Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
I've told you a hundred million times not to exaggerate.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Serious Rick vibes reading that..
3a65d0a1579e0b76ec9493528ea1b9e4.jpg

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Are you talking seats on the arena / temporary decking ? .....I'm talking mechanical movement of infrastructure under Marvel, designed not to sit on the surface .....I'm confident that isn't what you're referring too / it's seized up

But I take your point anyway re temporary seating

Yeah the seats in that video are the mechanical ones, moved in on rails. The rails are under the turf. They pull up the necessary patches of turf to expose the rails then slide the seats in. Only the wings and ends move in, leaving the “corners” behind. You need to walk across gangplanks to access the seats from the level one concourse and you can see all the mechanics underneath you.

Trust me, been to many Victory games in that configuration.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Are you aware that Marvel Stadium was originally built as a dual purpose stadium in partnership with the AFL and Soccer

To that end, the stadium was built with mororized retractable seating to suit a Soccer pitch .....and then be retracted for AFL
When Soccer pulled out, the retractable seating has never been used since day 1 .......it's been needed a few times as you've outlined .....but rumour is the mechanics have long since seized up

And post-Olympics, Stadium Australia had retractable seating so the AFL could have a token few games there.

This ended up being very unpopular for both AFL and NRL, and eventually Sydney stopped playing games there because the compromise to accommodate both sports ended up suiting neither sport.

It’s a similar reason multi purpose stadiums for NFL/baseball went out of favour. The compromises made the venues bad for both sports.

Footy looked terrible at Stadium Australia

On the wings there were so many empty seats cut off as it was retracted back, and the permanent seating obstructed the view of the 50m area.
Then if you were in the permanent seats you had to sit up to see the ball when it went near the boundary area.

Terrible as a fan.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
They have to pay to perform and a lot of performers are having difficulty paying
Sorry, not to be weird, but what does that have to do with a magazine? I'm finding it hard to follow.

This, sort of... But it looks cool! ;)

"""
It’s an arsehole! It’s a gigantic steel arsehole. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

That is Mercedes-Benz Stadium, home of the Falcons. Every day, architects went to work, sat down, designed this thing, and thought, “I am not drawing a butthole.” Taxpayers read the news and nodded: “We are not funding a butthole.” Construction workers labored for years, seething through gritted teeth: “We are not building a butthole.”

And then one day, they realized they’d built a butthole.
"""

flashcrow

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#weflyasone
"""
It’s an arsehole! It’s a gigantic steel arsehole. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

That is Mercedes-Benz Stadium, home of the Falcons. Every day, architects went to work, sat down, designed this thing, and thought, “I am not drawing a butthole.” Taxpayers read the news and nodded: “We are not funding a butthole.” Construction workers labored for years, seething through gritted teeth: “We are not building a butthole.”

And then one day, they realized they’d built a butthole.
"""

Interesting, I see it looking like a camera lens. Different strokes for different folks I guess :think: :D

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Does retractable anything work in sport stadiums?
It's interesting ....Marvel stadium is now getting constant criticism for it's lack of atmosphere with the roof closed

Now this is a diametrically opposite view of 5-10 years ago, where the ability to play football in perfect conditions, in a theatre like atmosphere was applauded ......but again it seems that when new and flashier stadiums are built, dissatisfaction with existing stadiums starts to arise

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's interesting ....Marvel stadium is now getting constant criticism for it's lack of atmosphere with the roof closed

Now this is a diametrically opposite view of 5-10 years ago, where the ability to play football in perfect conditions, in a theatre like atmosphere was applauded ......but again it seems that when new and flashier stadiums are built, dissatisfaction with existing stadiums starts to arise
Case in point, the Mercedes Benz stadium above opened in 2017 and replaced the Georgia Dome, that was only built in 1992.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Case in point, the Mercedes Benz stadium above opened in 2017 and replaced the Georgia Dome, that was only built in 1992.
If you have a 20 year repayment period on the stadium cost ....this only gives you a 5 year Golden Goose revenue period .....seems awefully short, unless the stadia management were able to paydown the loan quicker than expected

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the problem with any sort of retractable seating is, while it might work to get some people closer to the field, might work to temporarily turn an oval into a rectangle for a one of event, doing it week in week out is only ever going to lead to a poor experience for the customer, think the complaints about Footy Park and how far back you were from the game because of the way the rows only got slightly higher as you went back, most people like being close to or on top of the game, stacked high and close.

For Australian football with 50,000 - 100,000 crowds, mixed with the size of the ground, the way the ball moves 30-50 metres at a time up and down the ground, we're used to the scale.

Something like soccer or basketball, you want to be close to field/court, so by the time they think about opening stands behing retractable seating with a low elevation it's just not going to compete with the experience you can get at other stadium and I think that was some of the problem with Football Park, as more and more people got to the better stadiums around the country the expectations grew, plus the home experience improved at the same time, more comfort at home, bigger tv screens, high definition etc.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I hear retractable lights are great...
LOL .....now you're not being serious !!! 🤣

Where's my holograms .....surely it's about time at AO .....can you imagine a Roo or Andrew McLeod Hologram hovering over the stadium urging on the team ......great for sponsors advertising too

master-holocrob.gif
tumblr_p5zidieBwX1ruvkfxo5_r1_500.gifv

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you have a 20 year repayment period on the stadium cost ....this only gives you a 5 year Golden Goose revenue period .....seems awefully short, unless the stadia management were able to paydown the loan quicker than expected
The team owners in the USA are billionaires who coerce cities into building them stadia for free or else they will move their teams. $200M of the $1.2B for the new stadium was paid by public funds, all upkeep and capital improvements are funded by the state/city (estimated final cost to taxpayers is $700M+), and the Falcons play no rent or property tax and keep all the profits from the stadium events.

Owners love new stadia because they inevitably sell more luxury seats.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
LOL .....now you're not being serious !!! 🤣

Where's my holograms .....surely it's about time at AO .....can you imagine a Roo or Andrew McLeod Hologram hovering over the stadium urging on the team ......great for sponsors advertising too

master-holocrob.gif
tumblr_p5zidieBwX1ruvkfxo5_r1_500.gifv

If it was a holographic D-Mac then you'd be on to something

Back