New Aussie Skipper

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure Bailey would take to the idea either (remember his speech at the AB medal on prioritising his young family).

He's too old for this s**t in more ways than ability.

Playing Test Cricket and County Cricket is a bit different though. I'm sure he'd take the gig if offered.

Neither Bailey or White were anywhere near the test team before the series and shouldn't be after it.

The captain really should be the next in line in the side. If Smith was injured it would be Warner. If Warner was injured then it would be one of the other 9 players in the team. Bringing in a dedicated captain who isn't a test standard player is basically saying that none of your players have any leadership qualities whatsoever. If Faf du Plessis goes out the Saffers aren't going to bring in some guy from grade cricket to lead the team, they'll just get ABdV or Amla or De Kock whoever to step up.

There are guys putting their hands up for test selection in the Shield. Renshaw, Burns, Ferguson, Head etc. When there are spots available then these guys should get a look in. Assuming the XI for the 4th test is as per the third minus Smith/Warner/Bancroft then you have 8 candidates to pick from. Shaun Marsh is 34 and has played 30 tests and 140 FC games. Tim Paine is 33 and has played 12 and 100. Mitch Marsh is only 26 but has played 27 and 83 and has been captaining WA. Nathan Lyon has played 77 tests and taken 300 wickets. These guys aren't Jack Trengove and Jack Grimes. They are in their mid to late 20s and 30s and have played plenty of cricket.

Bailey has been pretty solid the past two seasons, averaging about 40. Not advocating for it, but he's not a walking bunny. The problem is, none of the team or those just outside warrant it.

Paine looks like being lady man standing with Mitch his deputy in training.

This would be the hardest captaincy reign of any Aussie captain since WSC.

Mitch Marsh might be ready for it but I reckon they will try and protect him from the responsibility. He has got to concentrate on his game first and keep getting better.

It is the right time to have a captain for a year and a half.

So how many of the players from the last test do we think were aware of the attempted ball tampering? Surely most of the bowlers... are you comfortable suggesting that any of these players should be leading the team? If you knew what was going on and felt it was wrong but didn’t speak up about it, is that captain material?

With Warner and Smith gone (and assuming they usher Bancroft out as well) what would (should) our test side for the summer resemble.

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Marsh
Handscomb
Maxwell
Paine (C )(+)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Hardly inspires heaps of confidence but not much we can do.

With Warner and Smith gone (and assuming they usher Bancroft out as well) what would (should) our test side for the summer resemble.

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Marsh
Handscomb
Maxwell
Paine (C )(+)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Which Marsh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Renshaw
Burns
Khawaja
Marsh
Handscomb
Maxwell
Paine (C )(+)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Guess we need Khawaja there on our home wickets. Also surely Handscomb bats ahead of Mitch Marsh?

Edit: Saw it was Shaun

Nothing, Gero's just annoyed at Kram again.
No I'm not. 1 fifty from 6 SA innings averaging less than 29. He's not up to it when the ball moves.
We play in England next winter. He needs to be out of the side by then or 6 is a walking wicket.

So many have been sucked in by his ton on the WACA road.
England 2015 where it swung. Averaged 12.
NZ where it swung. Averaged 9
SA in Australia where they swung it. Averaged 13 (and dropped)
SA away where it has swung and seamed. Averaging 28.

Similar has applied to Warner, and I've been critical of him for quite a while for it. Khawaja is similar and I've been critical of it.
Marsh simply is not up to the rigours of test cricket anywhere other than our flat tracks. He's not the first and won't be the last.

If the next fixtures are ODIs, I expect fatty Finch to walk back into the role as kind of a settler, then beyond that will wait and see. As others said, we have to wait for the investigation to see the depth of involvement here and whether the next leader can even come from this group. Given the peculiar, farcical circumstances, I would like to see protocol lifted for once and players to actually come forward. There's so much "he said, they said" and "he hates him, he hates them" and "but I'm not the leadership group!" going on, it's time for confirmation and clarity before the next Test. I don't want to see any BS Cricket Australia spin about 'significant persons' or 'interested parties' or 'reluctant decisions', I want the players to do the talking since they organised this behind their doors. If the so-called leadership group are angry, let them speak. The time for whatever brocode or mate's honour nonsense should end with that embarrassing hide-it-down-your-jocks schoolboy act that's going to dog Cameron for the rest of his career. If they need to name names to clear their involvement, do it. If they need to say that there was a negative culture that made it hard to back away, say it. Their success is driven by endorsements, sponsorship and public following that far supersedes the private workings of their little group. The best way for them to start repairing their image is to show the public that there is still some fragment of leadership in that team and the only way to do that is for the players, not the bureaucrats, to be honest. Other than that, pretty interesting series so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back