Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds good in theory but there’s a lot of problems with that thought process

View attachment 1703205
I don’t think this probably qualifies as big enough.
But things such as highways, hospitals etc shouldn’t be able to be held up by individuals.
There’s ridiculous photos of houses where things have had to be built around them.

Have no idea what sort of funding Port got from the AFL, or the state and federal governments. Off of the top of my head I think they were given the same amounts though for their redevelopment from the AFL and the federal.

She seemed to think that if Adelaide were $X, then Port must or would be given the same.

Her argument seemed to be centred around the use of public funding going to what she considers as these large corporate behemoths.

It wasn't an Adelaide vs Port thing per se.

Nothing to do with the question in front of council, she gets to vote at state elections like the rest of us.

“I’m for the development but I understand the nimby protestors ridiculous POV and are trying my best to hide the fact that I’m desperately hoping they prevail”.
There’s one very clear and definite difference between you and me, I know my stance and my opinion in this and you’re just guessing.

Nothing to do with the question in front of council, she gets to vote at state elections like the rest of us.
Yes she does

I'm just having a stab in the dark, her goal appears to be to pressure the state government into minimising funding in the hope it will minimise the footprint of the project, if it actually does go ahead? Or the very least try and push them into being transparent within the budget.

Last edited:

Is anyone able to post the article

Thousands of supporters sign petition in support of new Crows HQ at Thebarton Oval​

A petition backing the Adelaide Crows’ plan to build a new HQ at Thebarton has gathered thousands of signatures saying footy fans are being held hostage by NIMBYs.

Thousands of South Australian football fans have signed a petition showing support for the establishment of a new Crows HQ at Thebarton.

The plans for the new headquarters have previously garnered criticism from locals who said they felt left in the dark and were outraged by plans to use parts of Kings Reserve.

The petition, started on May 30, has been signed 2129 times – nearly reaching its goal of 2500 signatures in just over a week.

Started by Nic Klar, the petition – headlined “We support the Adelaide Crows new HQ at Thebarton. Send in the bulldozers Kouts!” has since gained the support of the Crowject podcast, which has previously advocated for the new site.

“Ten of thousands of football-loving supporters are being held hostage by a small group of local NIMBYs who oppose the new Adelaide Crows HQ development,” he wrote in the petition.

“Not only opposing, but being deliberately disingenuous and spreading misinformation about the proposal.”

The description said the club want to “be an active and positive contributor to the local community”.

“Together with the City of West Torrens and its residents, the club will deliver a sporting and community precinct that provides genuine and long-lasting benefits for everyone,” it said.

“A key feature of the club’s plan is to ensure the community ends up with two new and improved ovals, ultimately more green space.

“The entire precinct will be open to pedestrians and cyclists with visions of people using it as a place to exercise, walk their dog or families knowing it is a place where their children can play and run around.”

The petition goes on to explain that a “small group of locals will never be happy”.

Peter Cirocco, from the Crowject, said the club has been wanting a home base for quite some time and he doesn’t see why Thebarton can’t provide that space.

“It’s an area that’s not used at all,” he said. “It will be a hub for fans to gather at. The club just want to get it done.”

Mr Cirocco said he believed the people opposing the plans wanted to “protect their own interests”.

The podcast host said he believes the establishment of a base at Thebarton would “reinvigorate the local community” as well as the Adelaide Football Club.

You can see the petition here.

Thousands of supporters sign petition in support of new Crows HQ at Thebarton Oval​

A petition backing the Adelaide Crows’ plan to build a new HQ at Thebarton has gathered thousands of signatures saying footy fans are being held hostage by NIMBYs.

Thousands of South Australian football fans have signed a petition showing support for the establishment of a new Crows HQ at Thebarton.

The plans for the new headquarters have previously garnered criticism from locals who said they felt left in the dark and were outraged by plans to use parts of Kings Reserve.

The petition, started on May 30, has been signed 2129 times – nearly reaching its goal of 2500 signatures in just over a week.

Started by Nic Klar, the petition – headlined “We support the Adelaide Crows new HQ at Thebarton. Send in the bulldozers Kouts!” has since gained the support of the Crowject podcast, which has previously advocated for the new site.

“Ten of thousands of football-loving supporters are being held hostage by a small group of local NIMBYs who oppose the new Adelaide Crows HQ development,” he wrote in the petition.

“Not only opposing, but being deliberately disingenuous and spreading misinformation about the proposal.”

The description said the club want to “be an active and positive contributor to the local community”.

“Together with the City of West Torrens and its residents, the club will deliver a sporting and community precinct that provides genuine and long-lasting benefits for everyone,” it said.

“A key feature of the club’s plan is to ensure the community ends up with two new and improved ovals, ultimately more green space.

“The entire precinct will be open to pedestrians and cyclists with visions of people using it as a place to exercise, walk their dog or families knowing it is a place where their children can play and run around.”

The petition goes on to explain that a “small group of locals will never be happy”.

Peter Cirocco, from the Crowject, said the club has been wanting a home base for quite some time and he doesn’t see why Thebarton can’t provide that space.

“It’s an area that’s not used at all,” he said. “It will be a hub for fans to gather at. The club just want to get it done.”

Mr Cirocco said he believed the people opposing the plans wanted to “protect their own interests”.

The podcast host said he believes the establishment of a base at Thebarton would “reinvigorate the local community” as well as the Adelaide Football Club.

You can see the petition here.
Excellent
Thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows usually train during business hours when kids are at school

Go to Goodwood oval outside of school times and the Goody Saints will be training there 7 days a week for the 1,500 teams they have across all year and grade levels.

The access at the crows will be far greater than your usual suburban community oval

Spot on, most weekends the main oval is used from 10am onwards. Sundays it juniors and womens games.

Can also confirm when the oval is free there is no crush on the 50m lines, all the kids want to be around the goals kicking the footy.

Must be a weird bunch down Thebby way.

The NIMBY’s that have commented on the Facebook post are hilarious.

The NIMBY’s that have commented on the Facebook post are hilarious.

Speaking of Nimbys

Kids pay the price for the selfishness of middle-class NIMBYs | David Penberthy​

Adelaide’s NIMBY brigade comes in multiple forms, but its victims are often the same, writes David Penberthy.

The NIMBY brigade come in multiple forms but a common thread has emerged in terms of their combined impact on the broader community in South Australia.

The victims of their self-interest are often kids. Kids who are trying to do the very thing we all agree kids should be doing more of – riding their bikes, playing sport, getting away from technology and being active and taking risks.

In the past few years we have seen community football clubs hounded for daring to install lights or expand facilities to cater for the surge in demand from girls wanting to play our national game.

Back