New CEO, New List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

James Clement returns to Fremantle Dockers as board member
Headshot of Mark Duffield

Mark DuffieldThe West Australian
Friday, 8 November 2019 4:08PM
Mark Duffield

James Clement in action for the Dockers in 1999.
James Clement in action for the Dockers in 1999. Credit: Iain Gillespie

After speculation that he might be a candidate for Fremantle’s chief executive role, former Docker James Clement has agreed to join the club – but as a member of the club’s board.
Clement will take the place of another former player Stephen O’Reilly, who steps down after 10 years service. O’Reilly’s departure was predicted by some after his son Dillon was drafted by the Dockers mid-season.
Clement played a combined 230 games for Fremantle and Collingwood between 1996 and 2007 and is the CEO of Sea Harvest Australia.
It was expected that he would be a target for the CEO’s role which was eventually filled by Simon Garlick after the removal of Steve Rosich at the time of coach Ross Lyon’s sacking in August.
MORE FOOTY: Fyfe kicks a different kind of goal in LA
Clement holds a science degree from Curtin University, an MBA from La Trobe University, is deputy chairman of the WA Fishing Industry Council and chairman of its finance and risk management committee.
James’ experience in business and finance combined with his governance expertise and football knowledge, in particular, make him a welcome addition to our board of directors
Dale Alcock
He will start his two-year term on the board on 1 December, replacing O’Reilly, who is retiring.
President Dale Alcock said it was important to boost the board’s football expertise after the departure of O’Reilly.
“Following Peter Bell’s transition from the club’s board to its executive team and Stephen O’Reilly’s retirement, it was agreed that we needed to replenish the board’s depth of football expertise, and potential candidates were considered on that basis,” he said.
“James’ experience in business and finance combined with his governance expertise and football knowledge, in particular, make him a welcome addition to our board of directors.”
Clement (right) earlier this year.
Clement (right) earlier this year. Credit: John Koh
Fremantle’s board and its relationship with fans is to undergo a constitutional overhaul.
The club will shift from its long-established practice of having two member-elected board members, bringing it into line with West Coast’s method of having board members chosen by the club and approved by the WA Football Commission.
The job of keeping in touch with the mood and feelings of the supporter base is expected to be carried out by a soon to be established liaison group made up of about 20 people who represent a cross section of Fremantle supporters.
O’Reilly’s departure ends 10 years on the board. Prior to that he had been a foundation member of the Dockers playing list after being recruited from Geelong, who he had played for in the 1994 grand final against West Coast.
He played 98 games for the Dockers between 1995 and 1999. He is a senior manager in accounting firm KPMG’s Perth branch and remains an active member of the Dockers past players group and the key club coterie group the AJ Diamond Club.

I really think we should be in direct communication with the WAFC.

If we have to Wine and dine so be it.

Maybe, an Dale Alcock might help as well.
Oh I don't think there is any doubt that the FFC are in touch with the WAFC.After all the WAFC run the two WA clubs.Just one side gets more than the other from them.
Always reckon we are like the bastard child.Tne AFL really didn't want us, the WAFC din't want us, the WAFL didn't want us.None of them wanted us.
The AFL allowed us in to dimish the strength of the Yellas.The WAFC didn't want us to take anything from the Yellas.The WAFL didn't want us because we would take more WAFL players.

James Clement is now the CEO of Vysarn - a publicly listed holding company of Pentium Hydro Pty Ltd, a dedicated hydrogeological and dewatering business. It's only about a $18m company but clearly James is in demand.

Heard on 3AW that Carlton want our head recruiter David Walls to replace SOS.

This would be a huge loss to Freo. David has worked under Brad Lloyd at Freo so they have a relationship. Also David Walls’ dad Robert is Carlton legend.

Walls is contracted but a list manager position would be a promotion so I don’t know. Why don’t we just give him the list manager job at Freo????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from the big kahuna.
I'm impressed with Garlic's approach and how he's on the same page with JLo. "We agree a lot on critical elements you want the CEO and coach to be aligned on - the environment we create, the culture we want to build."

"2019 won't be a standout year for us on a one off financial performance."

"We have looked at our injuries very closely." ... "We do need a bit of luck as all teams do but there is constant review and recommendations and changes are made at the end of every season."

"We are in good shape from the soft cap point of view. ... in conjunction with the AFL it looks like our soft cap isn't going to be affected in any way."

"I've had numerous discussions with Peel. We are in a good position with them. We are integrated with them very strongly. We need to get he balance right to make sure we get everything out of it we can for our program but that also Peel get as much benefit as they can out of it. The alignments I have seen fail before have failed because communication has broken down. I've had some great discussions with (Peel Chief Executive) John Ditchburn to make sure we keep communications open. We have both committed to be really open about where we want to take our program and where they want to take theirs. At the moment the focus is making it work in 2020 and then we will both work out where it goes from there."

I'm impressed with Garlic's approach and how he's on the same page with JLo. "We agree a lot on critical elements you want the CEO and coach to be aligned on - the environment we create, the culture we want to build."

"2019 won't be a standout year for us on a one off financial performance."

"We have looked at our injuries very closely." ... "We do need a bit of luck as all teams do but there is constant review and recommendations and changes are made at the end of every season."

"We are in good shape from the soft cap point of view. ... in conjunction with the AFL it looks like our soft cap isn't going to be affected in any way."

"I've had numerous discussions with Peel. We are in a good position with them. We are integrated with them very strongly. We need to get he balance right to make sure we get everything out of it we can for our program but that also Peel get as much benefit as they can out of it. The alignments I have seen fail before have failed because communication has broken down. I've had some great discussions with (Peel Chief Executive) John Ditchburn to make sure we keep communications open. We have both committed to be really open about where we want to take our program and where they want to take theirs. At the moment the focus is making it work in 2020 and then we will both work out where it goes from there."
I really like Garlic listening to Peel and be open to ensure The Thunder are a partner.

Never good to dictate and making efforts to get a win win is what we all want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like Garlic listening to Peel and be open to ensure The Thunder are a partner.

Never good to dictate and making efforts to get a win win is what we all want.

It's night and day between Rosich/Ross and Garlick/JLo.

The commonsense kind of stuff like your comment seemed to be stuff that the previous mob just didn't do.

Apparently Ross very rarely popped his head in at Peel in a supportive way while JLo has changed that. Garlick seems the same.

It's night and day between Rosich/Ross and Garlick/JLo.

The commonsense kind of stuff like your comment seemed to be stuff that the previous mob just didn't do.

Apparently Ross very rarely popped his head in at Peel in a supportive way while JLo has changed that. Garlick seems the same.

Well they missed out on Aaron Naughton who was playing under their noses and got dropped for the WAFL GF to play so AFL hacks that they were just going to delist anyway. No way Naughton would consider coming to Freo after the way he was treated.

Yeah but i'd rather have our own team in the WAFL
You want a team made up of amateur players? With our injury record if we had our own team under the same rules as WC we would have around 10 -12 AFL listed players and 10/12 amateur players each week.

If there can be more support for Peel with the use of Freo training facilities once a week, and co-ordination with Peel players included in some training's (as has been described in last training session) access and interest in all Peel players from our development (and head) coaches, access to sports science then the present arrangement should work for both teams.

You want a team made up of amateur players? With our injury record if we had our own team under the same rules as WC we would have around 10 -12 AFL listed players and 10/12 amateur players each week.

If there can be more support for Peel with the use of Freo training facilities once a week, and co-ordination with Peel players included in some training's (as has been described in last training session) access and interest in all Peel players from our development (and head) coaches, access to sports science then the present arrangement should work for both teams.
West coast seem to be able to do it perfectly fine. To not do it because you are worried about injurries is not a good enough reason its a "what if" situation imo.

West coast seem to be able to do it perfectly fine. To not do it because you are worried about injurries is not a good enough reason its a "what if" situation imo.
I didn't quote a "what if" situation. WC did it "perfectly fine" as you say, because in many games and most finals they only had 3 top up amateur players.

They had very few injuries compared to us and when they had more than usual injuries and had to have 7 amateurs for a number of games they drifted to the bottom of the WAFL ladder.

This compares to our best situation with injuries and having maybe 12 or 14 AFL Fremantle listed players playing. In the current situation we have 12 on the rehab or injury list so if a stand alone team was playing now it would need 8 - 10 amateur players to make up the numbers.

These amateurs using the same rules WC, have would not be allowed to train with the AFL team during the season (except for a captains run if they were chosen that week) and would train together in their small group once a week and with their amateur club for the other session. They play with their amateur side if not weren't picked for the WAFL side.

What Garlick has said in his interview makes much more sense until maybe there is a National Reserves comp and all players will be paid.

I'm glad there is more communication and integration with Peel happening already and hope to see more sharing or resources like facilitates and coaches with Peel this year.

I didn't quote a "what if" situation. WC did it "perfectly fine" as you say, because in many games and most finals they only had 3 top up amateur players.

They had very few injuries compared to us and when they had more than usual injuries and had to have 7 amateurs for a number of games they drifted to the bottom of the WAFL ladder.

This compares to our best situation with injuries and having maybe 12 or 14 AFL Fremantle listed players playing. In the current situation we have 12 on the rehab or injury list so if a stand alone team was playing now it would need 8 - 10 amateur players to make up the numbers.

These amateurs using the same rules WC, have would not be allowed to train with the AFL team during the season (except for a captains run if they were chosen that week) and would train together in their small group once a week and with their amateur club for the other session. They play with their amateur side if not weren't picked for the WAFL side.

What Garlick has said in his interview makes much more sense until maybe there is a National Reserves comp and all players will be paid.

I'm glad there is more communication and integration with Peel happening already and hope to see more sharing or resources like facilitates and coaches with Peel this year.

Such a shame that East and South Freo haven't been made to merge back into Fremantle WAFL. Having them as our aligned team would and would've been the best scenario.

...running for cover!

Well they missed out on Aaron Naughton who was playing under their noses and got dropped for the WAFL GF to play so AFL hacks that they were just going to delist anyway. No way Naughton would consider coming to Freo after the way he was treated.

We didn't really have the pick to get him to be fair ….apart from Salim who would have ….I think the rest of us were wanting mids with the 2 picks in top 5.

Walls promoted to the ‘Head of Player Personnel’, a role that ‘oversees both player acquisition and retention’. List Manager role no longer exists and as such Micallef has left the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back