News New CEO: Tim Silvers

How do you feel about the appointment?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fairly wild swing there mate - key part of Hawthorn admin for a number of years. Hasn't done much wrong here.

It’s not a difficult ship to steer. How have we improved since Fraudan? The group following Burton et al inherited the lowest of benchmarks. But I am interested to hear exactly what Silvers has done that has impressed you.

Come on mate you gotta ask, our two collingwood games have been right up there with the best games off the season, usually the showdowns are aswell.
We are a watchable team now.

To us we are, but nobody else cares about that. Neutrals tune into games between contenders, watchability is directly correlated to meaningfulness. We won’t get, and nor do we deserve, prime time games until we’re genuinely contending. Spoon, 15, 14, 12. We’ve been smashing the AFL over Carlton’s fixturing the last few years with a similar record. But now we think we deserve it because of a couple of close losses?

Come on mate you gotta ask, our two collingwood games have been right up there with the best games off the season, usually the showdowns are aswell.
We are a watchable team now.
I agree, we have had some high quality games this year that would have been great viewing for neutral supporters. The games against Brisbane and Melbourne were also good games. As you said we are now a watchable team (most of the time) and we should start getting more prime time games next year, and less suburban grounds.

Leading into this year your argument has merit

But not for next year, even acknowledging we are 12th

Should we expect none of those trips? Unfortunately no. Do we deserve the spread of this year? Hell no

We’re one of the teams the media have absolutely been positive about as an up and comer, exciting to watch, even wasted season as anything could have happened.

We should be considered amongst the prime time teams next year.

Put it this way- if we were Carlton we would be banking on 10 Friday nights next year after a season that shows this promise.

Our slots should be a bit better, but we’re still in the fight for another bottom 6 finish. Yes we’ve improved since our spoon, but if it was any other club saying this with our last 5 years, you’d all be laughing at their stupidity.

I agree, we have had some high quality games this year that would have been great viewing for neutral supporters. The games against Brisbane and Melbourne were also good games. As you said we are now a watchable team (most of the time) and we should start getting more prime time games next year, and less suburban grounds.

Would have been great viewing, no doubt. Had they tuned in. Neutrals don’t tune in to watch 1 v 12. AFL can’t schedule games in hindsight, to get premium slots you need to be a certain draw card. We’re not that yet.

To us we are, but nobody else cares about that. Neutrals tune into games between contenders, watchability is directly correlated to meaningfulness. We won’t get, and nor do we deserve, prime time games until we’re genuinely contending. Spoon, 15, 14, 12. We’ve been smashing the AFL over Carlton’s fixturing the last few years with a similar record. But now we think we deserve it because of a couple of close losses?
Nah you only had to listen to the Vic’s in the media post the Carlton game, they were loving us and our style.
We haven’t been able to sustain it but we are highly watchable.

Nah you only had to listen to the Vic’s in the media post the Carlton game, they were loving us and our style.
We haven’t been able to sustain it but we are highly watchable.

Sure, it’s great to watch when you’ve tuned in. Scheduling is determined by why people will watch, not what they’ll see when they do. Nobody is sitting at home choosing to watch our dead rubber today over a match that matters because we’re ‘good to watch’ according to people paid to watch that have to watch. Ask them how Sloane’s year has been and you’ll realise they don’t watch us unless we’re on their fixture.

I'm more interested to know why you're so anti.

Recently, the comments on Sloane’s season, unrealistic expectations on fixturing. In general, just another mediocre operator gifted a Ferrari that will deliver Camry performance. And to reiterate, another employee elevated to their highest office at our club, so training on the job.

But you think he’s brilliant, so you must have reasons that set him apart.

Our fixture this year was a disgrace, in terms of playing the top sides twice, awful timeslots and having to play at dogshit venues.

He absolutely needs to be stronger with the AFL in this regard.

Recently, the comments on Sloane’s season, unrealistic expectations on fixturing. In general, just another mediocre operator gifted a Ferrari that will deliver Camry performance. And to reiterate, another employee elevated to their highest office at our club, so training on the job.

I don’t see how it’s unrealistic to ask not to go to all corners of the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would much rather a CEO that works like a duck on water.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Leading into this year your argument has merit

But not for next year, even acknowledging we are 12th

Should we expect none of those trips? Unfortunately no. Do we deserve the spread of this year? Hell no

We’re one of the teams the media have absolutely been positive about as an up and comer, exciting to watch, even wasted season as anything could have happened.

We should be considered amongst the prime time teams next year.

Put it this way- if we were Carlton we would be banking on 10 Friday nights next year after a season that shows this promise.
That's the worst thing about Carlton being on a hot streak. More Carlton on TV next year.

Our fixture this year was a disgrace, in terms of playing the top sides twice, awful timeslots and having to play at dogshit venues.

He absolutely needs to be stronger with the AFL in this regard.

Like Chappy was when Vlad dissed us over not cooperating like Essendon did. Our schedule reflected where we sit on the level of interest ladder. It’s great to push the AFL at every opportunity, but sometimes the opportunity doesn’t exist and you’re stupid for doing so. Like Chappy did when Vlad dissed us.

There’s an argument for a better outcome next year based upon our trendline, but after our last 3 years snd the camp interest factor dying, we got what we deserved. Seriously, spoon, 15, 14, what do people expect.

On principle, I don’t agree with non VIC sides playing in Tassie or vic regional venues at all. But seeing it happens, it’s us that made ourselves a prime candidate for that treatment.

I would much rather a CEO that works like a duck on water.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I want a CEO that delivers an elite footballing department. The income of the club is largely fixed, it’s what we spend it on that matters. Not seeing anything impressive yet, although I think Burns was a good get in terms of league credentials. Otherwise, we’re back in the Trigg days where credit is given because we still exist, lights are on and we’re able to pay our bills. Less the monumental cockups and overt arrogance of course.

We don’t play in Tassie or Ballarat as often yet we’ve got more wins there in the last 3 years than Melbourne.
Well yes we played a bottom 4 side in Tassie and played 2 top 4 teams in Melbourne and Collingwood at the G, it’s to be expected, essendon are also world beaters at Marvel.

You can’t use results this year as criticism for the schedule created last year.
I’m not I’m using them as a reason why we have more wins there than Melbourne.
No one is suggesting we didn’t deserve the schedule we’ve had, but we do deserve to start getting a better one.
And you’re better to ask early not late.

I’m not I’m using them as a reason why we have more wins there than Melbourne.

This year. We beat finals bound dogs in Ballarat a year or so ago. Our best away win for ages. Playing the non-traditional home grounds is beneficial to winning chances because the oppo aren’t at their genuine home ground. I’d prefer we only play at the G or Marvel, but it’s pretty obvious why we got SFA games there this year. The AFL doesn’t schedule by accident, it’s all about $ and visual aspect of the product. Which is why our Melbourne games were against high drawing opponents, in terms of supporter base and/or expected ladder position. The AFL has no interest in seeing us against low drawing sides at big stadiums. If we’re going well it pushes the call in a favourable direction, but we haven’t been.

Don't put words in my mouth

Back