New Brisbane Stadium (2032 Olympics)

Remove this Banner Ad

Any large stadium will be rectangular. Athletics doesn't need to be in main stadium.

There's already a large rectangular stadium in Brisbane: Lang Park. I guess they might use it for the opening and closing ceremonies - not the worst idea. I can't see them building another 50k+ rectangular stadium for the games, since there's simply no need for it.

There's already a large rectangular stadium in Brisbane: Lang Park. I guess they might use it for the opening and closing ceremonies - not the worst idea. I can't see them building another 50k+ rectangular stadium for the games, since there's simply no need for it.
From the articles I've seen, lang Park is the primary rectangle based stadium. This new stadium would be built for the athletics and ceremonies. If they do not build the Olympic stadium they will hold the ceremonies at a current stadium in Brisbane with the athletics at metricon.

It definitely sounds like the post Olympic stadium would be used for an oval based sport. Giving the gabbas age it would be a fair bet they would turn it into a boutique ground.

What happens when lions drop to bottom of table?? They'll have to pay for 65k stadium with 15k crowd.

Any large stadium will be rectangular. Athletics doesn't need to be in main stadium.
It will not be a 65k stadium I can guarantee that, the absolute max post games would be 50k. That will be more than manageable since a brand new 50k stadium would easily attract more fans than the current 40k Gabba anyways.

Even for the Olympics it might be 50k since there’s no longer any minimum capacity requirement for an Olympic Stadium.

It will not be a 65k stadium I can guarantee that, the absolute max post games would be 50k. That will be more than manageable since a brand new 50k stadium would easily attract more fans than the current 40k Gabba anyways.

Even for the Olympics it might be 50k since there’s no longer any minimum capacity requirement for an Olympic Stadium.

Queensland Sport and Athletic Centre | Austadiums

Revamp this 48,500 venue? Pulled a 59,000 crowd in the Super League days.

Look at all that suburbia, would be a terrible way to showcase Brisbane to the world

It's basically a poor-mans Waverley Park
yeah, probably wont happen. Haven't even seen any mention of it. Athletics wise it seems like its either a new stadium or metricon.

It's a dump dude

Hasnt been used (for frowds) since SuperLeague. Not suggesting getting rid of the cobwebs & a spit of paint. Build a new 'you bewt' stand.
Similar in WA after the 62 Commonwealth Games, a new facility at Perry Lakes & there was discussions over using it for the WAFL, but nothing came of it. Sat around for decades before being demolished.

Hasnt been used (for frowds) since SuperLeague. Not suggesting getting rid of the cobwebs & a spit of paint. Build a new 'you bewt' stand.
Similar in WA after the 62 Commonwealth Games, a new facility at Perry Lakes & there was discussions over using it for the WAFL, but nothing came of it. Sat around for decades before being demolished.

Its in a crappy location, and its a seriously bad stadium. to make it viable it needs to be demo'ed completely, and im not sure how you improve the transport links

Its in a crappy location, and its a seriously bad stadium. to make it viable it needs to be demo'ed completely, and im not sure how you improve the transport links

The location is a problem, no more so than many other of the suggestions. The penchant for wanting to build new stadiums that will be rarely used .....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The land value for the gabba would be worth a certain % of the new stadium. Not a majority but every bit helps.

Its a fantastic opportunity to build a 60,000 seat oval stadium for a city of 2.5 million people, and a region of almost 4 million, in the right location. BBL will pack it out and a competative Brisbane will go close. The afl will be all over it make no mistake. Its all about growing the game. 2032 will be about a decade past Covid. Nobody stands still in this game.

The land value for the gabba would be worth a certain % of the new stadium. Not a majority but every bit helps.

Its a fantastic opportunity to build a 60,000 seat oval stadium for a city of 2.5 million people, and a region of almost 4 million, in the right location. BBL will pack it out and a competative Brisbane will go close. The afl will be all over it make no mistake. Its all about growing the game. 2032 will be about a decade past Covid. Nobody stands still in this game.
I'm not sure if they would be willing to sell off, atleast not the majority of the land. Would be more likely to be parkland.

I was thinking something more like...

View attachment 1066755

...except with palm trees instead of those extremely un-Queenslandery Moreton Bay figs.

Horseshoe style seems a no-brainer to me, and not just because it's the easiest way to turn it into a football/cricket stadium after the Games are completed. Biggest lesson from the Gabba has to be about future expandability. 50,000 with a whole open end left to build up, that's your city's coliseum for 100 years and beyond.

Plus, even though the WACA stayed, Subiaco was still demolished. As was Football Park and Waverley. But I guess there's always the disastrous Homebush blueprint that could be followed.

This. Do it once and do it properly. No one will lament the Gabba’s demise, just as no one laments Footy Park’s demise.

The stadium could have temporary seats at one end for the Olympics then replace them with an Adelaide Oval style hill afterwards. Perfect for the Queensland climate, just like the old dog track at the Gabba, where the crowd could really get close to the action (pigs included):
C7B9E1D5-430B-413E-AA3D-B0CA0FF678B4.jpeg

While we’re at it, let’s also include an old-style XXXX Can Bar, just like Lang Park in the glory days:

Rectangle and circular can be difficult to manage. So many complaints about anz and marvel.
Docklands is quality on the convenience scale, took them years to figure out how to get the turf right and the roof/sunlight issues, but it's all well and good now

• Right next to Melbourne's biggest train station
  • Plenty of places closeby to get a bite to eat or a drink before/after games
  • Stadium capacity is generally fine for what it's used for (aside from Essendon away games where you can only sit up in the nosebleeds)
Homebush is a different kettle of fish

I think based on what Perth and Adelaide have done recently, a new stadium for anything more than 55-60k seems pretty pointless, those 2 cities fill their stadiums far more frequently than what Brisbane teams do (aside for SOO or whenever their teams are travelling well)

But yeah, unfortunately the Gabba seems it will be a casualty here.

50k or so is probably right, I think it will be very important to get the post Olympic venue downpat though, you look at Homebush, it only gets filled 2-3 times a year (SOO and GF), while it's kinda an in-between venue to rectangular sports and oval sports, it just hasn't really grown in prestige as a premium venue imo, just a venue in Sydney with the biggest stadium capacity.

Perhaps something with similar ground dimensions to the MCG will be best then maybe some sort of continuous 3 tier stand similar to Perth/Docklands could work, or a horseshoe style as mentioned earlier

I think the London stadium/West Ham Uniteds ground is something to look at too

What seems a common gripe from West Ham fans these days, they hate sitting further away than normal. So post Olympics it only makes sense for an oval sport to be played there, then if Brisbane gets the Commonwealth games again a few decades later, it could easily be modified for that.

It's not impossible if you extend the busway from Griffith University, although you'd have to take out at least one lane of general traffic, otherwise you'd encroach on a cemetery and the new netball arena, or demolish relatively new apartment blocks. But you're correct that it's in a crappy location and would need a complete rebuild. I had wondered in the past why it still remained standing when there's Griffith University nearby that presumably could have used more student housing.

Ultimately, both QSAC and the Brisbane Entertainment Centre are relics of the 70s, 80s and 90s - a time when we thought everyone could drive everywhere for any event, and facilities were planned with this in mind (like Waverley or Football Park). They're completely out of kilter with the 21st century and aren't fit for purpose.

Last edited:
It's not impossible if you extend the busway from Griffith University, although you'd have to take out at least one lane of general traffic, otherwise you'd encroach on a cemetery and the new netball arena, or demolish relatively new apartment blocks. But you're correct that it's in a crappy location and would need a complete rebuild. I had wondered in the past why it still remained standing when there's Griffith University nearby that presumably could have used more student housing.

Ultimately, both QSAC and the Brisbane Entertainment Centre are relics of the 80s and 90s - a time when we thought everyone could drive everywhere for any event, and facilities were planned with this in mind (like Waverley or Football Park). They're completely out of kilter with the 21st century and aren't fit for purpose.

Google maps wouldn't even give me a PT path to get their from Central :p

And you hit the nail. Everything there is buses (you have a major bus terminus just up the road)

People hate buses though, as we saw with Waverley Park. And it's not a short walk from a station, so it's car or bus or * off

I used to work in Nathan and then EMP, so spent way too much time in that area

Remove this Banner Ad

Back