Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys are obviously a bit more in the know.

I've also heard that Adelaide peoples acceptance to just fly to Melbourne or Sydney means they can just do an extra gig in those cities and get the same people

Any truth in that rumour?

I have heard the same

I've also heard that Adelaide peoples acceptance to just fly to Melbourne or Sydney means they can just do an extra gig in those cities and get the same people

Yep another issue.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think you’ll find Kristof does not need to use Google in this regard. Has very good knowledge.
That post really didn't read like someone with an intimate knowledge of the Adelaide music scene.

Even pre COVID sell outs in Adelaide were rare.

Post COVID will ge even harder. Which makes a new Ent Centre a white elephant.

A key reason SA people accepted lockdowns easier than most states, was a natural acceptance to stay home.

Tough market to turn a buck in the entertainment industry.

You pick the two biggest global tour promoters, nice Google search.

Small market and slow ticket sales = flyover Adelaide to do a Perth gig.

Unless It is just Eastern Seaboard.

One thing that has been common lately are gigs at wineries. Frontier Touring prefer this model for the SA market because the wineries underwrite ticket sales.

Adelaide Oval/SMA do this too, underwrite ticket sales.

The Killers the latest example to bypass Adelaide and play at a winery in SA (with no Adelaide) as part of their December Australia tour.

Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Perth all standalone metro gigs. SA gig Peter Lehman wines.

Adelaide is synonymous for slow ticket sales in the Entertainment industry. It is well known. Kind of surprised someone who deals with Live Nation and TEG does not know this.

Kristof has previously suggested that he's a CEO but I'm pretty sure that another post suggests that he's also in his mid-20s. I'm not sure that anything that he posts with regards to his credentials can be believed. Not that the highly talented can climb the ladder and be a CEO in their mid-20s, but his belief based personality type suggest that his is highly unlikely.

Would not be touching Thebby with all that’s about to happen going on.
And all you’ve said about West Lakes is spot on, drove past there last week and it’s starting to really take shape with what they’re doing there and will be complete just about by the time we move hopefully to Brompton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Worrying about Thebby because of programmed road works is typical AFC short term thinking. The move from West Lakes is not about the next few years, it's a move that will stand the test of time. Where we find ourselves next will be where we find ourselves in 50 years, long after many of us are still above ground. Unless you're suggesting that whatever upgrade is happening on South Rd Thebarton will end up being further upgraded in the next 50 or so years.

That post really didn't read like someone with an intimate knowledge of the Adelaide music scene.

Even pre COVID sell outs in Adelaide were rare.

Post COVID will ge even harder. Which makes a new Ent Centre a white elephant.

A key reason SA people accepted lockdowns easier than most states, was a natural acceptance to stay home.

Tough market to turn a buck in the entertainment industry.

What’s happened to us? Didn’t we have the biggest turnout the Beatles had ever seen when they came to Adelaide?

Worrying about Thebby because of programmed road works is typical AFC short term thinking. The move from West Lakes is not about the next few years, it's a move that will stand the test of time. Where we find ourselves next will be where we find ourselves in 50 years, long after many of us are still above ground. Unless you're suggesting that whatever upgrade is happening on South Rd Thebarton will end up being further upgraded in the next 50 or so years.

Early days has quite a bit of Kings Reserve being permanently lost to the motorway, enough that an oval realignment is being considered. Thebarton may end up being a much smaller and less capable site than it looks today.

One thing that has been common lately are gigs at wineries. Frontier Touring prefer this model for the SA market because the wineries underwrite ticket sales.

The Killers the latest example to bypass Adelaide and play at a winery in SA (with no Adelaide) as part of their December Australia tour.

Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Perth all standalone metro gigs. SA gig Peter Lehman wines.

Adelaide is synonymous for slow ticket sales in the Entertainment industry. It is well known. Kind of surprised someone who deals with Live Nation and TEG does not know this.

Remove foot from mouth, and try to keep it out

Kristof has previously suggested that he's a CEO but I'm pretty sure that another post suggests that he's also in his mid-20s. I'm not sure that anything that he posts with regards to his credentials can be believed. Not that the highly talented can climb the ladder and be a CEO in their mid-20s, but his belief based personality type suggest that his is highly unlikely.

You are perhaps the worst judge of people ever. I know Kristof. He is not in his 20s. And he is most definitely a CEO. Internationally renowned in fact.

You are perhaps the worst judge of people ever. I know Kristof. He is not in his 20s. And he is most definitely a CEO. Internationally renowned in fact.

his age wasn't a judgement, it was from a post of his. And him being a CEO didn't surprise me, except when the age post came into the equation. There's plenty of NGOs and otherwise funded entities out there with thriving CEOs that would be found out in 5 minutes if in private enterprise.

Oh, yeh, and I pegged you just fine.

It isn't a Google search.

Look, without any particular direct info in the venues you mention, I'd imagine it's a capacity issue that forces them into outdoor venues at wineries, as that's pretty common - but you sound very fixed in your view, so fair enough.

Look, without any particular direct info in the venues you mention, I'd imagine it's a capacity issue that forces them into outdoor venues at wineries, as that's pretty common - but you sound very fixed in your view, so fair enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larger events in Sydney and Melbourne get tourism support to attract intra and interstate visitors, from regional centres and other cities.

So, you're right but it's not just Adelaide that encourages them to do that.

his age wasn't a judgement, it was from a post of his. And him being a CEO didn't surprise me, except when the age post came into the equation. There's plenty of NGOs and otherwise funded entities out there with thriving CEOs that would be found out in 5 minutes if in private enterprise.

I'm 47, fwiw.

I work in the commercial end of the events and entertainment industry, though much of my day-to-day is with government.

Not sure why anyone would have thought I was mid 20s, though that sounds fantastic.

I'm 47, fwiw.

I work in the commercial end of the events and entertainment industry, though much of my day-to-day is with government.

Not sure why anyone would have thought I was mid 20s, though that sounds fantastic.

It was the 2003 join date for mid 20s that did it for me ...

Surely we can get rid of the bloody tennis and Next Gen from Memorial Drive and turn the whole Adelaide Oval No.2 into our home ground. Could even move the scoreboard to a location which doubles as a scoreboard for Adelaide No.2 and keeps those out the back in the members at the Test Match up to date with all the scores.

I do agree it is a small market here.

But compounded by Adelaideans attitude towards going to gigs.

Guns n Roses played AO 2017. The week before the show they sold tickets for $50 to get people in. Still didn't sell out.

One if my mates used to write for Rip it Up, still in the industry here it is always a battle to get mid tier acts here because no guarantee of selling enough tickets to make it work.

This is why I reckon building a new Ent Centre is a waste of money. For a broke State.

i will have to back this up.

through being me, I know who a bunch of people in real life here are

Kristof is for real

example, this is who Geoffa32 is

international diamond thief

Oh no you didn’t. You STILL don’t have a bloody clue.

i will have to back this up.

through being me, I know who a bunch of people in real life here are

Kristof is for real

I'm still wrong most of the time, but I have no excuse to be.

One if my mates used to write for Rip it Up, still in the industry here it is always a battle to get mid tier acts here because no guarantee of selling enough tickets to make it work.

We're probably saying the same thing. The most common thing you hear about Adelaide is the upside you get from the shows that do really well isn't high enough to cover the risk from when shows go terribly, so you're better off not rolling the dice.

I guess this then leads to extra interstate shows to target the genuine fans, or special event type shows or whatever.

I do agree it is a small market here.

But compounded by Adelaideans attitude towards going to gigs.

Guns n Roses played AO 2017. The week before the show they sold tickets for $50 to get people in. Still didn't sell out.

This is why I reckon building a new Ent Centre is a waste of money. For a broke State.

A couple of things, I went to that concert and whilst it was good, they are old and not everyone’s cup of tea.

They are too big for our current entertainment centre though so it’s really only AO which isn’t a great venue to watch a gig anyway.

Maybe a larger entertainment centre would have sold out? Plus our current entertainment centre sucks.

It would also be used for sport and conventions. It’s received endorsements from prominent promoters.

We would be the only mainland state in Australia without such a venue, do we really pull up the shutters or do we try and build our city? The riverbank development is definitely a start.

Broke State? Except for WA, all states are broke, that doesn’t stop the states investing in itself.

Economic benefit from visitors?

Last edited:
A couple of things, I went to that concert and whilst it was good, they are old and not everyone’s cup of tea.

They are too big for our current entertainment centre though so it’s really only AO which isn’t a great venue to watch a gig anyway.

Maybe a larger entertainment centre would have sold out? Plus our current entertainment centre sucks.

It would also be used for sport and conventions. It’s received endorsements from prominent promoters.

We would be the only mainland state in Australia without such a venue, do we really pull up the shutters or do we try and build our city? The riverbank development is definitely a start.

Broke State? Except for WA, all states are broke, that doesn’t stop the states investing in itself.

Economic benefit from visitors?

But but shouldn't we implement austerity and throw all public funds at hospitals??? That's what Facebook boomers say to do.

Back