New Brisbane Stadium (2032 Olympics)

Remove this Banner Ad

Also having a look at the planned schedule. The redevelopment is meant to take place from 2026-2030 so that is four years out. Given it is a complete rebuild, they wouldn't be able to just play like they did at the MCG.

Also having a look at the planned schedule. The redevelopment is meant to take place from 2026-2030 so that is four years out. Given it is a complete rebuild, they wouldn't be able to just play like they did at the MCG.
Over that many years, you could do it, say, a quarter of the stadium at a time and never have the capacity drop below 26-27,000

Id be pushing for something like

6x Metricon
3x Cazalys
1x Riveway
1x Mackay

2 or 3 years away from Brisbane would be a crippling blow for the Lions and Australian Football in Brisbane.

When you look at the Broncos and Bears / Lions it wasnt until the Bears moved to the Gabba and the Broncos moved to Nathan that the Lions and Broncos started to draw similar crowds (1998 until 2003)

In addition to Super League and the fall of the QLD Reds it was the Broncos move to Nathan that gave the Lions the leg up it needed in the Brisbane market.

On the back of the 2020 AFL Grand Final, the poor performing Broncos and the exodus of the middle / upper class away from the Reds, the Lions have never had an opportunity like the present to solidy their position in the Brisbane market.

They mightn't take the working class away from rugby but they can take a sizable chunk of the lucrative inner suburbs (like the Swans in Sydney)

2 or 3 years away from Brisbane would be a crippling blow for the Lions and Australian Football in Brisbane.
I agree, but what alternatives are there? Unless piecemeal rebuilding can happen (and I doubt it can), we're likely playing at Springfield until they need to redevelop it for the Olympics, and then we'll probably have to play at Metricon in 2032. The only other option I see is the government building a temporary stadium at one of the suburban ovals, which is later demounted and installed permanently in a regional city, like how Cairns got the obsolete Gabba stands.

I would think the redevelopment would be done in stages so they can still play atleast most of that period at the gabba

I recall in '19 vs Geelong it was a sellout at 36,000 (what a great game to be at). To keep up with population growth I'd have thought 60,000+ seats after a refurb, but I guess its hard when the stands already overhang Stanley & Vulture st.
I think they need to bite the bullet and remove one if not both streets
I think if they knocked the place down and rebuilt it, they would just make the ground much narrower. An athletics track doesn't need much more than 125m width fence to fence, while the current ground is almost 150m wide fence to fence. Could end up with a long narrow Kardinia Pk shaped ground.

I wouldn't. I'd much rather play at Springfield, or failing that, somewhere in our academy territory, like the Sunshine Coast or Toowoomba, if the government are willing to cough up some funds to upgrade facilities in those places.

It feels like a different conversation now compared to pre Covid. After last season it feels like games can just about be played anywhere.

Could end up with a long narrow Kardinia Pk shaped ground.
There's absolutely no chance of any change being that dramatic. Bet ya bottom dollar it'll be shaved down by about 6m in width and extended by 8m in length, and the result will be something pretty much identical to the stadium in Perth.

I agree, but what alternatives are there? Unless piecemeal rebuilding can happen (and I doubt it can), we're likely playing at Springfield until they need to redevelop it for the Olympics, and then we'll probably have to play at Metricon in 2032. The only other option I see is the government building a temporary stadium at one of the suburban ovals, which is later demounted and installed permanently in a regional city, like how Cairns got the obsolete Gabba stands.

Surely if the build is taking 3-4 years, we can assume they're doing it in stages and the Gabba can be used throughout at reduced capacity. It's hard to see how it would take that long if it's just a straight knock-down and rebuild...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's absolutely no chance of any change being that dramatic. Bet ya bottom dollar it'll be shaved down by about 6m in width and extended by 8m in length, and the result will be something pretty much identical to the stadium in Perth.
Sure, Kardinia is ridiculously narrow, but I'd reckon it'd have to be longer and narrower than what you'd bet, for a few reasons. Firstly, it's already hanging 7 or 8m over Stanley St with the stand at only 41 rows on that side (there are 7 less rows in the bottom tier to allow for a concourse). If you want a 50+ row stand, the architects, engineers & town planners, fire safety engineers, will all want as much space as possible for concourse, access/egress & footpath space (Especially with a higher number of patrons, & when compared to what the requirements were when they built that stand in the 90s). There's no absolute necessity to make the field any wider than 125m, so it would be difficult to push against that, purely from a football perspective, especially when there are other instances of narrower grounds already in use. In terms of length, Perth stadium isn't long enough for an athletics track, without taking out the first 5 rows of seating at either end, a la MCG '06. That's a very unusual precedent though, as you essentially end up with everyone at either end of the stadium blocked from seeing the outside 5 or 6 lanes of runners, as they run past the one part of the stadium where you are waiting to get a close look at them (Assuming the sight lines are set, say, 3 or 4m infield from the permanent fence line, as usual). With a view that it will never be used for athletics again, I suppose they may do that (as it would definitely be better long term) but I'd wager they won't considering the Olympics will be so front of mind in the design process.

There's no absolute necessity to make the field any wider than 125m, so it would be difficult to push against that, purely from a football perspective, especially when there are other instances of narrower grounds already in use.
A billion dollars to permanently condemn it as the worst major cricket ground in the country is pretty steep, but that's what would happen if it was resized to 125m in width.

In terms of length, Perth stadium isn't long enough for an athletics track, without taking out the first 5 rows of seating at either end, a la MCG '06. That's a very unusual precedent though, as you essentially end up with everyone at either end of the stadium blocked from seeing the outside 5 or 6 lanes of runners, as they run past the one part of the stadium where you are waiting to get a close look at them (Assuming the sight lines are set, say, 3 or 4m infield from the permanent fence line, as usual).
MCG '06 would be a pretty natural precedent to follow, and easier to apply for a Perth Stadium-sized ground wherein there's 5m extra to work with. Also:
Athletics
  • Capable of hosting international athletics events, such as the IAAF World Championships and meets Commonwealth Games requirements.
  • Removable concrete plats on the lower bowl to facilitate reconfiguration into athletics mode.

With Brisbane having been awarded preferred city status and most likely confirmed to be the 2032 Olympics hosts in July, I thought it’d be good to start a discussion on Brisbane Olympic Stadium which is currently the 1st option to host the ceremonies and athletics (the GABBA and Carrara are alternatives also being discussed).

The current proposal calls for a 50,000 seat venue just north east of the CBD. It’s a bit hard to figure out the exact site but that is probably still up in the air along with designs and costing. As much as I love the Gabba and how central it is, it is landlocked into a tiny area with part of the stands hanging off over the road so a new location is needed really. View attachment 1064693

View attachment 1064694

For the AFL this would be a massive bonus with the Lions getting a brand new state of the art stadium that won’t be too large and can allow them to grow considerably. And the Gabba will be available throughout construction so there’ll be no disruption to the AFL or cricket seasons leading up to 2032.
With Brisbane now confirmed for the 2032 Olympics it would be a win win situation for the Lions to move there, but the costs will be a lot higher i would have thought than the Gabba, and it could turn into a Dutch auction if the NRL want Brisbane 2 to play out of there. Anyway 10 years is a long way off a lot off and some of us probably won't be around to see it.

With Brisbane now confirmed for the 2032 Olympics it would be a win win situation for the Lions to move there, but the costs will be a lot higher i would have thought than the Gabba, and it could turn into a Dutch auction if the NRL want Brisbane 2 to play out of there. Anyway 10 years is a long way off a lot off and some of us probably won't be around to see it.
How do you know you won’t be around in 2032 take every day as a new challenge mate.
You maybe could still be around.😃

How do you know you won’t be around in 2032 take every day as a new challenge mate.
You maybe could still be around.😃
Hopefully, but you never know. What i do know though is that the sporting landscape will be very different when and if we get through covid. The taxpayers of Australia will be paying off the cost of covid for many many years affecting us all and ALL sports.

it could turn into a Dutch auction if the NRL want Brisbane 2 to play out of there.

Why would a low-drawing club want to play in an expensive oval ?
To save costs I would imagine the Olympic stadium to be a pure oval suitable for cricket and AFL.
NRL have a great stadium so why wouldn't Brisbane2 play there ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back