News New CEO: Tim Silvers

How do you feel about the appointment?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My understanding is he applied for CEO at the Hawks, lost to Gaudy; she was gone in five months, board replaced her with someone else, he took it on the chin and kept plugging away.

Again, I don’t see that as a tick for him. They clearly didn’t want him, and he just took it

but I keep thinking maybe we (the club and him) are a good match.

after all the partying, late nights, torrid but short lived affairs, perhaps we need to settle down with a solid, nice guy

The naysayers have been proven right and vindicated repeatedly.

This looks like yet another positive and strong appointment - and funnily enough, the overwhelming response is positive.
As was the response to Fagan's appointment .....he was appluaded for being an outsider, and strangely enough had overseen on-field success

When looking at reasons for not achieving consecutive premierships ....the average fan seeks a scapegoat; President, CEO, or Coaches .....albeit most have no idea about those day to day roles

This is the most significant appointment out of any in the last 18 months. The CEO drives the whole lot. Good luck to Silvers.

So since the Dunstall review our key appointments have been:

3x Hawthorn (Silvers, Burns, Bello)
1x West Coast (Van Berlo)
1x Geelong (Rahilly)
1x GWS (Nicks)
1x Richmond (Jackson)
1x Lead SA Power Broker (Olsen)

The club can't be accused of avoiding a cleanout.
So do you think we sought a reference from Dunstall for Silvers ?

Given Dunstall was a very highly regarded CEO temporarily, I actually value his judgement in this area

Given how Olsen talked, it seems we valued his experience in helping the Hawks set up their new facilities too.

I imagine that and removing debt would have been big things on who we gravitated towards for the role.

Given how Olsen talked, it seems we valued his experience in helping the Hawks set up their new facilities too.

I imagine that and removing debt would have been big things on who we gravitated towards for the role.
But this was Faagan's strength .....wasn't the appointment about maintaining the Commercial strength, but adding a more authentic Footy person ?

But this was Faagan's strength .....wasn't the appointment about maintaining the Commercial strength, but adding a more authentic Footy person ?
I think it's more than just maintaining commercial strength, but a total realignment of how the club is to make money given most of Fagan's attempts at that seemed to revolve around expanding into non-football related areas like media production, e-sports and baseball. I think Fagan's resume in that area is somewhat inflated by renegotiating weak deals that Trigg signed with the SMA for example, with our negotiating power strengthened because we'd hit a time in 2015 where our crowds exploded from the previous levels they had been under Sanderson.

I think it's more than just maintaining commercial strength, but a total realignment of how the club is to make money given most of Fagan's attempts at that seemed to revolve around expanding into non-football related areas like media production, e-sports and baseball. I think Fagan's resume in that area is somewhat inflated by renegotiating weak deals that Trigg signed with the SMA for example, with our negotiating power strengthened because we'd hit a time in 2015 where our crowds exploded from the previous levels they had been under Sanderson.
I did admire Fagans preparedness to expand the Membership base outside of Sth Aust .....previously we patted ourselves on the back for 50K Memberships in Sth Aust, because of the capacity of Football Park

Fagan thought more broadly about expanding Memberships across Australia .....that's a :whitecheck:

I did admire Fagans preparedness to expand the Membership base outside of Sth Aust .....previously we patted ourselves on the back for 50K Memberships in Sth Aust, because of the capacity of Football Park

Fagan thought more broadly about expanding Memberships across Australia .....that's a :whitecheck:
Oh, for sure, one of Trigg's bigger weaknesses I thought was he was happy as long as we were better than Port, and given the state of them at the time it would have taken an absolute moron not to be able to do that. Fagan at least set his sights higher than that. Now whether they were able to successfully monetize the 500,000 members or whatever number they came up with because we had an online membership is not something i'm sure of.

Oh, for sure, one of Trigg's bigger weaknesses I thought was he was happy as long as we were better than Port, and given the state of them at the time it would have taken an absolute moron not to be able to do that. Fagan at least set his sights higher than that. Now whether they were able to successfully monetize the 500,000 members or whatever number they came up with because we had an online membership is not something i'm sure of.
Interesting that not one journalist asked Silvers about his thoughts on non football based revenue streams ? ......which may I say Clubs have been doing for 30-40 years .....Hotels & Pokies

Interesting that not one journalist asked Silvers about his thoughts on non football based revenue streams ? ......which may I say Clubs have been doing for 30-40 years .....Hotels & Pokies
That sort of thing probably worked back in the day in a suburban footy environment, but seems most clubs are moving away from that model and selling off their pokies. Pies, Dogs, Cats have all sold off their venues in the last 5 years, Melbourne are supposed to be getting out of theirs in 2022 as well. There's more clubs without venues and pokies than with it nowadays.

Fagan was a good, not great CEO.

Made a GF under his tenure
He left us in a position where post COVID we can afford to move to a new HQ.

CEOs main job is to provide funds for the Footy Department to be able to win a flag. Leading up to 2017 that is a big tick.

The wheels did fall off though after he delegated too much authority to Roo. Which lead to Burton's failings. Cost is 18 and 19.

7 seasons, 3 bad ones. He was good.

Better than the much celebrated Keith Thomas.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Has any club been better at communicating, engaging with and prioritising supporters than Hawthorn?

no doubt Tim had literally nothing to do with any of this, but he has been immersed in the culture that values this. He knows that it’s important.
Hawthorn though have had decades of history of being the "Family" Club .....they were smart enough to foster that positioning

Silvers will find the AFC a stark contrast to what he's used to ......is he astute enough to manage a transition to a more fan friendly club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On reflection, I think Silvers is a pretty uninspiring selection. Nothing particularly stands out in his background, and being at the one club for 17 years is not the sign of an ambitious, hungry executive.

BUT...

maybe that’s just what we need. A lower profile guy, a footy guy, to just do the damn job.

after all the ego driven turmoil of the last decade, just doing the damn job might be a blessed relief.

and say what you like about the ‘family club’ they never forgot who they were, where they came from, and what mattered. Supporters aren’t an afterthought.

and having seen first hand our troubles, it’s hard to believe Dunstall’s thoughts weren’t sought, and thumbs up received about Silvers.

Please spare me from the ambitious, hungry types!

Welcome aboard Tim

This appoint further demonstrates the reset of the AFC agenda to a Footy First Agenda

There is no doubt that under the Chapman-Fagan regime we lost sight that we are a footy club first and foremost

In John Olsen's first 5 months he has completely reset the footy first agenda and Tim's appoint will further support and drive this new beginning

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Except that we've seen the same behaviour, from the same posters, regardless of whether we were finishing minor premiers or wooden spooners.

personally, this continuity is exactly what keeps me coming back against my better judgement... it's like watching neighbours year after year to check in and see what karl and susan are up to... it's home and away with uglier but weirdly more eloquent people...

Deaneus! invariably starts things off with a rambling and mildly entertaining attempt at irreverence, painfully and obviously constructed with enough fancy words that we think wow he's intelligent AND funny but not so many that we think gee he likes the sound of his own voice. which he does.

Scorpus brings the mood immediately down with a bitingly honest reminder of our inherent and everlasting incompetence

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? resurrects things with an on-point Simpsons meme or carefully constructed one-liner / witty observation that he's posting here purely as a testing ground to see if it makes the cut for his bigger and better ramblings elsewhere

Punchy Bassett grumblingly agrees things are looking OK with but always with some big grumpy caveat

hey shorty says something sarcastic and businessy because he's a sarcastic businessman that knows heaps about sarcasm and business and also sometimes football

Vader uses far too many words to say far too little about whatever the topic was three pages ago

DJ75 pops up with a punchy one liner hinting that he KNOWS things, important things, and people, important people

Sanders accuses someone of being Alex and they always are

i can't tag FROGGY and i don't know why but i will say that his first quips are often funny but rarely the second or fifteenth

GrommoT says a thing but also it may have been Golumless as everyone forgets they're two different posters

mistylake says something mildly offensive to women and/or gen z

Slippery Pete says something overtly offensive to both women and gen z but it's hilarious so they don't mind too much

Vhaluus opines as if every single thread is Boomers vs Kids these days but since i generally tend to agree with his worldview i welcome his presence in my echochamber

Murray2503 might try and join in but nobody knows or cares because they have him on ignore

jenny61_99 tells everyone they should play nicely

feenix67 has given up on life so doesn't say anything

skam85 takes up the vacuum of defender-of-free-speech-and-saying-mean-things-is-ok-especially-when-its-funny vacated by feenix67

Coopers sticks his head up and says something genuinely humorous and / or insightful and it always surprises me because i expect much less of him for some unknown reason

Bearded Clam is drunk

so is Runnin Blue

mattymac says something funny then disappears for five weeks always leaving us wanting more, MORE

and then Godallblighty pipes up four days later with an intelligent, insightful, concise encapsulation of the issue at hand and the rest of us slink back to our daytime holes wishing we were smarter and doing more with our lives

personally, this continuity is exactly what keeps me coming back against my better judgement... it's like watching neighbours year after year to check in and see what karl and susan are up to... it's home and away with uglier but weirdly more eloquent people...

Deaneus! invariably starts things off with a rambling and mildly entertaining attempt at irreverence, painfully and obviously constructed with enough fancy words that we think wow he's intelligent AND funny but not so many that we think gee he likes the sound of his own voice. which he does.

Scorpus brings the mood immediately down with a bitingly honest reminder of our inherent and everlasting incompetence

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? resurrects things with an on-point Simpsons meme or carefully constructed one-liner / witty observation that he's posting here purely as a testing ground to see if it makes the cut for his bigger and better ramblings elsewhere

Punchy Bassett grumblingly agrees things are looking OK with but always with some big grumpy caveat

hey shorty says something sarcastic and businessy because he's a sarcastic businessman that knows heaps about sarcasm and business and also sometimes football

Vader uses far too many words to say far too little about whatever the topic was three pages ago

DJ75 pops up with a punchy one liner hinting that he KNOWS things, important things, and people, important people

i can't tag FROGGY and i don't know why but i will say that his first quips are often funny but rarely the second or fifteenth

GrommoT says a thing but also it may have been Golumless as everyone forgets they're two different posters

Slippery Pete says something overtly offensive to both women and gen z but it's hilarious so they don't mind too much

Vhaluus opines as if every single thread is Boomers vs Kids these days but since i generally tend to agree with his worldview i welcome his presence in my echochamber

Murray2503 might try and join in but nobody knows or cares because they have him on ignore

skam85 takes up the vacuum of defender-of-free-speech-and-saying-mean-things-is-ok-especially-when-its-funny vacated by feenix67

Coopers sticks his head up and says something genuinely humorous and / or insightful and it always surprises me because i expect much less of him for some unknown reason

Bearded Clam is drunk

so is Runnin Blue

mattymac says something funny then disappears for five weeks always leaving us wanting more, MORE

and then Godallblighty pipes up four days later with an intelligent, insightful, concise encapsulation of the issue at hand and the rest of us slink back to our daytime holes wishing we were smarter and doing more with our lives
Fair summary :D

Bearded Clam is drunk

so is Runnin Blue

POTY

Deaneus! invariably starts things off with a rambling and mildly entertaining attempt at irreverence, painfully and obviously constructed with enough fancy words that we think wow he's intelligent AND funny but not so many that we think gee he likes the sound of his own voice. which he does.”

I don’t know what to say... Your accuracy is surpassed only by your kindness.

Bearded Clam is drunk

so is Runnin Blue

I don't know whether to feel personally attacked, or flattered to be compared to GrommoT.

So all I'm going to do is turn this into an SFA recruitment pitch. Come to the East Side Hawks, GrommoT, we need two of me.

Last edited:

Bearded Clam is drunk

so is Runnin Blue

Solid gold mate.

Bearded Clam is drunk

so is Runnin Blue

giphy%20(6).gif

Back