News New CEO - Andrew Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

How have we been better off field since his arrival than before hand?

I mean we haven't had any draft sanctions.. but given he's apparently not the one responsible for anything football related we can't give him credit for that.

Has he significantly changed the financial trajectory we are on? not really.
We lost hand over fist before he arrived, we've been very good since.

We lost hand over fist before he arrived, we've been very good since.

So what new money did he bring in?

What changes did he make to save us money?

Where we're at financially because we bought back our own license and made the move to Adelaide Oval, neither of which he can take credit for.

Where we're at financially because we bought back our own license and made the move to Adelaide Oval, neither of which he can take credit for.
Since 2015 (the first season he was in charge, and post Adelaide oval and license purchase, which was a $8M line item in 2014), our football operations revenue is up from $42M to $56M, however our expenses are also well up so we are only $2M or so better off (though that does include $250K in 'facility consulting', possibly for the Aquatic Centre move).

Fagan's issue is that he doesn't know the industry intimately.

Would he know that Burton is poor in his fitness role and even worse at managing a football department? He wouldn't have ever heard of him until coming here.

So he has to trust those around him who do know and defer to their judgement. Straight away that weakens his role and influence. He's steering the ship in title only but not in practicality.

We're instantly only as good as who Ricciuto knows and rates. However Ricciuto - champion as he is - has a limited football experience himself. Played at one club. Never coached, never a manager, never involved in running a club at any level, never lived outside SA. Who is he measuring Burton against? No one because he doesn't know others intimately.

No one in a decision making position at the club has deep, wide knowledge of the AFL industry or any track record of being involved in a successful football program.

The non-football stuff Fagan has been fine.
This is the issue with the club - we are too insular, and not good at listening to external inputs. I don't see a culture of growth or being uncomfortable as Phil Walsh put it.

Did we ask Jason Dunstall to be on the board?

Good:
Dan Jackson - good appointment resume wise. Qualified, well travelled, knows footy.
Nicks - I like this appointment
Francou - had the right resume, but we F'ed that up

Comfortable:

Hart - 5 years at collingwood, 20 years at AFC
Reilly - has been in the same environment for 20 years
Wright - 3 years at Carlton (poor guy), 9 at AFC
Burton - 6 years at Bris, 15 years at AFC
Roo - refer Reilly
Clarke - 10 years at Bris/Saints, 20 years at AFC

He had to completely re-negotiate the Adelaide Oval deal since the one Trigg signed off on was so s**t.

Would he know that Burton is poor in his fitness role and even worse at managing a football department? He wouldn't have ever heard of him until coming here.

So he has to trust those around him who do know and defer to their judgement. Straight away that weakens his role and influence. He's steering the ship in title only but not in practicality.

We're instantly only as good as who Ricciuto knows and rates. However Ricciuto - champion as he is - has a limited football experience himself. Played at one club. Never coached, never a manager, never involved in running a club at any level, never lived outside SA. Who is he measuring Burton against? No one because he doesn't know others intimately.

No one in a decision making position at the club has deep, wide knowledge of the AFL industry or any track record of being involved in a successful football program.

The non-football stuff Fagan has been fine.

I agree with all that but media communication is his responsibility. He didn't engineer the camp but managed the response which really made it worse. You could say the media unfairly targeted the club but that's part of his role to manage.

The non-football stuff he's been killing it

It remains to be seen whether the other business ventures are actually contributing cash flows into the business. Plus I’ve only ever heard weasel words around resourcing of footy ops. Never a clear statement that we spend up to both full caps.

What a disappointment Fagan has been
Not all his fault as we are led by a lame duck Chairman who has singlehandedly destroyed the club but nevertheless he was been god awful. Time to resign Andrew along with your mate Chappy.
Chappy and Roo are the bigger issues currently. They both tried to stonewall Fagan while he attempted to get any sort of review off the ground. It wasn't until Roo put his foot in his mouth and the huge outrage that followed that they both knew they couldn't hold it back any longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chappy and Roo are the bigger issues currently. They both tried to stonewall Fagan while he attempted to get any sort of review off the ground. It wasn't until Roo put his foot in his mouth and the huge outrage that followed that they both knew they couldn't hold it back any longer.

Agree 150% that this is the major issue at the club.

I agree with all that but media communication is his responsibility. He didn't engineer the camp but managed the response which really made it worse. You could say the media unfairly targeted the club but that's part of his role to manage.
That's true

Ability to manage PR disasters really needs to be the #1 characteristic we look for!

..where? because they sure weren't spending it on quality coaches or fitness staff

It’s either horrendously mismanaged or not being spent. That Fagan can speak so clearly to a poster but uses non-direct terminology when speaking publicly on footy cap spending speaks volumes to me. And again, if we are spending it, where’s it going. We’ve clearly the worst and cheapest coaching group in the league. And by a fair margin.

Agree Roo should not be allowed anywhere near any part of our club in a decision making capacity. He was a great onfield performer but he has proven time and again that he is a complete idiot. Totally agree that Chappy is the major problem along with Roo. But i have been disappointed in Fagan. If your going to clean the club out, do it completely. Would get rid of Chapman, Roo, Fagan Hart, Hass, Reid. The sad part is that some on this board could do a better job of running the club.

Agree Roo should not be allowed anywhere near any part of our club in a decision making capacity. He was a great onfield performer but he has proven time and again that he is a complete idiot. Totally agree that Chappy is the major problem along with Roo. But i have been disappointed in Fagan. If your going to clean the club out, do it completely. Would get rid of Chapman, Roo, Fagan Hart, Hass, Reid. The sad part is that some on this board could do a better job of running the club.
I'm not sure about this.

Yes someone could probably sack all those people if given unfettered authority (the CEO get rid of the Chairman and other board members? Via what mechanism? Threats to walk? They'd let him go!) No guarantee they could or would appoint anyone better (I recall this board was big on Neeld....)

That doesn't excuse him - it condemns him, even more.

Most of us here new Burton was going to be a massive failure - all you had to do was look at his performance in his previous role, and it was bloody obvious. That doesn't even acknowledge the fact that he should've spoken with multiple people in an around the industry, and Brisbane specifically, and it would've been even more clear that Burton was a disaster.

Lack of knowledge doesn't give you a free pass from doing your job - especially if that knowledge is available, but you choose not to inform yourself.

Business nous would know not to bring in a technology you can't effectively utilize.

Business nous would know you don't put unqualified people in senior leadership positions.

Business nous would know you hold people accountable for their actions.

Business nous would mean you understand who your most valuable employees are (the players) and look after them.

Business nous would be able to handle your own business without having to bring in external auditors to highlight where you f’ed up.

Business nous would mean you don't invest in side businesses that aren't profitable and have no viable path to being profitable in the foreseeable future.

So where exactly is all this nous on display?

I'm with you mate.

I generally like Fagan, but the buck has to stop somewhere - and the litany of issues we've had under his leadership are way more than anybody should be able to survive.

The only reason he is still at the footy club is because we have an even bigger *up in the only real position senior to him - Chapman can't hold Fagan accountable, because he is even more accountable.

That doesn't excuse him - it condemns him, even more.

Most of us here new Burton was going to be a massive failure - all you had to do was look at his performance in his previous role, and it was bloody obvious. That doesn't even acknowledge the fact that he should've spoken with multiple people in an around the industry, and Brisbane specifically, and it would've been even more clear that Burton was a disaster.

Lack of knowledge doesn't give you a free pass from doing your job - especially if that knowledge is available, but you choose not to inform yourself.

I'm with you mate.

I generally like Fagan, but the buck has to stop somewhere - and the litany of issues we've had under his leadership are way more than anybody should be able to survive.

The only reason he is still at the footy club is because we have an even bigger fu**up in the only real position senior to him - Chapman can't hold Fagan accountable, because he is even more accountable.
He can only do what he can do.

Our issue was appointing a non-football CEO when there was minimal football expertise within the club.

If he'd come into a club with a few Dunstalls, Balmes or whoever in various football roles or on the board then he'd be fine.

We needed a footy head.

Has he significantly changed the financial trajectory we are on? not really.

errr... no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back