Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
Blighty mentioned something last night on Sportsday SA and how he had a chat to Steven Marshall about this at a recent party. My walkman ended up switching off for some reason so I missed what he said about the move to the aquatic centre . . Did anyone hear this and what was said ?

Blighty had a chat to the Premier about the Crows about getting a new facility and lamenting not having a facility such as the shed for the supporters anymore and how that really used to engage the club (players & coaches) with the supporter base.

In regards to the proposed Crows North Adelaide aquatic centre move he said “I’ve heard people say that ‘why are we doing this for a footy club and why are we going to take swimming away from there’ and I’ve read that and I’ve listened to it and I think, we’re not trying to take swimming away, we want swimming to be better, you can have an all encompassing sports centre there. C’mon open your eyes!” Fair to say he’s all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sorry to bump the thread with no news, but i was channel surfing and heard the end of Rowie and Bicks talking about the move.

Was there an update or something or just general chat?

must have arrived at about the same time. I rolled in while Bicks was saying if there’s no permanent license then big deal it’s still a good move. SFA said after that and no idea whether he was responding to some news.

Dc9798

Club Legend
Dec 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus FC
Sorry to bump the thread with no news, but i was channel surfing and heard the end of Rowie and Bicks talking about the move.

Was there an update or something or just general chat?

General chat, basically a caller brought up about the parklands preservation association and gave them a whack about their campaign against the move and the way they’re using the elderly lady who the park’s named in honour of in their video campaign against a Crows move to the aquatic centre. Rowey and Bicks both agreed with the caller, Bicks though did bring up about concerns the residents may have about the new facility having a potential liquor license/ late night events.
Anyone against the Crows aquatic centre move IMO is delusional.

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
General chat, basically a caller brought up about the parklands preservation association and gave them a whack about their campaign against the move and the way they’re using the elderly lady who the park’s named in honour of in their video campaign against a Crows move to the aquatic centre. Rowey and Bicks both agreed with the caller, Bicks though did bring up about concerns the residents may have about the new facility having a potential liquor license/ late night events.
Anyone against the Crows aquatic centre move IMO is delusional.

Yeah they said its a win for the community who get a new aquatic centre, a win for the schools who get upgraded ovals, and a win for the council who no longer have to pay $800k pa to maintain the aquatic centre.
Given that we are basically just upgrading the existing facilities and ovals that are already there, I don't really see what objections anyone has, even the APLA?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah they said its a win for the community who get a new aquatic centre, a win for the schools who get upgraded ovals, and a win for the council who no longer have to pay $800k pa to maintain the aquatic centre.
Given that we are basically just upgrading the existing facilities and ovals that are already there, I don't really see what objections anyone has, even the APLA?

assume we get a temp license for a shed type facility for away games, that could put around 300 people on the doorstep of O’Connell St that wouldn’t otherwise be there.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Article on Adelaide Now. State Govt have new draft planning rules which seem to be written to help the Crows
Sounds like everyone is keen to get the current eyesore fixed up at someone elses expense.

From the article

Compare the rules:
Current Adelaide City Council Development Plan
Extensions to or new buildings at the Adelaide Aquatic Centre should be restricted unless they consolidate and replace existing buildings with structures more appropriate to the Parklands environment and with no increase in total floor area. Other than this, no additional buildings should be permitted.

Draft Planning and Design Code
Development at the Adelaide Aquatic Centre site to consolidate and replace existing buildings with recreational sporting clubrooms, facilities and associated administrative functions.
*The code has no definition of recreational sporting clubrooms
[/qoute]

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Sounds like everyone is keen to get the current eyesore fixed up at someone elses expense.

From the article
Which is exactly why we should be there pushing to see if we can get a great outcome for the club.

However, I noted that Bickley has been put on a committee to look at a redeveloped Riverbank multisports proposal. Does this mean they will look at the area next to AO, and revamp the whole tennis/NextGen area? Could that be a better option?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Which is exactly why we should be there pushing to see if we can get a great outcome for the club.

However, I noted that Bickley has been put on a committee to look at a redeveloped Riverbank multisports proposal. Does this mean they will look at the area next to AO, and revamp the whole tennis/NextGen area? Could that be a better option?
Not sure the SMA will allow that.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
SMA shouldn’t get a say in anything but the oval.
Of course they shouldn't.

But they are unlikely to want our club to have a substantial footprint anywhere near the oval, same goes for the other mob too. I mean they didn't even want them to have their drunken village.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Is that even the SMA’s?
They weren’t around then were they?
Surely that’s the opposite to leverage if they were?
I could be wrong, but from memory the 550M was intended to be repaid by the SMA at a commercial return plus upkeep of the stadium.

The government can't afford SMA to fail, so that gives SMA useful leverage when complaining about things.

A bit like China can't afford US to default.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I could be wrong, but from memory the 550M was intended to be repaid by the SMA at a commercial return plus upkeep of the stadium.

The government can't afford SMA to fail, so that gives SMA useful leverage when complaining about things.

That was the 48mill for the hotel,
There was no loan to upgrade the Adliade oval. And the cost of Ovel itself has been repaid sevral times over.
The SMA was establish to run the Adliade oval after approval to upgrade the oval,

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Who does the SANFL answer to?
Can’t they be kicked out?

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Who does the SANFL answer to?
Can’t they be kicked out?

You could, but that would leave the SACA in charge, and we'd end up back in the bad old days when Bradman was screwing over football in SA (which resulted in Football Park being built).

You'd have to kick the SMA out as an entity, not just take the SANFL or SACA out of the SMA. Also, if you remove the SMA, then you'd have to get another organisation in to manage the ground. That could be anyone from AVM (who run the AEC, ACC and Coopers Stadium) through to a multinational (such as AEG Ogden, who run most arenas in the country), or someone like Spotless.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
You could, but that would leave the SACA in charge, and we'd end up back in the bad old days when Bradman was screwing over football in SA (which resulted in Football Park being built).

You'd have to kick the SMA out as an entity, not just take the SANFL or SACA out of the SMA. Also, if you remove the SMA, then you'd have to get another organisation in to manage the ground. That could be anyone from AVM (who run the AEC, ACC and Coopers Stadium) through to a multinational (such as AEG Ogden, who run most arenas in the country), or someone like Spotless.
Sorry I meant SMA not SANFL

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Re the SMA or AOSMA, some intresting material to read, this is a document submitted to the Secretary to the Committee C/- Parliament House Lesie Guy for the Select Committee on the Redevelopment of Adelaide Oval.
It about the first 5 years of the operation. for the

As a side note it is intresting to note this comment on an official document, "SANFL was carrying significant debt levels associated with supporting the Port Adelaide Football Club",

Back