Opinion New AFC HQ: Send in the Bulldozers! Thebarton is Happening!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to look back at when this started. I guess we can say Justin would be amazed...

w-primogif-com-surprised-gif.1308830

We need to start looking at building new training facilities close to the city
As Football Park's surround have been sold and the stadium's grandstands and seats will be demolished and replaced by homes, I'd be amazed if our training facilities are still at Football Park in 5 to 7 years. We will need to be looking to move closer to the CBD as soon as possible. I think it will either be -

Option 1 - University Oval - 2 minutes walk from Adelaide Oval - only problem is that the idiot's at the Adelaide City Council don't let anyone build anything permanent on their precious parklands. The AFC would make a fortune from any licensed facilities if allowed to build a training venue here.

Option 2 - Thebarton Oval - could build training facilities and a separate licensed facility facing one of the busiest roads in Adelaide - South road. Could make good money here (from meals, sports bar, TAB, & Pokies), and could easily organise shuttle bus service from Adelaide Oval after games.

Option 2 has more chance of happening, as it would take a miracle to be allowed to build permanent facilities on the parklands. Look at what happened when the SA Govt tried to build a permanent grandstand and pit facilities on Victoria Park for the Clipsal 500 ten years ago, the clowns at the ACC said no and now it costs the govt a fortune each year to build and dismantle these facilities.

We could make a fortune from the AFC Hotel facing South road at Thebarton Oval. And its only 5km from Adelaide Oval.

Interesting to look back at when this started. I guess we can say Justin would be amazed...

w-primogif-com-surprised-gif.1308830

We need to start looking at building new training facilities close to the city

WTF? Have you forgotten the far bigger football club (player wise) that historically occupies beautiful University Oval (as well as the Premier League 1st Grade Cricket Club) An unfortunate relegation for the Blacks from Div 1 of the Adelaide Footy League and suddenly the buzzards are circling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a bit of a moot point, as it is already being used for housing developments, but how would you guys have viewed the suitability of the Glenside location on the Cnr of Fullarton and Greenhill Roads? 16.5 hectares was sold for $25.8 million in 2016. I've always thought it would have been a nice spot, just out of reach of the Adelaide Park Lands Authority under the jurisdiction of the Burnside Council.

Glenside Development Site.jpg
Glenside3.jpg
Did a VERY rough shoehorn of a couple Adelaide Ovals and an MCG to show rough ova development potential.
How would players have liked this location, near Norwood and the City, plus roughly 30 minutes to the beach?
Obviously would have cost a fair bit to develop, on top of the cost of the land.
GlensideOvals.jpg
13 minutes drive or 6km to Adelaide Oval.
Ad Oval Distance.jpg

It is a bit of a moot point, as it is already being used for housing developments, but how would you guys have viewed the suitability of the Glenside location on the Cnr of Fullarton and Greenhill Roads? 16.5 hectares was sold for $25.8 million in 2016. I've always thought it would have been a nice spot, just out of reach of the Adelaide Park Lands Authority under the jurisdiction of the Burnside Council.

View attachment 1309401
View attachment 1309402
Did a VERY rough shoehorn of a couple Adelaide Ovals and an MCG to show rough ova development potential.
How would players have liked this location, near Norwood and the City, plus roughly 30 minutes to the beach?
Obviously would have cost a fair bit to develop, on top of the cost of the land.
View attachment 1309403
13 minutes drive or 6km to Adelaide Oval.
View attachment 1309404
Glenside would have been ideal but I think the land was too good from a development point of view.

At Glenside there’s no other development like it and the surrounding suburbs are all tightly held.

What’s in our favour at Bowden is the land is contaminated and there’s lots of other development land around it.

We already did, announced a while back
Different Funding, Both Port and the Crows are getting 15mill in Funding from the Feds, this 1.5mill is state government funding
This was 1.5 mill "To construct unisex change rooms and two new indoor community basketball courts at Alberton Oval "
Its Part of the State Government $20m funding pot will be distributed to local sporting clubs by the state government.

Ever since Calibri became the default font, everyone's been using it and I can't stand it. Times New Roman.
Times New Roman always seems to me like an error, like the font has fallen out.

Back