• B Scott

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
David Teague has stated that he had minimal support from the club. You can’t expect the senior coach to be able to extract the best from himself if the club doesn’t support him. No doubt they’ll give Ross Lyon everything he wants if he is to take over.

Luke Sayers and Cain Liddle bumbled on about the game plan not being defensive enough. They didn’t think that could be rectified. So basically he has been sacked because he wasn’t defensive enough? That’s essentially a perfect example of the off field flashing with the on field.

It’s absolutely evident that the old guard in Sayers is still carrying the old can. They even let Greg Williams go last year but have hired him back? As football director? That’s a massive backflip, for a bloke that was a part time skills coach who lost his job to cost cutting to be asked to come back as footy director.

It sounds like the defensive element was a huge issue and that needed improving. Surprise surprise. There are so many ways to do that without having to throw the baby out with the bath water. An absolute comedy of errors at Carlton.

Last edited:

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
yeah yeah Tiger supporters were saying the same at one point. Can't imagine he will be leaving the Bombers for a little while yet. Both Rutten and Caracella were your 2 best recruits.
I called bullshit on your smartest guy in the room in regards to Blake.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The whole Zac Williams situation is baffling. You’re paying a fortune for a defender and trying to make him a midfielder. It’d be like Christian Salem going somewhere else and getting 800k to play midfield. And the whole Saad situation is another urine take. Why has he been hailed as one of the answers on the other half back flank?

Cerra has no idea what he is getting himself in for. Unless Dow, O’Brien, SPS all improve significantly, and Cripps hets his body right, it’ll be Walsh and Cerra to hold up the Blues midfield. Massive expectations for a 22 year old at a club that has no patience.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
No he can’t

If I were a gambling man, I would bet any amount of money that Lyon will get Carlton to the finals in the next couple of years. Maybe even next year. He has a great track record for bringing results. Not the ultimate result, but his history speaks for itself. The team already exists, the talent is mostly there, Lyon can do something with that.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Will they appoint Lyon after his pretty average exit from Fremantle? Not sure if it works. Craig McCrae might be better to look at. Given Collingwood are going hard why don’t they look at his credentials. If they pick Lyon without interviewing other coaches then it’s a balls up.
I reckon carlton will interview a few people before settling with Lyon.

But is Lyon going to have the style to get the blues up?
yep.

he can improve some underperforming and substandard players and turn them into decent players.

I mean, he got freo to a grand final.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
How many finals have you won in the last decade? A rabble comes in many shapes and sizes and perhaps the blues is the biggest of them all, but your club lost 3 high profile players last year and had a complete fiasco regarding a coaching changeover, went through the drug saga and even survived Woosha. My brothers a massive Dons nuffie and even he would agree with that. Brasher came in and gave one of the toughest statements I'd seen from a president in years and Truck made it clear that mediocrity wouldnt be accepted any longer over one off season. The next year? Finals bound. Carlton is a rabble of the highest degree but things can change quickly with the right people in place - just like Melbourne, Richmond and the Doggies before them.

That being said... do I have faith we are going to turn it around? Nope. Still trying to spin everything in a positive light even in the presser today.

I'll be rooting for the Dons to win this week as I believe they are the better team, maybe not on individual talent but on heart and spirit definitely. Which is all I want Carlton to be. Couldn't care less who we have running out there as long as they show some passion for the jumper.

you have a point there....

People bash carltons playing list saying its horrible. I dont think its as bad as most people think.

People said richmonds team was garbage back in 2016 Because they only had Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Alex Rance.

Carltons core has Weitering, McKay, Walsh, Cripps. (Add Adam Cerra too if he gets traded in)

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It'll be Lyon. Carlton will be desperate for an experienced coach. Lyon can basically guarantee them a deep finals appearance.
my thoughts exactly.....

If Carlton hires Ross Lyon as coach and the Carlton board are patient, I wont be suprised that carlton make a grand final in 2-4 years.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne

People bash carltons playing list saying its horrible. I dont think its as bad as most people think.

People said richmonds team was garbage back in 2016 Because they only had Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Alex Rance.

Carltons core has Weitering, McKay, Walsh, Cripps. (Add Adam Cerra too if he gets traded in)
Richmond played finals 3 years in a row prior to 2016. Not even comparable to Carlton.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
my thoughts exactly.....

If Carlton hires Ross Lyon as coach and the Carlton board are patient, I wont be suprised that carlton make a grand final in 2-4 years.
Absolutely no idea why this would be the case. He took over St Kilda with an established list that had played finals 3 years in a row was at his disposal. Fremantle played finals in 2010 and had the list somewhat developed when Lyon took over in 2012. I am not saying he can’t coach, but he is going to be restructuring that list for a good 12 months, then might get into the 8 by 2023. Might make finals in 2023.

Very different scenarios than the Saints and dockers I reckon.

Richmond made finals in the three years prior to 2016 winning 15, 12 and 15 games respectively.

Carlton in 2021 is NOTHING like Richmond in 2016.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
If I were a gambling man, I would bet any amount of money that Lyon will get Carlton to the finals in the next couple of years. Maybe even next year. He has a great track record for bringing results. Not the ultimate result, but his history speaks for itself. The team already exists, the talent is mostly there, Lyon can do something with that.

Probably right but they'll play some God-awful bullshit to do it.

Ross Lyon teams win by boring the other mob into submission.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Richmond played finals 3 years in a row prior to 2016. Not even comparable to Carlton.
true....

But weitering and Mckay and Curnow are from the 2015 AFL draft. so from 2016-2021, thats 6 years of development there.

they also have Sam Petrevski senton, Zac Fisher and Tom Williamson in the 2016 Draft. So thats 3 solid players there too.

Again, I dont think the list is as horrible as most people think.

Cripptonite

All Australian
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
David Teague has stated that he had minimal support from the club. You can’t expect the senior coach to be able to extract the best from himself if the club doesn’t support him. No doubt they’ll give Ross Lyon everything he wants if he is to take over.

Luke Sayers and Cain Liddle bumbled on about the game plan not being defensive enough. They didn’t think that could be rectified. So basically he has been sacked because he wasn’t defensive enough? That’s essentially a perfect example of the off field flashing with the on field.

It’s absolutely evident that the old guard in Sayers is still carrying the old can. They even let Greg Williams go last year but have hired him back? As football director? That’s a massive backflip, for a bloke that was a part time skills coach who lost his job to cost cutting to be asked to come back as footy director.

It sounds like the defensive element was a huge issue and that needed improving. Surprise surprise. There are so many ways to do that without having to throw the baby out with the bath water. An absolute comedy of errors at Carlton.
Our high-offence game style was exposed terribly in Round Two against Collingwood. Teague and the assistants had 20 games to show some sort adjustment or improvement which never came. Even the games we won this year, we were just too easy to score against, bailed out by Weitering Walsh and McKay.

The players eventually lost faith in the coaching team due to their stubbornness of sticking to a broken system. We needed a change.

true....

But weitering and Mckay and Curnow are from the 2015 AFL draft. so from 2016-2021, thats 6 years of development there.

they also have Sam Petrevski senton, Zac Fisher and Tom Williamson in the 2016 Draft. So thats 3 solid players there too.

I don't anyone has actually questioned the top end talent at Carlton.

Walsh, Weitering, McKay - that's talent.

The problem is the players that get selected 10-20 each week are bog average, well below what most other teams are able to put out.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Absolutely no idea why this would be the case. He took over St Kilda with an established list that had played finals 3 years in a row was at his disposal. Fremantle played finals in 2010 and had the list somewhat developed when Lyon took over in 2012. I am not saying he can’t coach, but he is going to be restructuring that list for a good 12 months, then might get into the 8 by 2023. Might make finals in 2023.

Very different scenarios than the Saints and dockers I reckon.

I think it is similar. Yes Carlton didn't make finals but they aren't far off. Their main issue is defensive pressure, as teams score too easily against them. That is what Lyon is good at. For the most part, I think he already has the team to take them in finals. There will be some retooling needed of course and a few players will be delisted etc etc, but they aren't that far off.

Nah.

Our club was a rabble when it ran a shoddy supplements program.

It has since been a well run organisation that is yet to see any meaningful results on field.

It did admittedly fudge its coaching handover, but it has qualified for finals in 5 of the last nine year. Middling? Yes indisputably - no one is claiming they're world beaters. But a rabble? Nah.

Carlton on the other hand has not qualified for finals on its own merits for ten years. Literally ten years. In seven of those ten years, they've been in the bottom third.

In the past twenty years, they've won more wooden spoons than ANY OTHER TWO CLUBS COMBINED. Think about that for a second - the next two 'winningest' clubs when it comes to wooden spoons, if you COMBINE them will still have LESS spoons in the last twenty years than Carlton.

- Can't qualify for finals
- Wins wooden spoons frequently
- Recruits a key forward on 800k who has never shown he can be a key forward
- Recruits a midfielder on 800-900k who has never shown he can be a midfielder
- Hands a 900k a year contract to a captain who is a shell of himself (because you were terrified how you'd 'look' if you lost him)
- Turned a highly touted pick 5 in to a player who isn't best 22 (despite him being 23 years old)
- Set the worst season record by a non expansion side since Fitzroy
- The only club to have sacked its last three coaches before they coached 100 games (you might MAYBE be joined here by Gold Coast)

Now THAT is a rabble.

Oh I forgot - with 5 also has more number one picks than any other club. I know it's a natural correlation considering the number of spoons - but yeah.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
true....

They haven’t played finals. They’ll be lucky to play finals next year.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Our high-offence game style was exposed terribly in Round Two against Collingwood. Teague and the assistants had 20 games to show some sort adjustment or improvement which never came. Even the games we won this year, we were just too easy to score against, bailed out by Weitering Walsh and McKay.

The players eventually lost faith in the coaching team due to their stubbornness of sticking to a broken system. We needed a change.
You make changes in the off season. You can’t just change your style in the season.

Back