running a club would you put your money into a venue catering for 1-2% or into free merchandise to 100% of the members? or maybe putting your money into making it easier for more than 25% member to use Public transport.

I want world best training ground, I don't care if you cannot buy a beer, I would be happy with BQ area while watching training or a decent Cafe when I visit the place.

I would put my money into building the club and into the future of that club - not just into what might be immediate improvements for the admin and training facilities now or tomorrow..
Free merchandise? are you referring to the cheap s**t that breaks/gets thrown out every year?? No - I do not want "free merchandise".

Transport - there is (virtually) no public transport to the proposed new centre. If ever we need it - it will be impossible.
The club also fields (dammed successful) women's team - it needs a home. Why not make it so that home is also the club's base.

It's not a case of if I want a beer (and how are you going to have a BBQ in a space where there is no parking area of any size)?

I want a club.

It's a football club - not a trip to the "theatre".

"I'm very sure - the oval itself is to remain an oval as part of the council's demand for "open space". I'm also pretty certain that the clubrooms/training centre are included in this.

They aren't, and the developers can satisfy council demand for open space without retaining the entire oval in its current configuration - and there's already a fair chunk of what used to be Max Basheer between the houses and the HQ that has been landscaped into an open reserve with a little pond. The reason we're making this move now, rather than in a decade, is because the developers want us out of our contract so that they can finish the job right now while the going is good, and are willing to pay to make it happen.

They may retain the HQ building and rent it out to NextGen gym and a few cafes, but everything else is scheduled for new construction.

Last edited:

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Current environment does not reflect the existence of a large shed type area.
Current environment does not reflect the potential use of such an area.

I would put my money into building the club and into the future of that club - not just into what might be immediate improvements for the admin and training facilities now or tomorrow..
Free merchandise? are you referring to the cheap s**t that breaks/gets thrown out every year?? No - I do not want "free merchandise".

Transport - there is (virtually) no public transport to the proposed new centre. If ever we need it - it will be impossible.
The club also fields (dammed successful) women's team - it needs a home. Why not make it so that home is also the club's base.

It's not a case of if I want a beer.

I want a club.

It's a football club - not a trip to the "theatre".
How many people but more importantly how many members would use it,
And what is more important to Crows Members,
Would you be happy with a money pit, just to feel happy we have clubrooms or be happy with a state of the art training venue allowing the Crow to be competitive on the field and win a few premierships,
We Live in SA, Port have a Club Room and Pub, yet they would be lucky to more than 2% of the there supporters attending,
This is not a build it and they will come exercise,

Back