Strategy New CEO - Welcome aboard Jennifer Watt - Starts Jan 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

‘Twenty years later she has become the second female to become an AFL chief executive and part of a historic double act at North Melbourne with president Dr Sonja Hood.

The girl power dynamic at Arden St is a “perfect match” according to Watt who will start her new gig in January’.

Sounds alright to me. Yet another North first moment.
Gets bonus points for who it will irrationally piss off.

North Melbourne looks set to keep highly-respected administrator Peter Jackson at the club in another major boost for its off-field team.
Jackson joined the Kangaroos several months ago to help find the club’s new chief executive, Jennifer Watt, and assist president Sonja Hood in the bid to secure premiership mastermind Alastair Clarkson as new coach.
While it was initially viewed as likely a short-term role, News Corp can reveal the former Essendon and Melbourne chief executive is interested in staying at the club.
Hood, Watt and Jackson have been in talks about a permanent position heading into the 2023 season.
It would be another coup for North as Jackson, who is one of the most experienced senior club executives in the game, could stay to help mentor Watt who beat Geelong football boss Simon Lloyd for the CEO job this week.
Jackson has almost 30 years of experience in the AFL and would provide an outstanding sounding board for Watt as the club moves into a new era under Clarkson.

- Herald Sun

Last edited:
North Melbourne looks set to keep highly-respected administrator Peter Jackson at the club in another major boost for its off-field team.
Jackson joined the Kangaroos several months ago to help find the club’s new chief executive, Jennifer Watt, and assist president Sonja Hood in the bid to secure premiership mastermind Alastair Clarkson as new coach.
While it was initially viewed as likely a short-term role, News Corp can reveal the former Essendon and Melbourne chief executive is interested in staying at the club.
Hood, Watt and Jackson have been in talks about a permanent position heading into the 2023 season.
It would be another coup for North as Jackson, who is one of the most experienced senior club executives in the game, could stay to help mentor Watt who beat Geelong football boss Simon Lloyd for the CEO job this week.
Jackson has almost 30 years of experience in the AFL and would provide an outstanding sounding board for Watt as the club moves into a new era under Clarkson.

- Herald Sun

Is there anything Sonja cannot do?!

- Herald Sun

Holy Moley.

- Herald Sun

holy shit GIF

Good news - followed by bad news of Tassie for a further 3 years.
I don’t see another 3 years in Tasmania as a bad thing, we can’t just rip the bandaid off and expect to magically find that money somewhere else. We now have 3 years to work out how to replace that money and the Spirit of Tasmania sponsorship and we’ve never been in a better position on field to do it even though we finished last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome image.

I'm just glad the board didn't cheap out on finding a CEO.

There was no obvious candidate to headhunt and it's clear they conducted a really, really thorough process.

It would have been easy to take shortcuts given the general upheaval and all the hirings that have needed to take place but they didn't do that.

What a powerhouse offield team we now have assembled, to guide North back to the top with names like Viney, Clarkson, Ratten, Sonja, Jen Watt and to round it all off, Peter Jackson to remain at the club. Now all that is left is for the onfield to follow suit and even with that, we are bit by bit on our way.

Thats the thing, we are finally not wondering aimlessly, crossing our fingers and toes that we somehow have everything fall in place. Things were previously for the most part done with good intentions but we were so far off it, especially on the football side of things and trying to be a top 4 team.

We now have purpose and a sense of direction, a clear understanding, we know what we want and how to get there. The foundation and those real key pillars of success that Clarkson refers to that are critical to a club, we now have in place, there are no short cuts being taken.

Though we must also have an understanding that despite the fact things are looking good, its going to be a bumpy road aswell. We need a bit of patience (I know, its bigfooty) when things get rough. It's not an automatic upward trajectory even with the mastermind Alastair Clarkson at the helm. So please let's be mindfull of that and not expect miracles because there most definitely will be slip-ups in game especially in this first year.

It's time for this team on and off the field to build and stamp it's own legacy and create history and new memories, not always having to just recall the last glory days of the 90's. As legendary and great as Ron Joseph, Greg Miller and Ron Casey were in the past, administrators of that type, we need the new wave to forge their own path to success and lead from the front and they will. Sonja being a great example and Jennifer Watt's appointment feels right because of her credentials. We now have qualified people in the correct roles.

This is a journey we are on and one we all can't wait to be a part of because without a doubt something special is happening at North. Especially with Will Phill back next season and not to mention Cunnington. That for me is another massive win already heading into next season. Finally things feel like they are on the improve club wide after so much turmoil these last few years.
Sorry guys, i got carried away posting a bit about the begining of a new era.
Oh and Jennifer Watt, welcome to the greatest club there is.

Last edited:
While Wilson lamented the lack of prospects coming through, she expects new Roos CEO Jennifer Watt – who’s never before been a club CEO – to do a fine job.

“Full disclosure, she’s a good acquaintance of mine… I always thought she would get the job,” Wilson stated

“She’s a gun and I am so glad North Melbourne – who have a woman president – now have the AFL’s second woman CEO.

“Usually if you come from outside (club land) it doesn’t really work, Tracy Gaudry was the first woman CEO at Hawthorn… it didn’t work out. Jen Wat, I believe it will and I think she’s going to do a brilliant job.”

It's good to see capable people not being held back by any discriminatory factors. But I really respected that both Sonja and Jennifer clearly stated that the appointment was based on being the best candidate (Jennifer was obviously more humble about it in her wording).

I don’t see another 3 years in Tasmania as a bad thing, we can’t just rip the bandaid off and expect to magically find that money somewhere else. We now have 3 years to work out how to replace that money and the Spirit of Tasmania sponsorship and we’ve never been in a better position on field to do it even though we finished last.
Whilst I agree we need a plan I'd be absolutely shocked if that isn't already well under way - it would be an indictment on the current board if they haven't started planning this already given so much talk about a Tasmanian team. We've known for a long time now that Tasmania's end game is to not be supporting us.

Difficult position to be in if there has not been a formal decision on the Tasmanian team introduction (and timeline) as ideally you would have that in place before committing either way.

I'll give them the benefit of not treating the board like idiots and assume planning is well under way, it would be nice to be brought along for the ride every now and again though, rather than treated like mushrooms until they decide to tell us what they're doing with our club.

Whilst I agree we need a plan I'd be absolutely shocked if that isn't already well under way - it would be an indictment on the current board if they haven't started planning this already given so much talk about a Tasmanian team. We've known for a long time now that Tasmania's end game is to not be supporting us.

Difficult position to be in if there has not been a formal decision on the Tasmanian team introduction (and timeline) as ideally you would have that in place before committing either way.

I'll give them the benefit of not treating the board like idiots and assume planning is well under way, it would be nice to be brought along for the ride every now and again though, rather than treated like mushrooms until they decide to tell us what they're doing with our club.
Agree, I'd be very surprised if we haven't already started planning…

Jen Watt named new CEO of North Melbourne
www.heraldsun.com.au

Jen Watt‘s first job in football was to enter the names and details of Melbourne Football Club members into a computer.

Twenty years later she has become the second female to become an AFL chief executive and part of a historic double act at North Melbourne with president Dr Sonja Hood.

The girl power dynamic at Arden St is a “perfect match” according to Watt who will start her new gig in January.

When the announcement was made on Tuesday Watt’s phone blew up and it wasn’t until 11.30pm that she finished replying to every single message as well as congratulatory emails.

“I love that the industry is changing a little bit,” Watt said. ”We have got three female presidents, we had four, and this is another really great step.

“I don’t think it is necessarily about gender but I feel really proud to be able to represent that moment for the game.”

Hood said Watt, who is currently the commercial operations and partnerships manager at the Melbourne Cricket Club, went through the same recruitment method as senior coach Alastair Clarkson.

“I am delighted that it is history making, I’m delighted that it is forward thinking but to be perfectly honest I’m most delighted that she is the best person for the job,” Hood said.

“We knew we needed someone to bring our club together and that became really clear particularly once Todd (Viney) was in and Clarko was in. We’ve got a really strong footy IP, really strong executive team here and we needed someone to make the thing gell.

“I reckon in a footy club you think of it as a doughnut, footy is the jam and our jam is sitting out over there and it needs to sit in the middle of the doughnut. How you make that happen and how you make it permutate everything that you do and vice versa is one of the real challenges.

“We were really clear on who we were looking for and Jen was an absolute standout.”

The journey for Watt, 45, started at the Demons as a membership co-ordinator after she’d got her taste for the football industry working for player management group Flying Start.

“The early days at Melbourne was literally entering members details into the computer and I loved it,” she said. ”I got to understand match days, selling memberships in the tents at games and then issuing membership scarfs.

“Over my 14 years at Melbourne I worked my way through a range of jobs, I was marketing manager and then for the last eight years there I was general manager of marketing and communications looking after events, membership and merchandise.”

Watt was awarded the AFL’s Graeme Samuel Scholarship in 2016 which saw her spend five months learning the ropes at league headquarters.

She then moved over to the MCC to broaden her skill set and it was there where she first dreamt of one day running an AFL club.

“After 14 years you have a really strong sense of the club environment and then going to the MCC gave me an understanding of the industry environment,” Watt said.

“There’s the commercial side, the venue relationships with clubs, the Cricket Australia relationship and also working with promoters for the first time gave me an understanding of how to put on a Eminem concert.

New North Melbourne Kangaroos CEO Jen Watt and Club President Sonja Hood. Picture: David Caird
New North Melbourne Kangaroos CEO Jen Watt and Club President Sonja Hood. Picture: David Caird

“That all gave me a really great understanding of the economy of the whole industry and I’ve been there for five years which means I’ve driven to the MCG every day for 20 years.”

The mother of two has already got an indication from her eldest daughter that she may be willing to swap allegiance from Melbourne to the Kangaroos, a team Watt already had a soft spot for.

“I have always had a soft spot for them because Melbourne, North and the Bulldogs, people used to talk about them in the same fashion, AFL dependant, low supporter bases, lots of challenges,” Watt said.

“So then when North secured Alastair Clarkson and Todd Viney, it just started to feel like something pretty exciting. You just get a feeling that I think I really want to be part of it.”
I don't have time for the doughnut thing Jen.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back