New book We Are Essendon details supporters’ suffering

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I honestly thought this was a joke when it came up on bigfooty news.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...g/news-story/ce9cafedf960942375fdf6c08dae415b

ESSENDON supporters suffered mental health issues and relationship breakups as their club struggled through the four-year supplements saga.

a96f0614e6f4262ccad79df6e4cff801

The new book will be available from early next month. Picture: Supplied
In his new book We Are Essendon, author Rick Edwards tells his and others’ stories of despair.

He says ‘saga anxiety’ was a real problem among Essendon diehards.

“Of the nine fans profiled in the book, at least two suffered mental health issues because of the strain of the endless stream of negative news coming out about the club they love,” Edwards said.

“Add that to my own relationship breakdown I talk about in the book, then that’s almost a third who suffered mental health problems. So that could well mean a third of Essendon supporters — I’m talking about tens of thousands — were in the same boat.”

Edwards, who lives in Essendon and works for Leader Community News, said seeing 34 of the players go through the supplements ordeal led fans to depression and anxiety which they carried into their workplaces and homes.

“In the timeline in the book, I identified 68 major events over the four years of the turmoil,” he said.

“Essendon fans were constantly reminded of this, there was no escape. It was in every paper, it was on every radio and TV news bulletin. Worse still, they were ridiculed wherever they went for following the Bombers.”

Edwards said the book celebrated the resilience shown by most of the Essendon fans, who despite finding it a challenging four years decided to stick with the club.

“I find it a testament to the loyalty of the Bomber fans that 57,577 could sign up in 2016 when basically they weren’t expected to win a game,” he said.

If your support for a footy club is the cause of relationship breakdowns and mental illness you need to seek professional help and detach yourself. It's people kicking a ball around a field.

I'm interested in what Rick's 68 major events are. I wouldn't be surprised coming from an EFC die hard, they will be heavily focused on what the AFL / ASADA / WADA / CAS / media did and not the actions of the EFC....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its an idiotic premise for a book.
So you don't think people have struggled or should have struggled mentally throughout the last 4 years given everything that's occurred? You don't think people might read it and potentially take solace from it? I find this stance from you of all people quite hard to believe.

Idiotic and a joke. Well, you've set the tone of this thread beautifully. For anyone still confused about why this board has been punted to where it has, look no further than this thread.

So you don't think people have struggled or should have struggled mentally throughout the last 4 years given everything that's occurred? You don't think people might read it and potentially take solace from it? I find this stance from you of all people quite hard to believe.

Idiotic and a joke. Well, you've set the tone of this thread beautifully. For anyone still confused about why this board has been punted to where it has, look no further than this thread.
Nah chiefs super has just about dried up in this forum , only Bruce and his ravings create a bit of intrest

Fans were the true victims in this

Except the stand by Hird ones who can GAGF

Yep. There are some Essendon supporters you really cannot feel sorry for. There comes a time in life when you need to own up to your mistakes and look to change, but some people at Essendon still think they did nothing wrong, and others who think everyone else is to blame. I have no sympathy for those types.

The true victims here are the opposition supporters who have spent the past four years of their lives utterly obsessed with this saga to the point of gleefully wallowing in the schadenfreude whilst revealing what truly sad individuals they are (as evident by the OP).

These people (you know who you are), some who have already posted on this thread others who are a bees dick away from yet another rant, are the ones who truly need to get their stories out and garner our sympathy.

I want to give a shout out to anyone of these poor souls to take up this challenge to produce a book with your stories of why the saga has triggered your bullying tactics, your mental health issues and strains and stresses on your relationships.

It may be cathartic and give you solace.
Won't someone please think of the opposition supporters!

The true victims here are the opposition supporters who have spent the past four years of their lives utterly obsessed with this saga to the point of gleefully wallowing in the schadenfreude whilst revealing what truly sad individuals they are (as evident by the OP).

These people (you know who you are), some who have already posted on this thread others who are a bees dick away from yet another rant, are the ones who truly need to get their stories out and garner our sympathy.

I want to give a shout out to anyone of these poor souls to take up this challenge to produce a book with your stories of why the saga has triggered your bullying tactics, your mental health issues and strains and stresses on your relationships.

It may be cathartic and give you solace.
Won't someone please think of the opposition supporters!

What a load of manure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back