New away Guernsey unveiled

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to say I'm not a fan.

The traditional guernsey is being slowly eroded away and evetually even the holdouts such as Collingwood will trend towards more abstract designs. A sign of the times I guess but i do prefer more traditional designs, more in keeping with the history of the game.

I have to say I'm not a fan.

The traditional guernsey is being slowly eroded away and evetually even the holdouts such as Collingwood will trend towards more abstract designs. A sign of the times I guess but i do prefer more traditional designs, more in keeping with the history of the game.

But thats not true though. Half the league uses an inversion of the home jumper as their clash strip. Bris, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Freo, Melbourne, North, Port, WB, Sydney are the clubs that do this. Then you have St Kilda, GWS, who also have classy, simple designs.

The only teams that have "out there" clash strips are Adelaide, West Coast and Hawthorn.

Worst choice of the 3

How do we protest? Can someone start a facebook page?

Don't be pathetic. Just like the logo, "it'll grow on you." At least we won't be wearing it for as far as the eye can see.

That said though, i hated it on paper but in that picture on Sloane dog i actually don't mind it. I still hate the white but it does look better than the swirly raptor.

Don't be pathetic. Just like the logo, "it'll grow on you." At least we won't be wearing it for as far as the eye can see.

That said though, i hated it on paper but in that picture on Sloane dog i actually don't mind it. I still hate the white but it does look better than the swirly raptor.

Same. It seems as if they chose the best lighting and angle for the guernsey. As long as the players did get to choose the guernsey and are happy to play in and for the guernsey that is the main thing. Still preferred one of the Bigfooty designs over this one though.

But thats not true though. Half the league uses an inversion of the home jumper as their clash strip. Bris, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Freo, Melbourne, North, Port, WB, Sydney are the clubs that do this. Then you have St Kilda, GWS, who also have classy, simple designs.

The only teams that have "out there" clash strips are Adelaide, West Coast and Hawthorn.

Sorry but I have to disagree, GWS is hardly traditional and Essendons is truly cringeworthy as have been some of Melbournes. Slowly but surely the traditional guernsey is being eroded. Sydneys is hardly traditional with the opera house overlaying the tradional V. There will be a few holdouts, but the tradional guernsey is slowly on its way out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody shocker. I realise the away guersney is just a money maker, but why can't they just make a guersney they fans will actually like and want to purchase? It should just be a clash guernsey rather than away because that is a shocker.

Sorry but I have to disagree, GWS is hardly traditional and Essendons is truly cringeworthy as have been some of Melbournes. Slowly but surely the traditional guernsey is being eroded. Sydneys is hardly traditional with the opera house overlaying the tradional V. There will be a few holdouts, but the tradional guernsey is slowly on its way out.

Essendon's may be poor, but at least its not cartoonie or wacko like some of the other designs. Its basically a grey version of the home, which is hardly going "against the grain". Sydney's jumper has been the same for 20 years, and its clash is a white version of that jumper. Its simple, retains elements of the V from the SM days, and incorporates the opera house without making it large and obvious.

GWS entire marketing strategy is the G, so placing the G on a white jumper is not "appealing to the younger generation" like Adelaide's is. Its basic and simple. It doesn't have to be "traditional" to be good.

And how can you criticise Melbourne's jumper? Its as basic as it can get. Just cause its been poor in the past, doesn't mean thats the case now.

Melbourne-Clash-2011.gif

Its pretty obvious that Adelaide's is actually in the minority in this situation.

I'm usually an optimist but right now that guernsey looks bad. In fact I could probably draw something better without any arms. My hope now lies with Walker kicking 10 goals wearing that thing..

Lol maybe there was a secret 3rd party deal involved so the worst option was chosen. Would. Not. Be. Surprised.

I reckon the test for any guernsey is this. If we have to wear it in a grand final, and we win the flag, are we comfortable with the immortal shot of us holding the trophy aloft? Or will we look back for generations and say "what were we thinking?". Fashions come and go, but that photo is forever.

This guernsey fails that test, IMO.

It's a disgrace. Surely after the last few months of bullshit this was an opportunity to give the fans something they want (a white/yellow version of the home jumper). Instead, the club just pisses everyone off even more. *clap clap*

I was really against this design when I voted, putting it last (the wide chevrons were first).

But after seeing it as an actual guernsey, on a player, I kind of like it. Yes, I'm sure the lighting has a lot to do with it, but it is so much better than the raptor head.
It's only an away guernsey. The home will never change. And at least it has some semblance of stripes on it.

Also, I'm a huge fan of traditional designs, but looking at that Melbourne away guernsey someone posted, I just though 'how boring.'

Yes, it could be better. But it could also be worse. Imagine if they shaded and didn't use solid colour!
Even though it looks messy, at the same time it looks clean. Almost simple. That's better than the swirls and junk on the last one.

Also, I've always liked the concept of using 'murder of crows' in some way. This may not be the best way to do it, but at least they're thinking.

Would be OK if the red, gold and blue bars were solid, not looking like someone had thrown three tins of paint on a white guernsey - just looks so 1988 somehow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back