Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So what is this arena for? I haven't been following.

It's a replacement for the Entertainment Centre (with a bigger capacity to attract more concerts).

It will also be connected to the Convention Centre so it can be adapted into another convention hall as well.

Some people think it'll be a replacement for Coopers Stadium too, but that won't be the case.

It's hilarious that the Adelaide City Council backflip to allow a massive development on the prime real estate on the riverbank but wouldn't allow an oval on a dusty paddock in North Adelaide
Backroom Political Pressure

What's with the Port development at Alberton Oval?
Was the design for this another competition for primary school children?
I know they're a bit short of cash but you should always use an architect.
It has a striking resemblance to the old factory buildings on the eastern side of Richmond Oval.

What's with the Port development at Alberton Oval?
Was the design for this another competition for primary school children?
I know they're a bit short of cash but you should always use an architect.
It has a striking resemblance to the old factory buildings on the eastern side of Richmond Oval.
They were trying to be true to the industrial history of the Port Adelaide area forgetting that the suburb of Alberton was specifically designed to be a reprieve from the industrial bleakness.

They were trying to be true to the industrial history of the Port Adelaide area forgetting that the suburb of Alberton was specifically designed to be a reprieve from the industrial bleakness.
I'm not sure why they needed 3 implement sheds, surely the council only has one tractor onsite to mow the oval!

Backroom Political Pressure

Team Adelaide makes the decisions for the ACC, and they're all SA Liberals looking for preselection at future state elections - which was what they got out of Marshall and the sate party to make the backflip.

I'd happily spend some money on a ****ing Soccer stadium in the 25-30k range.
But that $700M on a 10-15k basketball arena?

No, just no.

Then we could have all crowd ranges covered across ao/soccer/entertainment center for concerts.

ps. I dont care much for either sport, I just feel a soccer stadium would contribute more to the state.

No, just no.

Then we could have all crowd ranges covered across ao/soccer/entertainment center for concerts.

ps. I dont care much for either sport, I just feel a soccer stadium would contribute more to the state.
I'm not in favour of either, but my question is - why do you think soccer offers more?

A 25-30k soccer stadium so that Adelaide United can have 8000 people at each game? The faint hope we will host Australian games (no chance)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, just no.

It’s going to be an entertainment centre and attract artists that bypass Adelaide

I'm not in favour of either, but my question is - why do you think soccer offers more?

A 25-30k soccer stadium so that Adelaide United can have 8000 people at each game? The faint hope we will host Australian games (no chance)?
United would attract 20K almost every week with a city stadium with good facilities IMO, and that size ground would most certainly attract Socceroos games.

That could be because the entertainment centre sucks
It could be, and I agree it sucks but I think it stems from the theory that we are a small city and there will always be tickets left.

United would attract 20K almost every week with a city stadium with good facilities IMO, and that size ground would most certainly attract Socceroos games.
I don't think so. Could be wrong, but 20,000 is a big jump.
As for Australian games, if we are playing Gibraltar sure, outside of that the games will be in Sydney, or Melbourne, or Brisbane or Perth before Adelaide even gets considered.

I don't think so. Could be wrong, but 20,000 is a big jump.
As for Australian games, if we are playing Gibraltar sure, outside of that the games will be in Sydney, or Melbourne, or Brisbane or Perth before Adelaide even gets considered.
The place was regularly getting 12K to games before the backside started falling out of the league. Hindmarsh is a great stadium atmosphere wise, but the lack of protection from the elements, and terrible amenities is a bigger downer for crowds.

Getting a much needed upgrade soon mind you, but with lack of space means capacity won't increase.

It's a big issue when trying to secure Socceroos games or even Matilda's games.

No, just no.

It's just another convention centre

The whole Basketball court thing is an after thought and Labor fluff

It’s going to be an entertainment centre and attract artists that bypass Adelaide
That's why we need a mid-sized venue

60k for Adelaide Oval might be too big for many
whereas 10k for Entertainment Centre might be too small
Adding 5k seats isn't going to do much
But providing an alternative 25k seat venue could do a whole lot more

You have Adelaide oval for your big tours
You'd have a new soccer stadium for your medium sized needs
And you'd still have the AEC for your smaller ones.

$700M for 15k seats 14 Basketball games, 7 Netball games
vs
$700M for 25k seats for 13 soccer games
(Similar cost as the arena needs a roof, a soccer stadium does not)
If all clubs draw a similar % of seat sales, you'd get slightly more ROI for a soccer stadium.
While filling that mid-range market a lot easier and actually drawing in artists that would bypass Adelaide.

And if being indoors matters, and they need a ****ing roof. Would 5,000 seats really make a massive difference?

Plus, I look at $700M as a tad high.
When you look at the cost of NBA arenas, take inflation into account, then convert them all to AUD prices. The average NBA Arena is a tad above $650M AUD and that's for just shy of 19k seats, rather than the 15k seats of this proposal.
The cost for an NBA arena is $34,729AUD per seat. Then take into account 11 of these 29 arenas are used for NHL as well. Yeah, they have ~80 gaurunteed events for that cost. How the hell can we justify that spend?

Seriously. $700M for a low capacity arena (+ a few concerts) is such a waste. Perth was ropable when their arena blewout in costs up to $550M ($630M today) and we want to spend 10% than that for the same bloody thing!?!??!!?

If we were looking at $500M for a 15k arena, I might start to listen. But $700M is sheer stupidity, and I would only contemplate that much money if it was for soccer as it can be used to attract those mid ranged concerts, plus bringing back the occasional NRL game to the city, plus maybe a socceroo game here or there (but tbh, what we'd be looking at would be eh opposition and mightn't be worth attending still). Plus, we might actually get some tourist dollars out of it. Would there be better chances of a Melbourne Victory supporter coming over for the game, or a Cairns Taipans supporter?

We'd get soooooooooo much more out of a soccer stadium.
Build the Soccer stadium now at this site.
Then down the track demolish Memorial Park and build your indoor arena there.

Fill the void in the market now which can actually provide a positive boost to the economy and bring in an actual return on investment.
Then down the line, replace the arena.

The place was regularly getting 12K to games before the backside started falling out of the league. Hindmarsh is a great stadium atmosphere wise, but the lack of protection from the elements, and terrible amenities is a bigger downer for crowds.

Getting a much needed upgrade soon mind you, but with lack of space means capacity won't increase.

It's a big issue when trying to secure Socceroos games or even Matilda's games.
I've only attended 2 soccer matches (8,403 vs Newcastle 2011, 5,013 vs Jayapura 2013)
Parking situation is crap. And amenities situation is pathetic.

I find Norwood Oval more convenient for both facets!

Back