News New CEO - Andrew Fagan

Has been here for 5 years, that's enough for me I reckon.

Since the parklands deal is dead in the short term he has no reason to hang around.
Yeah, but what a s**t sandwich he was handed... our coach was murdered, we made and lost a grand final, that bloody camp, and ensuing fallout from that, we've sacked a coach and a footy ops guy and now we've been shut down because of COVID.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Yeah, but what a s**t sandwich he was handed... our coach was murdered, we made and lost a grand final, that bloody camp, and ensuing fallout from that, we've sacked a coach and a footy ops guy and now we've been shut down because of COVID.
I don't think he's done a bad job, quite the opposite off field actually.

But he will be remembered for all these little horror shows sadly.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think he's done a bad job, quite the opposite off field actually.

But he will be remembered for all these little horror shows sadly.
I’d want to go if I was him. Every year the club drags his name through the mud. I know the buck stops with him but at some point you delegate and there’s just monkeys all around

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I’d want to go if I was him. Every year the club drags his name through the mud. I know the buck stops with him but at some point you delegate and there’s just monkeys all around
Rugby Australia would be calling surely.

I agree though, whilst he is responsible as CEO, he cannot be held responsible for the purile nature of some of these errors.

He can tell Tyson Stengle not to drink drive, but the idiot still does. He was left out of the camp decision, but it falls on him anyway, and now this. He called for a review despite significant push back, and yet again we are seeing exactly why he did.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Who was responsible for the guys who decided on 'that bloody camp'? The CEO.

He was the one with ultimate say on who the staff under him were.

The camp is on him.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Who was responsible for the guys who decided on 'that bloody camp'? The CEO.

He was the one with ultimate say on who the staff under him were.

The camp is on him.
No it really isn't.

The camp was on the 2 men who are no longer at the club. 1 took responsibility for it while the other threw him under a bus.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
No it really isn't.

The camp was on the 2 men who are no longer at the club. 1 took responsibility for it while the other threw him under a bus.

Who was responsible for those people being in the position to make those decisions? The CEO.

Why do you think the NAB CEO stood down after the banking royal commission? Because he had ultimate responsibility for everything that happened under his watch.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Who was responsible for those people being in the position to make those decisions? The CEO.

Why do you think the NAB CEO stood down after the banking royal commission? Because he had ultimate responsibility for everything that happened under his watch.
Because he is the public face, much like Birdbrain and Pyke were at the footy club.

As I said, Fagan was the man who called for a review when nobody else wantrd it. He knew the issues ran deep and he tried to fix it.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Fagan's issue is that he doesn't know the industry intimately.

Would he know that Burton is poor in his fitness role and even worse at managing a football department? He wouldn't have ever heard of him until coming here.

So he has to trust those around him who do know and defer to their judgement. Straight away that weakens his role and influence. He's steering the ship in title only but not in practicality.

We're instantly only as good as who Ricciuto knows and rates. However Ricciuto - champion as he is - has a limited football experience himself. Played at one club. Never coached, never a manager, never involved in running a club at any level, never lived outside SA. Who is he measuring Burton against? No one because he doesn't know others intimately.

No one in a decision making position at the club has deep, wide knowledge of the AFL industry or any track record of being involved in a successful football program.

The non-football stuff Fagan has been fine.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
What a disappointment Fagan has been
Not all his fault as we are led by a lame duck Chairman who has singlehandedly destroyed the club but nevertheless he was been god awful. Time to resign Andrew along with your mate Chappy.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Would he know that Burton is poor in his fitness role and even worse at managing a football department? He wouldn't have ever heard of him until coming here.

So he has to trust those around him who do know and defer to their judgement. Straight away that weakens his role and influence. He's steering the ship in title only but not in practicality.

We're instantly only as good as who Ricciuto knows and rates. However Ricciuto - champion as he is - has a limited football experience himself. Played at one club. Never coached, never a manager, never involved in running a club at any level, never lived outside SA. Who is he measuring Burton against? No one because he doesn't know others intimately.

No one in a decision making position at the club has deep, wide knowledge of the AFL industry or any track record of being involved in a successful football program.

He's not strictly alone in that though, there's CEOs who wouldn't immediately know the intricate details of each industry.

His issue is, as you rightly say he's deferred everything to Roo. Roo is a dominant personally, even if there's board decisions he likely towers over the rest.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Ok assume I take everything you state here as fact (I don't, but lets assume). Surely this makes him completely unqualified to be an AFL team CEO then?

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Ok assume I take everything you state here as fact (I don't, but lets assume). Surely this makes him completely unqualified to be an AFL team CEO then?
Nope

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
s**t, if not having any knowledge relevant to the industry doesn't make you unsuitable.. guess I can become an AFL club CEO!
You need to know the sporting landscape, which he does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's not strictly alone in that though, there's CEOs who wouldn't immediately know the intricate details of each industry.

His issue is, as you rightly say he's deferred everything to Roo. Roo is a dominant personally, even if there's board decisions he likely towers over the rest.

Other CEO’s probably ensure that there’s a nice spread of league wide experience around the place. We employ only rookies, AFC hanger ons and cleanskins into every role. Ironically, Ben Hart is the only person I can think of that brings equivalent level experience from another club. I don’t blame Fagan, I think his hands are tied. He should quit, but what would be the point, he’s in it for himself. And even if he did, he wouldn’t talk as it would be career suicide.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
If he can add his business nous to the football nous of other board members/football managers then he'd be great. But there isn't any.

There's just an absence of football competence.

Heck we were reading the KangaTech data wrong and injured half our players as a result.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
the sporting landscape... So knowing about lawn bowls helps you run an AFL club how?
Knowing how sporting clubs run is much the same, whether it's cricket, footy or lawn bowls.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
If he can add his business nous to the football nous of other board members/football managers then he'd be great. But there isn't any.

There's just an absence of football competence.

Heck we were reading the KangaTech data wrong and injured half our players as a result.

Business nous would know not to bring in a technology you can't effectively utilize.

Business nous would know you don't put unqualified people in senior leadership positions.

Business nous would know you hold people accountable for their actions.

Business nous would mean you understand who your most valuable employees are (the players) and look after them.

Business nous would be able to handle your own business without having to bring in external auditors to highlight where you ****ed up.

Business nous would mean you don't invest in side businesses that aren't profitable and have no viable path to being profitable in the foreseeable future.

So where exactly is all this nous on display?

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Knowing how sporting clubs run is much the same, whether it's cricket, footy or lawn bowls.

Then why didn't we bring in the guy running the local lawn bowls club if that's all it takes? would have been a lot cheaper to get him than Fagan.

I'll tell you why, because you're utterly, ludicrously, wrong.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Business nous would know not to bring in a technology you can't effectively utilize.

Business nous would know you don't put unqualified people in senior leadership positions.

Business nous would know you hold people accountable for their actions.

Business nous would mean you understand who your most valuable employees are (the players) and look after them.

Business nous would be able to handle your own business without having to bring in external auditors to highlight where you f’ed up.

Business nous would mean you don't invest in side businesses that aren't profitable and have no viable path to being profitable in the foreseeable future.

So where exactly is all this nous on display?
If you're as bad at your job as you are on here, then you're saying your CEO should be sacked due to your continual incompetent performance.

That's not how things work

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Then why didn't we bring in the guy running the local lawn bowls club if that's all it takes? would have been a lot cheaper to get him than Fagan.

I'll tell you why, because you're utterly, ludicrously, wrong.
You get the guy with the best experience, that was Fagan. I'm not sure you can argue we've been great off field since his arrival.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
You get the guy with the best experience, that was Fagan. I'm not sure you can argue we've been great off field since his arrival.

How have we been better off field since his arrival than before hand?

I mean we haven't had any draft sanctions.. but given he's apparently not the one responsible for anything football related we can't give him credit for that.

Has he significantly changed the financial trajectory we are on? not really.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

You're not normally quite this dumb

The average sporting club derives it’s revenue from much the same sources. Numbers are smaller, but they’re basically just scaled down models. Except for the acquisition and operation of baseball clubs, esports teams and production companies. But the fundamentals are the same.

Back