New Australian coach Justin Langer

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Don’t champ me okay.
I didn’t want him from the start. State coach failure. Never won the shield.

Lost at home to India in tests. Likely to surrender the Ashes. Nearly lost to the Windies the other night.

Stuffed the WC squad. Didn’t pick Handscomb. Won’t select Marsh over Stoinis. Won’t drop Warner. Refused to send Maxy up the order last night when it was clearly required.

I don’t trust a man to get us back to the top in tests when he can’t even get WA to the top in the shield.

Jason Gillespie on the other hand. Now there’s a good coach

Listen champ, that's obvious you didn't want him but at least try to be objective.

Now it seems he's the sole selector and also picks the batting line up:D

Warner was too slow last night but let's drop a guy averaging 74.

"Nearly lost to the Windies":D:D:D

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
They did, and yet he’s making poor squad and team selections that’s not maximising the chances of success.

I have no belief in JL as coach.

I'm not sure how many times you need to be told that he ain't the only selector.

He also doesn't pick the batting line up, the captain does FFS.

Listen champ, that's obvious you didn't want him but at least try to be objective.

Now it seems he's the sole selector and also picks the batting line up:D

Warner was too slow last night but let's drop a guy averaging 74.

"Nearly lost to the Windies":D:D:D
What part of that is funny you muppet. We needed a tailender to bail us out.
Agree to differ or drop the personal stuff. You pick.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ponting or Gillespie would be preferable.

What are you basing this on? Even back their playing days it was patently obvious Ponting and Langer are remarkably aligned with their philosophies and leadership approach, something that is reflected in their close friendship.

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
The ODI team has been a mess since the last WC. Some people seem to have forgotten that because of some good recent form but the holes are still there. CA haven't taken one day cricket seriously for a while now in this country and it shows.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
What are you basing this on? Even back their playing days it was patently obvious Ponting and Langer are remarkably aligned with their philosophies and leadership approach, something that is reflected in their close friendship.

I would prefer someone with a more measured personality as head coach. Every second player is 'like his little brother' (Harris, Bancroft, Marsh × 2). He pumps up certain players, and then seems to shun others whilst giving disingenuous praise (Maxwell).

Maybe its just when he's in the media but he seems very outcome based. I rarely hear him talk about the reason something has occurred. Maybe he prefers to keep this behind closed doors though.

Basically I think Ponting and Gillespie are more measured personailities and sharper technically.

His state.

Not at all. Don't really care for state parochialism. I understand its a big thing with a lot of people from WA though.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Or it could be that one is a successful coach.
Yes it's definitely state based when one is from WA, one from Tas and one from SA. Damn that state bias.
Langer has won two ODI tournaments, three T20 tournaments and made two four day finals. He is a successful coach. One of the suggestions was Ponting and he has no real coaching experience. You just have a bee in your bonnet over Langer for some reason.

Langer has won two ODI tournaments, three T20 tournaments and made two four day finals. He is a successful coach. One of the suggestions was Ponting and he has no real coaching experience. You just have a bee in your bonnet over Langer for some reason.
T20 doesn’t mean jack and I’m not saying that cos he’s successful at it, I’m saying cos I’ve belittled that failed format into insignificance for years.

I simply cannot rate a coach with limited to no red ball cricket success. I want us to go back to the top in tests. Not hire a bumbkin and hope for the best. Well he’ll get us nowhere.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
T20 doesn’t mean jack and I’m not saying that cos he’s successful at it, I’m saying cos I’ve belittled that failed format into insignificance for years.

I simply cannot rate a coach with limited to no red ball cricket success. I want us to go back to the top in tests. Not hire a bumbkin and hope for the best. Well he’ll get us nowhere.
Fair enough champ:rolleyes:

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would prefer someone with a more measured personality as head coach. Every second player is 'like his little brother' (Harris, Bancroft, Marsh × 2). He pumps up certain players, and then seems to shun others whilst giving disingenuous praise (Maxwell).

Maybe its just when he's in the media but he seems very outcome based. I rarely hear him talk about the reason something has occurred. Maybe he prefers to keep this behind closed doors though.

Basically I think Ponting and Gillespie are more measured personailities and sharper technically.

Not at all. Don't really care for state parochialism. I understand its a big thing with a lot of people from WA though.

I think his approach to managing Maxwell has been pretty well justified. There's been a significant improvement in Maxwell's effectiveness over the past few months.

Half of bigfooty was whingeing he was biased against Harris after his "mediocre cricketer" comments.

At least from the outside, the group seems to be close knit and playing for each other. On the whole form has been excellent for the past few months. A 36 run loss to probably the best team in it in the group stages is not the time to start spitting the dummy, but can't help but feel that those criticising have been waiting for this moment for the past 10 games.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bit harsh to question him at the moment. The team has performed well in ODI cricket this year all told. I put last night's performance with the bat down to Dave Warner trying to imitate Sunil Gavaskar from the 1975 World Cup. In fact I'm not even convinced he was in the right frame of mind to play.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The ODI team has been a mess since the last WC. Some people seem to have forgotten that because of some good recent form but the holes are still there. CA haven't taken one day cricket seriously for a while now in this country and it shows.

Ultimately we haven’t replaced Clarke, Watson, Haddin and Johnson and Faulkner has turned into a spud.

Bowling options past Starc and Cummins are thin. Both Maxwell and Stoinis are batting higher than what’s ideal. Carey isn’t the worst but Haddin was better. Clarke was just a gun.

We haven’t found a world class limited overs spinner, nor have we got our balance in the middle order quite right. Not sure Faulkner was ever replaced either. His depth bowling went alright in 2015 and we miss that more than his late order slogging.

I’m not Langers biggest fan tbh. As a WA supporter I think he should’ve done better with the squad he had and that’s he’s built his reputation mainly through 20/20. Having said that this squad is rather average outside of its best 5-6 players and Langer has had one year to change that. It’s a better team than he started with imo.

We’ll get thumped in the Ashes but we haven’t been close to winning the Ashes in England for ages. That’s test cricket unfortunately- two reasonably matched sides will look worlds apart due to conditions (like what also happens in Australia when England come).

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ultimately we haven’t replaced Clarke, Watson, Haddin and Johnson and Faulkner has turned into a spud.

Bowling options past Starc and Cummins are thin. Both Maxwell and Stoinis are batting higher than what’s ideal. Carey isn’t the worst but Haddin was better. Clarke was just a gun.

We haven’t found a world class limited overs spinner, nor have we got our balance in the middle order quite right. Not sure Faulkner was ever replaced either. His depth bowling went alright in 2015 and we miss that more than his late order slogging.

I’m not Langers biggest fan tbh. As a WA supporter I think he should’ve done better with the squad he had and that’s he’s built his reputation mainly through 20/20. Having said that this squad is rather average outside of its best 5-6 players and Langer has had one year to change that. It’s a better team than he started with imo.

We’ll get thumped in the Ashes but we haven’t been close to winning the Ashes in England for ages. That’s test cricket unfortunately- two reasonably matched sides will look worlds apart due to conditions (like what also happens in Australia when England come).

Disagree with quite a lot of this.

I don't think we are missing Clarke at all. Shaun Marsh and Khawaja offer that same type of batsman and perform to a level very similar to he.
Watson - yep, he's a gun.
Haddin, disagree with that too. Mediocre keeper and batting didn't exactly play a significant role at all for us towards the end of his ODI career. I'm no huge fan of either Carey or Wade, but both are providing a similar output.
Johnson, well yes.
Faulkner had a special run of form at that cup. Mitch Marsh was a good replacement who was doing well in ODI cricket, but is off the scene of late after a horrible summer. Stoinis had his 'Faulkner 2015 world cup' patented run of form a year too early for the cup.

Bowling options thin? Possibly. But NCN has done the job very well in the past coming into the cup, the injuries to both the good Richardson and Pattinson have hurt. Neither Zampa or Lyon inspire much confidence. But you look at any ODI bwolign lineup, regardless how vaunted - India just gave up 336 against us (and do frequently)! England and Jofra the great hope routnely go for 300+ Rabada, Ngidi, Tahir, Morris looks great on paper, but the reality is they go the distance too. It's just the game of short form cricket these days! Fans still act as though going for 6 or 7 an over is disgraceful these days like we're back in 2000. The reality is it's nigh on impossible to stop guys like Roy, Buttler, Gayle, Dhawan, Rohit, de Kock once they really get going and seeing Russell, Pandya, Plunkett who can stroll out after 48 overs and smoke the first, second and third they face out of the ground... as a bowler you're basically on a hiding to nothing.

I think Langer has performed ok. As you say the team he's developed looks stronger than it did over 12 months ago. And it does genuinely look as though the culture and environment has been significantly improved.

Difficult to argue with your assessment of the Ashes given the pattern of results in international cricket over the past half decade or so. But while England are stronger, they have their flaws too and also subject to wild fluctuations in performance.

Back