New Assistant Coaches for 2023+

Remove this Banner Ad

Leon Cameron with an article about the dogs, looks like he might still have some vested interest in the old club! Reckon he'd be worth a shot.
This is such a no-brainer, he didn’t have the ultimate success as a coach but this guy knows successful environments. He’s worked under Rocket, Clarko and Sheedy, he’s played and coached in 9 prelims.

We know first hand he used to be a calming/firm voice even with Rocket losing his s**t. He’s old enough, experienced enough and strong willed enough to stand up to Bevo.

Honestly my first choice is Bevo to go but that’s not going to happen, but we need to clean house. So Cameron can come be senior assistant.

Bubbas time is up as a line coach, IMO he’s always been more suited to player development - a lot of our defenders (mostly small tbf) have credited their development to him. I’d prefer him full time in this role, head of player development etc

Webb gets another go, our midfield is the only line still performing - even if there is issues there. Needs work but he can stay for now.

Spangher goes, there may be a role opening up in the WO cafe purchasing team which is more in line with his commercial experience.

This is such a no-brainer, he didn’t have the ultimate success as a coach but this guy knows successful environments. He’s worked under Rocket, Clarko and Sheedy, he’s played and coached in 9 prelims.

We know first hand he used to be a calming/firm voice even with Rocket losing his s**t. He’s old enough, experienced enough and strong willed enough to stand up to Bevo.

Honestly my first choice is Bevo to go but that’s not going to happen, but we need to clean house. So Cameron can come be senior assistant.

Bubbas time is up as a line coach, IMO he’s always been more suited to player development - a lot of our defenders (mostly small tbf) have credited their development to him. I’d prefer him full time in this role, head of player development etc

Webb gets another go, our midfield is the only line still performing - even if there is issues there. Needs work but he can stay for now.

Spangher goes, there may be a role opening up in the WO cafe purchasing team which is more in line with his commercial experience.

I would consider Bev staying on provided he gets some astute football minds around him, football people that are prepared to come in with ideas and Bev is prepared to consider them, football people that will be prepared to have robust discussion and ask that some things are delegated to them and it is their domain and we get a strong football manager (replace Chris Grant) and hopefully we will have a better, more focused and a happier coach.

Last edited:

M Boyd and Corey are the ones for me. Move Webb to the forwards he has experience. Get Boyd the promise of next man up or bring Gia back from the Dons

How do some clubs have an abundance of Corey types as assistants or in some other capacity in their football program and remain under the soft cap and we are paying our assistants peanuts and getting that in return and don't seem to have anyone decent in our football department?

Freo have J.Graham (whom I have heard is very astute), Corey, Boyd, Bob Murphy and Carr (these are the ones i know of)

Melbourne have Williams and Richardson etc

something is wrong here.

How do some clubs have an abundance of Corey types as assistants or in some other capacity in their football program and remain under the soft cap and we are paying our assistants peanuts and getting that in return and don't seem to have anyone decent in our football department?

Freo have J.Graham (whom I have heard is very astute), Corey, Boyd, Bob Murphy and Carr (these are the ones i know of)

something is wrong here.
Bont credits Corey with his early development as a mid. So many Dogs players have spoken glowingly of Corey over the years. Yet he and Morris were the first ditched due to pandemic cost cutting.

Bont credits Corey with his early development as a mid. So many Dogs players have spoken glowingly of Corey over the years. Yet he and Morris were the first ditched due to pandemic cost cutting.

It seems to me as this is a real mess! what a shambles

We have lost Corey, Morris, Gia, Hansen and King and we still cannot afford to pay enough to attract decent football astute people

What is Bains doing?

surely the board is all over this

We have lost Corey, Morris, Gia, Hansen and King and we still cannot afford to pay enough to attract decent football astute people

What is Bains doing?

I write again.
Waiting for a club response
Regards
Stephen

something is wrong here.
Wasn't there an article when the cuts first happened that we chose to keep support staff like myotherapists rather than coaching staff?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Bains doing?

Which is probably why there's talk of a coaching overhaul coming. Bains probably recognized this and is making steps to rectify the situation at the end of the year.

The problem is that Bevo has just been at the club for too long.
I am not sure of how we can work around the soft cap, Bevo if he had any integrity would step down. The problem with long-term contracts is laid bare in our situation.
In a perfect world we get Clarko, however I wouldn't be against a defensive coach such as Lyon or possibly Buckley.
Our defensive system is completely broken, in fact to call it a defensive system is actually unfair on bad defensive systems. The sh1tshow we have is just that. A sh1tshow.
I am not sure who is responsible for it. But personally I am blaming List management and the Head Coach. The line coaches are managed by Bevo so the buck stops with him.
I would clear out ALL coaches.
Power to stay, but instead of trying to win trade week, trade for players or types we actually need. Then at the draft get the players we need.

I hear David Noble is now free..
Was looking at Noble's past career. He went from assistant to list manager and head of football at crows then in 2016 to 2021 he was general manger of football at lions. I think to go back to assistant is probably beneath him however if he wants to take over Grant's role as he seems pretty astute in getting things organized in the football department. Lions has 1 of the best run football operations in the comp. His move to head coach was a odd choice for Norf and himself.

The problem is that Bevo has just been at the club for too long.
I am not sure of how we can work around the soft cap, Bevo if he had any integrity would step down. The problem with long-term contracts is laid bare in our situation.
In a perfect world we get Clarko, however I wouldn't be against a defensive coach such as Lyon or possibly Buckley.
Our defensive system is completely broken, in fact to call it a defensive system is actually unfair on bad defensive systems. The sh1tshow we have is just that. A sh1tshow.
I am not sure who is responsible for it. But personally I am blaming List management and the Head Coach. The line coaches are managed by Bevo so the buck stops with him.
I would clear out ALL coaches.
Power to stay, but instead of trying to win trade week, trade for players or types we actually need. Then at the draft get the players we need.
Sadly when it comes to list management Bevo has a pretty decent say on who we take and who we don't, so I don't fully blame our list management team for the position we're in list wise.

Was looking at Noble's past career. He went from assistant to list manager and head of football at crows then in 2016 to 2021 he was general manger of football at lions. I think to go back to assistant is probably beneath him however if he wants to take over Grant's role as he seems pretty astute in getting things organized in the football department. Lions has 1 of the best run football operations in the comp. His move to head coach was a odd choice for Norf and himself.
Wasn’t he our VFL coach before all that? I know he spent a few years with us and had at least a couple of roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back