The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
That release indicates the gabba is the confirmed site for a redevelooed main stadium. The question I had is, doesnt the olympic main stadium have to have a min capacity of 60000? Wouldnt brisbane be better keeping a stadium of that size into the future instead of downsizing it into 50000?
Not anymore. It is all flexible for the host city (this way it can attract more host cities)

ForzaRoma

Team Captain
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looks like lions may get some money out of it
They will also be hosting Olympic games at our new Springfield fascility too. Word is, the Queensland government will want us to play our home games across regional Queensland too, which i'm sure will be backed by financial incentivies as well as the prospect of returning to a redeveloped Gabba that we didn't pay for at all.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looks like lions may get some money out of it
Are you are talking about the facility at Springfield "The Reserve" mentioned in video
That project is already funded and underway.
Admittingly 12 months behind schedule
The Lions will most likely lose money during the Gabba construction phase starting around 2024
Demolishing The Gabba and rebuilding will take 2.5 to 3years.
So loss of revenue and playing away from home will be difficult
In the long run the Lions will be better placed once the games are over
Image from the Reserve Springfield today 12.05 PM

1623377154128.png

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
I'm assuming Brisbane will play home games at Springfield, while the Gabba is re-done

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Are you are talking about the facility at Springfield "The Reserve" mentioned in video
That project is already funded and underway.
Admittingly 12 months behind schedule
The Lions will most likely lose money during the Gabba construction phase starting around 2024
Demolishing The Gabba and rebuilding will take 2.5 to 3years.
So loss of revenue and playing away from home will be difficult
In the long run the Lions will be better placed once the games are over
Image from the Reserve Springfield today 12.05 PM

View attachment 1152281
I was talking about Springfield. Knowing that the initial development is underway, I assuming that additional work may be required in order use the facility for the modern pentathlon.

It's good to see alot of training venues are being used for the games. It will be interesting where the Lions, and less so the Broncos and suns will play while work is done (assuming both metricon and suncrop are getting a facelift).

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
I was talking about Springfield. Knowing that the initial development is underway, I assuming that additional work may be required in order use the facility for the modern pentathlon.

It's good to see alot of training venues are being used for the games. It will be interesting where the Lions, and less so the Broncos and suns will play while work is done (assuming both metricon and suncrop are getting a facelift).
And cricket in Brisbane, doubt they'd play test matches at AB Field.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I would think Metricon & Suncorp venues will just be maintenance type improvements
The Sydney and Melbourne venues are well used and will be kept safe and up to date within their respective budgets

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And cricket in Brisbane, doubt they'd play test matches at AB Field.
Both codes will be affected
Without knowing forward planning we can only guess
As far as Test matches are concerned the Brisbane public miss out but cricket will not lose revenue or crowd numbers
They just play at any of the various Australia venues available
Shield cricket just plays at AB field with no loss of revenue or crowd numbers
However the other popular versions of cricket will lose home game revenue and Brisbane people will miss out following their side

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Could play them at metricon. Metricon and suncorp would be in line for some cosmetic surgery by the time 2030 rolls around, but not even close to the extent that is being done at the gabba.
Can't play cricket at Suncorp
Depending what/if any Olympic sports plans are for Metricon that is the only place to play AFL & cricket
Interestingly the video mentions the "Carrara Cluster" shows Metricon but only mentions:-
Gold Coast Sports & Leisure Centre and Royal Pines Golf Course
Could have just missed mentioning Carrara ??
Carrara was originally mentioned for Athletics (crazy idea) but that is now defiantly The Gabba
Anyhow if it is not being used for the games Metricon would obviously help out the Lions & Suns AFL and also cricket
Hopefully that is what happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't play cricket at Suncorp
Depending what/if any Olympic sports plans are for Metricon that is the only place to play AFL & cricket
Interestingly the video mentions the "Carrara Cluster" shows Metricon but only mentions:-
Gold Coast Sports & Leisure Centre and Royal Pines Golf Course
Could have just missed mentioning Carrara ??
Carrara was originally mentioned for Athletics (crazy idea) but that is now defiantly The Gabba
Anyhow if it is not being used for the games Metricon would obviously help out the Lions & Suns AFL and also cricket
Hopefully that is what happens
I was more thinking suncrop, along with metricon would need some work done, with the cricket to be hosted at metricon. I had a look through the video again and you're right, metricon isn't mentioned (just shown). The gold coast sports and leisure centre I belive is apart of the suns training complex.

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
I was more thinking suncrop, along with metricon would need some work done, with the cricket to be hosted at metricon. I had a look through the video again and you're right, metricon isn't mentioned (just shown). The gold coast sports and leisure centre I belive is apart of the suns training complex.
The sports and leisure centre is huge and community facility. the suns might train in there for certain things but it really isn’t a part of their complex.

and i cant see how any AFL game could be at Springfield. There’s not a whole bunch of room around there. 1 side is the railway and orion. not sure there is a whole lot more room on the other 2 sides.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
and i cant see how any AFL game could be at Springfield. There’s not a whole bunch of room around there. 1 side is the railway and orion. not sure there is a whole lot more room on the other 2 sides.
Given it's supposed to hold 10 000 for AFLW games, I'd say AFL games could definitely be held there, with some temporary seating.

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
Given it's supposed to hold 10 000 for AFLW games, I'd say AFL games could definitely be held there, with some temporary seating.
Its not the facility as much as getting there and staying there. There is almost nowhere to park And looking at the final design, that’s not changing anytime soon. a train every 30 mins on the weekends isn’t a solution. Orion is pretty busy as it is and they’ll not want people parking there.

I just cant see how you can get a decent number of people in and out.

5D9FA31E-FB11-4B7B-9930-0A9C4F5C04A7.jpeg

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Its not the facility as much as getting there and staying there. There is almost nowhere to park And looking at the final design, that’s not changing anytime soon. a train every 30 mins on the weekends isn’t a solution. Orion is pretty busy as it is and they’ll not want people parking there.

View attachment 1154225
It sounds like the train lines will be upgraded, and it wouldn't run to the weekend timetable on event days.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not only can they increase the number of trains going there, the station itself has a a car park, which can be upgraded if necessary I'm sure.

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
Not only can they increase the number of trains going there, the station itself has a a car park, which can be upgraded if necessary I'm sure.
the carpark has just been extended. That’s it. There is no more room. They cant go up. There’s a train line in the way. You can see by the render there’s no room anywhere else unless they knock down the school.

the station is a terminus on the end of a 3 station spur from Darra. Its high off the ground. trains coming in/out have to cross tracks depending on when they arrive/depart. It cuts down the frequency that can be Achieved. During peak during the week its every 6 minutes. I think thats all they’re comfy With.

Running a shuttle from darra comes with its own problems. There are 4 lines there. Platform 1 outbound towards Springfield. 2 inbound from Springfield, platform 3 outbound to ippy, 4 inbound from ippy. Crossing lines is difficult, esp from the ippy lines to the Springfield lines, ie the first available crossing is up near Oxley and its from the inbound Springfield line to the outbound ippy line. Also past darra toward Springfield the cross over of the inbound and outbound lines is at Richlands.

Its a difficult spot For transport.

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
It sounds like the train lines will be upgraded, and it wouldn't run to the weekend timetable on event days.

That would cost way more that the redevelopment by a very very large margin. look up pictures of the station and its approaches. They arent doing that for 20 AFL games.

they might run an expanded timetable, this is true. I think 10 trains an hour is about it tho.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
My guess is that Metricon is being used on standby. Cricket or even Baseball could be played there. We’ve got AB Field but given crickets popularity in Australia, they’d need a bigger venue so Metricon suits.

I'm assuming Brisbane will play home games at Springfield, while the Gabba is re-done
Id be pushing for something like

6x Metricon
3x Cazalys
1x Riveway
1x Mackay

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Id be pushing for something like

6x Metricon
3x Cazalys
1x Riveway
1x Mackay
I wouldn't. I'd much rather play at Springfield, or failing that, somewhere in our academy territory, like the Sunshine Coast or Toowoomba, if the government are willing to cough up some funds to upgrade facilities in those places.

bear3

Rookie
Mar 14, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics

View attachment 1154225
They are building a multi level carpark across the road for the station which will hold 1000 cars i think construction has already started you can see cranes on the left top of the reserve camera feed in the spot where it is supposed to be built.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back