New Australian coach Justin Langer

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless of who said what, he does raise some true points in the article. It is good the sharks are circling and the media is in on it because it will start to make CA scared about loss of revenue and that is the only way to start making them accountable, this IS the key needed point.

Overrated but not more than Maxwell.

I had to mute Shane Warne yesterday when he was fapping over Lynn and Short talking about them not being in the ODI squad.
Not true. To this current selection panel he's definitely underrated.

Should be in the side.
End of.

^^This. Langer's entire coaching reputation was built on success in a deliberately equalised competition (which he pretty much circumvented anyway), which should have had no bearing on his potential ability to develop a competitive test side, especially when his Shield record has been unimpressive.

That said, there's 2 other selectors there capable of overruling him, so there's someone else dropping the ball too. :thumbsdown:

If someone was pushing for McDonald to have Langer's job then you might have a point, otherwise you're just deflecting.
The entire selection panel has dropped the ball because they’ve stuck with 2x Marsh and decided to pick Finch (and open him) and also Head...

Well you’re first comment is fair but your second one re being meritous isn’t. They don’t merit national selection. So simple it’s not even a debate.

Did you fail comprehension at school? The conversation was never about the merits of their selection. Not that hard is it?

The biggest thing in Langer's favour was that he'd turned around the culture in Western Australia from the Pommersbach era.

They became very a disciplined and hard working unit under him.

After South Africa I'm sure CA felt that this was our most pressing concern.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Scorchers are only good on paper now that people recognise that guys like Tye, Turner etc. are good players.

Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Yasir Arafat, Alfonso Thomas, David Willey, Tim Bresnan, Michael Carberry... hardly a list of high priced T20 superstars. Hogg in his 40s out of retirement, Johnson at 36/37, Klinger after being discarded by Vic and SA.

Scorchers being good on paper now is a myth. Batting lineup is absolutely shocking.

All those overseas signings had big reputations in England either from Twenty20 comps or the English National team. No one could pick Hogg when he was playing for the Scorchers and Johnson was always going to be useful. Klinger wasn’t dumped by South Australia - he took a contract for more money and more years.

Before the Scorchers decided to go without an overseas batsman they had a good squad. That was when S.Marsh and Voges were available a lot of the comp, we also had Klinger and we had NCN, Behrendorff and an overseas signing as quicks. Hogg wasn’t picked by anyone in the comp. It was a bloody good squad - no two ways about it.

I don’t necessarily think Langer needs replacing, but something has to shift at selection level. Langer needs to be able to tell the selectors with what he wants but their really only needs to be one head selector with an assistant (similar to England). You can have a sub representative from each state reporting on state team performance.

The reality is we're picking iffy FC batsmen whether they are 21 or 35. We're giving youngish guys like Harris and Bancroft a go based on ordinary records but one or two good seasons, and the guys with good records average in the low 40s at best.

Michael Klinger for example (now retired from FC cricket) has 11,000 runs @ 39. A good record but no better than plenty of former players. In his prime he had a couple of 1,000 run Shield seasons but never got a chance at higher honours. If he was 28 and scoring 1,000 runs @ 70 now rather than 10 years ago he'd be the first picked.

We don't have guys like Rogers, Love, Cox, Hussey, SIddons, Hodge etc. plundering runs year after year waiting for a call up. The top 3 career run scorers in the Shield right now are George Bailey, Callum Ferguson and Cameron White - none of whom average 40 after a decade in the caper.

Because it is.
T20 titles are largely irrelevant.

Didn’t win a shield title.
Didn’t produce any quality cricketers to the test side.

Langer coached WA from the end of 2012 until this year.

In that time 27 players have made their test debuts. 7 of those made it to double figures. 5 of the 27 came from WA.

M Marsh 31
Hazlewood 43
Burns 14
Voges 20
Nevill 17
Handsomb 15
Renshaw 11

Which "quality cricketers" have debuted since Langer started coaching WA? I count one genuinely proven player in Hazlewood. But yeah Langer is a dud...

I don’t necessarily think Langer needs replacing, but something has to shift at selection level. Langer needs to be able to tell the selectors with what he wants but their really only needs to be one head selector with an assistant (similar to England). You can have a sub representative from each state reporting on state team performance.
Bolded nails it for me. It's too early to draw a line through Langer, but there is something awfully concerning about our selection and lessons are not being heeded, seemingly. The messages about selections are puzzling and contradictory.

a) Renshaw's treatment in the UAE coming off great form in England was bizarre
b) what do Burns and Maxwell and Wade have to do to get a gig?
c) players being played in odd positions; Finch opening, Lab number 3; really?

I know sometimes, when the chips are down, you just have to adopt a sink or swim approach; Australia kind of had to do that between 1985 and 1988. It didn't pay dividends overnight, but it eventually did. But the moves above seem inexplicable and, as tough a job as Langer has trying to fashion a side with the universal problems afflicting domestic cricket here at the moment, it strikes me that there is a lot of shooting oneself in foot going on too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back