Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is the redevelopment at West Lakes at? I haven't been down that way for a long time.

More or less completed the eastern side up to the bus interchange and AFC HQ, with plans to start turning earth on the western side of the ground in the new year iirc

A pub isn't the same as clubrooms, as anyone who's played footy at a club with a pub as its home will attest

Doesn't seem like clubrooms are achievable though
They're money pits for most clubs, but certainly in Adelaide these days.

It might be the phase after then, but I've definitely seen some preliminary plans where a new section of Marion goes north from where Aldi is, through the Bunnings building.

It may have been the old plans from 2014/15. It was a 300m+ expansion now $200m+. There are definitely no current plans that council or the state has seen going north of ALDI. There is a rumour that Westfield want it long term for a second multi-storey car park though?

My guess is Bunnings Marion will stay for a few more years yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree your not likely to drive to Alberton after the game if you live in Mt. Barker But it’s an easy walk up to the Aquatic Centre for a large number of people. It would be hugely popular.

Do Richmond or Collingwood hold any after match preso’s at Punt Road or the Holden Centre for the fans after a home game given they’re more or less right next to the MCG?

Personally, I wouldn’t bother going back to the aquatic centre after a game, it’s in the opposite direction of public transport and there are closer bars/pubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

More or less completed the eastern side up to the bus interchange and AFC HQ, with plans to start turning earth on the western side of the ground in the new year iirc
I took a drive to West Lakes last week. Since I was born and raised in the western suburbs I like to venture west once a year to see how far the sea level has risen :rolleyes:.

The eastern side of Footy Park is now completed until the Crows exit. They are currently building behind the northern goals, I am not sure but it may be a retail development. The western side has been demolished except for the Checkside Tavern (what a ****hole) and there seems to be preliminary work starting on the southern end of the oval.

I don’t think the construction work is as much a problem as it was when they were demolishing the stands etc. If anyone is super keen you can view most of the oval from the southern carpark of the Checkside Tavern, you just have to stand near the rubbish bins :).

How do you know this to be fact? And if it is, do you have any idea as to the extra value to the developer of getting their hands on the land 25 years earlier?
It could be exponential.
The opportunity cost of waiting 25 years could be massive.

1.9 k to The aquatic centre
5.1 k to Thebby. How’s that better

I'm saying the vast, vast majority will not walk to the aquatic centre pre and/or post game so including facilities for supporters for pre or post match would be a waste of resources.

Build closer to A.O for the pre or post match functions - as this is (likely) not possible, build further away incorporating everything we need.

I agree your not likely to drive to Alberton after the game if you live in Mt. Barker But it’s an easy walk up to the Aquatic Centre for a large number of people. It would be hugely popular.

Disagree, the oldies sure aint walking that far and then walking back to the CBD to catch public transport home.

The younger ones are unlikely to walk 2km past half a dozen pubs that would be buzzing, just to end up at a venue that would be "dead" in comparison.

People might walk up there once to check it out but i have massive doubt it would be hugely popular.

Doesn’t money earned now have more value than money earned in the future?
Most times but we are not only talking about Money, But also Development, If they get the land in 4 year times they can complete their development and walk away banking all the money in 6 years, By waiting 25years, the cost to finish the development will eat into there end profit. assuming they are still around in 25 years.

Disagree, the oldies sure aint walking that far and then walking back to the CBD to catch public transport home.

The younger ones are unlikely to walk 2km past half a dozen pubs that would be buzzing, just to end up at a venue that would be "dead" in comparison.

People might walk up there once to check it out but i have massive doubt it would be hugely popular.

Pretty much. A clubroom would just cost way too much money compared to what it'd be worth to the club.

There is a reason they died out with professional clubs.

As an admin/training centre, it's fantastic.

But it won't ever have "clubrooms". The club will forever use the Magarey Room. There may be a multi-purpose area in the new centre, but that's it.

The Freo FC/Cockburn ARC and pool community facility looks like a massive win for Freo and the community.

I'm not sure if the plans at North Adelaide have indoor courts, I think they would be great for the AFC and the community.
If we could get the ARC to run the pool and courts for community basketball, netball, badminton, futsal, volleyball etc. it would be fantastic for residents of Adelaide and the surrounding suburbs, a huge community win. My kids play team court sports, playing at the Campbelltown ARC is brilliant.

The Freo/Cockburn ARC dont sell alcohol and has a very limited food menu

Live in WA.

This place pumps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A pub isn't the same as clubrooms, as anyone who's played footy at a club with a pub as its home will attest

Doesn't seem like clubrooms are achievable though
It's not a normal football club. None of them are. They are professional sporting corporations built for profit.

Clubrooms are built for community. Clubrooms don't make money.

Especially at the location and scale we are looking at. Big enough to hold the occasional mass gathering but routinely frequented by a fraction of that number.

We just have to accept that the 'club' isn't a club in the real sense, rather in name only.

Why are we apologising for our plans at every step?

we’re doing them a favour by taking it over
Apart from the NIMBYs who are against everything, I fail to see any negatives for anyone in our proposal.
Community gets upgraded swimming and oval facilities still with public access
No additional Parklands taken over / trees likely to be removed
Land is not being sold to the Crows (despite claims to the contrary)
Club gets better training facilities and a place to hold occasional functions close to the city

Apart from the NIMBYs who are against everything, I fail to see any negatives for anyone in our proposal.
Club gets better training facilities and a place to hold occasional functions close to the city
yeah, but don't forget the importance of finding negatives for the sake of negativity. ;)

All comes down to them not wanting a 'corporation' to benefit from the parklands. Even though it has happened multiple times in the past.

As you mentioned there is no additional parkland space being taken up so their argument that they are losing parkland space is false.

Do Richmond or Collingwood hold any after match preso’s at Punt Road or the Holden Centre for the fans after a home game given they’re more or less right next to the MCG?

Personally, I wouldn’t bother going back to the aquatic centre after a game, it’s in the opposite direction of public transport and there are closer bars/pubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Issue for me is them cutting off the footy buses 15 minutes after the final siren. Basically got time to take a post game slash, and run to the stop.

Back