Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I got all excited, devastated and then annoyed all in the space of 30seconds. Could’ve at least trolled us with a video not over 6months old.

This video doesn't play, and splitting the club between two locations defeats the purpose of having a HQ and is ultimately a loser, not a winner

Disagree, I don't give a s**t where the beancounter and the rest of the admin crew work from. What I care about is that there's some way if bringing the footy team tote public. Give a * where customer care answers phones from or if I ever see the CEO if I'm watching training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only real option is Brompton. Thebby as good as it could be; will always be a shared space and look like a building site for the next 8+ years anyway; almost what’s about to finish at our current home West Lakes.

whilst unfortunate, the next 8 years shouldn’t factor into the decision. Shared space won’t matter unless we screw up the lease agreement, which I doubt we will. If it’s our $ redeveloping the site, I see us being granted some kind of peppercorn lease over the whole site and simultaneously providing sub leases to other parties.

The only real option is Brompton. Thebby as good as it could be; will always be a shared space and look like a building site for the next 8+ years anyway; almost what’s about to finish at our current home West Lakes.
If it was Thebby, it would be better to stay at West Lakes till the South Road works are completed.

West Lakes will be nice soon. Both will only have one Oval. Kings Oval being used for the project. And we are set up there already.

Logistically would be a bit of a hassle building our new HQ alongside those roadworks.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

whilst unfortunate, the next 8 years shouldn’t factor into the decision. Shared space won’t matter unless we screw up the lease agreement, which I doubt we will. If it’s our $ redeveloping the site, I see us being granted some kind of peppercorn lease over the whole site and simultaneously providing sub leases to other parties.
8 years next to a worksite would not be great for the players. And make it hard to watch training/access for supporters.

Isn't access to supporters a big carrot for moving? Will probably be as restricted as West Lakes now. For another 8 years.

If it was Thebby, it would be better to stay at West Lakes till the South Road works are completed.

West Lakes will be nice soon. Both will only have one Oval. Kings Oval being used for the project. And we are set up there already.

Logistically would be a bit of a hassle building our new HQ alongside those roadworks.

I suspect that the game might have changed in regards to Thebby now that the plans for South Road plan have been finalised.

I’m off topic a little to our current home, was at West Lakes today and noticed that Charles Street (behind the northern end goals) is now open if anyone is keen on watching any training from there and, like Troubridge Drive (behind the southern end goals), there are a few parking spots on the side of the road.
The development there is really starting to take shape and would rather stay at West Lakes than relocate to Thebby if Brompton is ruled out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Disagree, I don't give a sh*t where the beancounter and the rest of the admin crew work from. What I care about is that there's some way if bringing the footy team tote public. Give a fu** where customer care answers phones from or if I ever see the CEO if I'm watching training.

I disagree.

We are a club, I don't think it builds a good inclusive culture if you have people all over the place.

Keep it all in the one location, get better buy in from everyone.

Only thing with staying at West Lakes is can we expand on our current buildings? One of the reasons for the move is the current facility is too small.

Honestly, if Brompton falls through and we can extend our facilities, West Lakes may be ideal.

100%, IMO an expansion west of our current facility is viable looking at the gap between facility and the oval surface.
050e7ac12004486e5a1af78a992deb87.jpg

We do have a lease at West Lakes until 2048 plus maintenance of the oval.

Again, of course, I’d like Brompton to happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back