Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely there is more than the one pool. Current aquatic centre has the main pool area and a kids area and leisure pool plus spas and slides. I would expect we would still have all of this.

Surely there is more than the one pool. Current aquatic centre has the main pool area and a kids area and leisure pool plus spas and slides. I would expect we would still have all of this.
Impossible too, plus add what we need and maintain the same footprint.

I can see that pool area being an issue unless we can provide more than just a pool.

I can see that pool area being an issue unless we can provide more than just a pool.
I wonder if they'll want a new diving pool? The old one has been out of action for so long, and the state divers train at Marion now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if they'll want a new diving pool? The old one has been out of action for so long, and the state divers train at Marion now.
I think they use that pool for other stuff as well as diving though (like water polo), so while it might not have to be 10m-platform deep it might still be needed.

I remember the old Le Cornu building, and being told “that’s the largest piece of curved glass in the world”
Add a bit of value?

Sounds like the beginning of the fence
I know someone who worked at Calvary hospital and used to drive through there anyway. Up until came face to face with a bus and had to reverse out sheepishly.

This same person also noted that they got complaints from residents about too many people parking while accessing the hospital and crowding the street with parked cars (during the day!). Note that this was at the oncology wards and the parkers were cancer patients trying to reduce how far they had to walk.

So the ACC hasn't finished its needs analysis for a swim centre, that would need to be incorporated into the Crows plan, but they still pushed the Crows for their plan?
Of course. It's the ACC

I’m a bit hazy on this, but when it was originally constructed wasn’t it hoping for Comm games bid but on completion wasn’t the 3 metre diving platform non compliant because it was to close to the roof or something similar can anyone shed some light
Yes, it was. BUT they built the concrete foundations so that the main pool was 50m long. But then it was tiled, so the whole pool was 49.9m long and no longer FINA compliant. Was deemed too expensive to fix (would've involved re-doing the pool foundations), so there have never been any major competition swims there as a result. Complete stuff up

Was talking to an ACC ratepayer on the weekend who is a friend of mine. They were strongly against the Crows moving in on the basis that all they've heard is that the Crows would be buying parklands and that the public would no longer have access to a pool or the parklands. When I explained what the actual proposal was, they were like 'what's the problem then? Sounds like a great idea!'. From what I understand the Crows haven't been allowed to explain anything by the ACC which has lead to this perception. Not our fault but hopefully we can clear the air now

Was talking to an ACC ratepayer on the weekend who is a friend of mine. They were strongly against the Crows moving in on the basis that all they've heard is that the Crows would be buying parklands and that the public would no longer have access to a pool or the parklands. When I explained what the actual proposal was, they were like 'what's the problem then? Sounds like a great idea!'. From what I understand the Crows haven't been allowed to explain anything by the ACC which has lead to this perception. Not our fault but hopefully we can clear the air now
Sounds like that Parklands Propaganda Society spreading nonsense again.

Yes, it was. BUT they built the concrete foundations so that the main pool was 50m long. But then it was tiled, so the whole pool was 49.9m long and no longer FINA compliant. Was deemed too expensive to fix (would've involved re-doing the pool foundations), so there have never been any major competition swims there as a result. Complete stuff up
Wow

Hadn't heard that

Back