Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Unfortunately becuase all the young people left Adelaide, the ones like me who stayed have had to put up with the continued voting pressure these people have.

As a state, we need them to die off if we are ever a chance of recovering.
It's happening now

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So - what's the downside of people actually developing the parklands and having more people use them?

A belt of green inactivity around the city achieves what, exactly?
Wouldn't be so bad if half of it wasn't actually brown for 6 months of the year

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Again, I don't have a problem with the development and isn't my argument, but a common concern. It's more concern about creep and more requests from private companies to develop the belt.
This green belt is sacrosanct thing is as old fashioned as blood letting and flat earth. Good ideas generally have a used by date eventually.
Considering this redevelopment is going to be no larger in building size and offer the same facilities to the community. It’s essentially no real difference than current situation. A bit more traffic entering the site but it’s pretty busy around there anyway. I doubt it would even be noticed.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is staying where we are not a viable option long term?

Has this potential move been forced on us due to the housing development?

Are we getting $$$ to exit the lease early?
Would think that must be a factor as someone could profit a bit if they had us move out.

Haven't read this thread at all and barely know a thing about our proposal but does the next location look quite small? Something about a shared centre at an aquatic centre? Does this mean we just have a single oval to train on? Would love something like Hawthorn are going for in at least having a couple, one Adelaide oval size and the other MCG size. Think it would make sense as you can have the Woman's program going at the same time if/when it becomes a full time gig.

Perhaps the proposaled solution is quite big, I haven't looked at all but have just seen it mentioned that it's like a shared space?

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
If I'm not mistaken, thats Greg Anderson kicking into the forward line for port?
The timeline doesnt seem correct though as he made it on to the early Crows list.
Looks like a 1971/72 Final

Port played North in both GFs - I thought the jumper number was 29

Maybe Macca19 might have an idea - timeline at 11.50

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
And I 100% agree with you, we need to protect the parklands my issue with this backlash is it appears to be backlash for backlash sake.

It ticks all the boxes, it returns land to parkland, it creates a new community centre and it will enhance the parklands significantly.

I get the AFC is viewed as a corporation, but it's not like they do nothing outside play AFL.

As for Rival bids, well there is crickets for a reason, no one else can provide such an obvious win/win.

Future bids I hear you say, well on merits as this one is.

To tick the box, maybe the council should release an EOI once their needs analysis is worked out and see who else wants to plough $65m into an admin centre, failed aquatic centre business model and oval upgrade for free public use whilst reducing overall development footprint. That’ll take that issue off the table except for the fact the usual idiots will be saying that there would have been plenty of better offers but they all thought it a done deal so just didn’t bother at all.

Looks like a 1971/72 Final

Port played North in both GFs - I thought the jumper number was 29

Maybe Macca19 might have an idea - timeline at 11.50

Looked like Bucky Cunningham to me, though its before my time.

Greg Anderson didnt debut until 1983 and wore 26.

If I'm not mistaken, thats Greg Anderson kicking into the forward line for port?
The timeline doesnt seem correct though as he made it on to the early Crows list.

In 1993, as a 27 year old after 5 years at Essendon. Was first drafted in 1982. SANFL debut in 1983.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Ando was the last expat that we were allowed to pick up. That didnt happen to 1993. This followed Mickan, McGuinnes, Linder and Hughes from the original 1991 list.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hawks have $100 million to do that though and sold off a huge chunk of their pokie machines to pay for it. We don't have any of that and are only getting state/federal money if we redevelop the aquatic centre as part of our new training grounds.
Hawks are self perpetuating now, by getting that awesome deal at Waverly and winning a few premierships, they are now a profit machine and can afford stuff like this. They have been making around $2-3M in profit every year since 2007 (Waverly in 2006).

Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interestingly, (even if not actually true, but sounds good), the city of Adelaide was apparently planned specific with military defensibility in mind. After all it was a military guy that mostly came up with it.

From an artillery officer mate, (Source!! Source!!) substantial motivation behind the layout of Adelaide was a perceived threat from Russian Navy in the early to mid-1800s.

The City mile is located substantially away from the beach, unlike most cities that sprawl out. It was placed just outside Naval gunfire range.

Anzac highway has a characteristic double bend instead of being straight. The bends are about the range of field guns of the day. An invading army would be forced into turning (not ideal when advancing large forces) at positions where defending field guns can land fire from the next corner.

The green belt: Surrounded the city mile with flat open ground - about the width of light guns and rifle fire of the day. This ensured there was clear visibility of an advance, clear fire lanes and no ready cover for an advancing army.

Ipso fatso - if you're for development of the green belt, you are welcoming Russian invasion.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Ipso fatso - if you're for development of the green belt, you are welcoming Russian invasion.

I'll pay that.

I think we really do need that aircraft carrier then.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interestingly, (even if not actually true, but sounds good), the city of Adelaide was apparently planned specific with military defensibility in mind. After all it was a military guy that mostly came up with it.

From an artillery officer mate, (Source!! Source!!) substantial motivation behind the layout of Adelaide was a perceived threat from Russian Navy in the early to mid-1800s.

The City mile is located substantially away from the beach, unlike most cities that sprawl out. It was placed just outside Naval gunfire range.

Anzac highway has a characteristic double bend instead of being straight. The bends are about the range of field guns of the day. An invading army would be forced into turning (not ideal when advancing large forces) at positions where defending field guns can land fire from the next corner.

The green belt: Surrounded the city mile with flat open ground - about the width of light guns and rifle fire of the day. This ensured there was clear visibility of an advance, clear fire lanes and no ready cover for an advancing army.

Wow, I lived in Adelaide for the 30+ years and never knew any of that. What a cool, and slightly crazy part of our city's history!

Thanks for sharing!

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wow, I lived in Adelaide for the 30+ years and never knew any of that. What a cool, and slightly crazy part of our city's history!

Thanks for sharing!
This was discussed elsewhere. There's no source for this, it's an apocryphal story. Nothing in Light's papers supports this (though many were destroyed in a fire).

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
All great in theory but...

For some reason I'm picturing an invading army, the Australians waiting on Barton Terrace to stop them and a whole heap of Denise Nortons chaining themselves to the trees because saving the Park Lands is more important than defending the city.

Probably followed by a community meeting because the local residents thought it was all a bit too loud.

Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
This was discussed elsewhere. There's no source for this, it's an apocryphal story. Nothing in Light's papers supports this (though many were destroyed in a fire).

The defence of the colony was in the minds of Adelaide people from the time of the foundation of the colony and it is thought by military men that Adelaide was given parks by Colonel William Light as a defence precaution, the idea being that the colonials living around Adelaide would flee into the city which would be protected by trenches commanding an interrupted view of the parks over which the enemy would have to advance before taking the town.

100 years after the fact, but the green belt thing seems to be a thing.

Last edited:
Back