New Brisbane Stadium (2032 Olympics)

Remove this Banner Ad

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
A sellout at the Gabba these days is around 35 000, and then if they really have to, they'll open up a few more areas that aren't in regular use, but even that doesn't go past 37 500. The true capacity has dropped in the past decade.
people are quoting 42k because that is the largest official capacity that is quoted by many sources, even though it is,as you say, is 37.5k. I guess it looks better when you complain about the spend.

What work did they just finish? Was it just related to corporate boxes and a tidy of the concession stands?

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
The only concern I have about the Gabba redevelopment is they just finished one last October.

Also, is there only going to be the single pathway into the stadium?
The last one was a paint job and some led lighting essentially.

yes there will be one major entrance from the cross river rail station and the existing bus station.+ it’s not a long walk from the Brisbane metro station at mater hill. All of them will be across Main St.

the other end is the school and Wellington road. And vulture and Stanley on either side.
vulture is closed after big games. Stanley too.

There is literally no parking in that area. None. So they want you to catch public transit which will probs be capable of 25000 per hour. If not more.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Waste of time building it to 50k capacity.

Make it 60k minimum. Optus stadium is already too small.

By 20340 there will be just shy of 4 million people residing in Brisbane.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Waste of time building it to 50k capacity.

Make it 60k minimum. Optus stadium is already too small.

By 20340 there will be just shy of 4 million people residing in Brisbane.
For afl maybe, but both freo and weagles are highly supported. In qld it is not, same as cricket. Perth scorchers don't sell out, neither does the tests, odi or t20.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
people are quoting 42k because that is the largest official capacity that is quoted by many sources, even though it is,as you say, is 37.5k. I guess it looks better when you complain about the spend.

What work did they just finish? Was it just related to corporate boxes and a tidy of the concession stands?
I don't know the full extent of the work, but they certainly added a few bells and whistles to make it seem less like a series of soulless concrete pillars stacked together.

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
At the moment
From the website

Upgrades to the venue include:

• enhancements to entries and ticketing areas
  • refreshed public concourses
  • speciality bar and food outlets
  • new bar and entertainments spaces
  • improved signage and wayfinding
  • upgraded media and corporate spaces.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
From the website

Upgrades to the venue include:

• enhancements to entries and ticketing areas
  • refreshed public concourses
  • speciality bar and food outlets
  • new bar and entertainments spaces
  • improved signage and wayfinding
  • upgraded media and corporate spaces.
Sounds like it was on the minor side of things. Mind you nothing will happen for another 3 years (estimated)

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
The main question is what will happen to the Lions coloured seats?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Probably more of an option then you think. Would depend on how the work is done and if it could be done in stages.

Surely it has to be Metricon?

Would give the Queensland Government more bang for their buck (more games at a stadium managed by Stadiums Queensland) and the AFL could use it as leverage to upgrade Metricon in addition to the Gabba?

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably more of an option then you think. Would depend on how the work is done and if it could be done in stages.
The Reserve at Springfield project has had delays. Latest being major roadworks restricting access to the site
Some work has started again in the last 2 weeks after months of inactivity
Was originally expected to be ready by November this year in time for the AFLW season 2022. Now more likely 2023 AFLW season
Was mentioned that the venue would be used in some capacity for the Olympics. Most likely a training hub or something along those lines
However with this Gabba announcement yesterday they may reconsider their plan for Springfield.

I think the original plan was for 10 k seating capacity. Would not take a great deal of money to bring that up to 15K permanent and construct temporary seating of 5 to 10 K bringing the total to 20 to 25K a year before the Gabba is demolished
One image is of a completed "The Reserve" at Springfield to give you an idea of the final product
The other taken today

1618965522597.png

1618965472776.png

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely it has to be Metricon?

Would give the Queensland Government more bang for their buck (more games at a stadium managed by Stadiums Queensland) and the AFL could use it as leverage to upgrade Metricon in addition to the Gabba?
Not saying it won't be metricon (which will likely also need renovations). The reserve is very much an option, with ease of increasing capacity of the venue if required. I'm thinking it may be both, or the gabba is done in enough stages to be operational for the majority of the redevelopment.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Gabba Crowds | Austadiums

Dont worry about the capacity.

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
Not saying it won't be metricon (which will likely also need renovations). The reserve is very much an option, with ease of increasing capacity of the venue if required. I'm thinking it may be both, or the gabba is done in enough stages to be operational for the majority of the redevelopment.
People were talking of a change to the level of the playing surface. In which case, the stadium is closed till its finished.

Springfield would be a bit of a transport bear, i know it has a train station, but a half hour service interval isn’t going to cut it. And there is bugger all parking, or room for parking.

Whether they run a shuttle train from the city to Darra, and then all change to a shuttLe running thru richlands, which has a decent park and ride (it could be bigger)

and people will get lost getting to the freeway if they do drive.

Pacman82

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SMFC | Celtics
I recall in '19 vs Geelong it was a sellout at 36,000 (what a great game to be at). To keep up with population growth I'd have thought 60,000+ seats after a refurb, but I guess its hard when the stands already overhang Stanley & Vulture st.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I recall in '19 vs Geelong it was a sellout at 36,000 (what a great game to be at). To keep up with population growth I'd have thought 60,000+ seats after a refurb, but I guess its hard when the stands already overhang Stanley & Vulture st.
I think they need to bite the bullet and remove one if not both streets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back