New Club - I'm Sorry Chris Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy is all types of things to all types of people. Providing some shade on a particularly subjective topic was enjoyable, but Doppleganger pushed it too far. That you liked it was pretty disappointing for me as someone that enjoys your more whimsical approach to things...

Ohh I wasn't paying much attention to the by-play between you and doppleganger, you both analyse and debate well, thought it was just banter

This is what doppleganger said that I liked...

"Some people are happy to see the MayneEvent proving them wrong, ie they thought he was a washed up hack who we should delist. Similar to big Mason, not every player is created equal...guys like Cox n Mayne are/were written off, and a player who people once derided they are now happy seeing him play well in the BnW stripes, hence the ‘sorry’ thread."

I think you have set a standard of comparison here that you see as relevant when suggesting Adams needs to be acknowledge having improved greatly over his last 10 quarters - but are reluctant to accept the same benchmark for Mayne.

Whether he is best 22 or not his improvement in his last 10 qtrs is worthy of praise, which I think many here are trying to convey.

There is no basis to argue against this fact - he definitely has improved.

However, most here would also agree with you that giving younger guys an opportunity, at Maynes expense has no downside especially against Carlton.

If Mayne had performed in his first game like he did yesterday, then we would have saved 100 pages of debate here.
As to his future - I think most here would agree that he showed yesterday he is more than capable as depth player even in big games on the MCG.
He did a lot of good, intelligent things yesterday, and unlike other games I did not cringe once, and was clapping on this inside on a number of occasions.

On the whole I agree with you Spinny, but there most certainly is a basis to argue against that particular comment primarily because he was below average v Fremantle. There were plenty calling for him to be dropped as a result. It wasn’t what I’d call a howler by any stretch from the match committee and he played his role yesterday, but he was named on the bench so it was close enough.

I think if we’re talking about his last 10 quarters v 2017 you’d be right, but if it’s compared against the Geelong to Bulldogs games I’d be less inclined to agree. Either way it’s certainly not the cold hard fact you suggested!

On the whole I agree with you Spinny, but there most certainly is a basis to argue against that particular comment primarily because he was below average v Fremantle. There were plenty calling for him to be dropped as a result. It wasn’t what I’d call a howler by any stretch from the match committee and he played his role yesterday, but he was named on the bench so it was close enough.

I think if we’re talking about his last 10 quarters v 2017 you’d be right, but if it’s compared against the Geelong to Bulldogs games I’d be less inclined to agree. Either way it’s certainly not the cold hard fact you suggested!

I put my hand up and admit I wrote him off after the Tigers game in 2017...…...but I tell you what he stays in because he "deserves" to be in this team at the moment.

Good luck to him I say...….he definitely isn't a quitter.

I can definitely see both sides. He doesn't bring anything more than Aish brings to that role. If it wasn't for his history the media wouldn't be lauding it as a great run of form.

But you can't help but be happy for him. After slogging it out in the VFL all of last year and for the first 6 weeks this year its great to see him get a run of AFL games and be a part of a fantastic win.

I agree with Scodog that he needs to move the ball on quicker. If he starts doing that his touches will become a lot more dangerous

IMHO Aish this season (until his injury) easily had him covered but they play the position differently. Mayne more a defensive focus, Aish more offensive, Mayne conservative, Aish taking risks.

Mayne is a serviceable stop gap but in a position we've seen the likes of Greening, Barham, Abernathy, Wright, Barwick, Millane, and Brown (among others) dominate, is that enough? We can endure games like yesterday in the short term but longer term we need more from the position and that generally comes from a "take the game on" attitude which seems beyond Mayne's capacity at the moment.

More power to him for getting back, but I'd much prefer others tried there.

I took the general theme of the comments to be pretty happy for a bloke who has copped a lot of flak from media (not to mention BF) to have adapted and improved himself to the point where he made a decent contribution during a great win yesterday.

Not sure your reaction against those sentiments isn't something of an overreaction to what is essentially some harmless positivity?

As for his decision-making, that back pocket switch up the middle in the last 30 seconds of the third quarter was nothing short of sublime. Could have easily taken the safe option out wide to run down the clock but took a big risk which gave us a goal. In hindsight, if he made an error with that kick to Langdon, there would have been an almost certain goal to Melbourne. Which would have had them within 18 points at 3Q time instead of the 30. Imagine the furore that would have erupted against him then? If we had gone onto lose the match from there, it could conceivably ended his career at Collingwood. Now, he probably wasn't thinking all that through at the time, but you have to concede that was a ballsy move from a maligned player at a critical point in the match.

Has a seasoned AFL body, great work ethic and great attitude. He fits when our team is playing well because he will play the role. He ain't winning us games and he is unlikely to lose us any either.

On the plus side, his work on the inside of the contest is really quite good for a wing man. But he will need to continue to improve as he has done the past few weeks if he is to be anymore than the 21st or 22nd player picked.

Its nothing but great news when experienced bodies like Mayne Wells Varcoe Fasolo Reid Broomhead and Greenwood are fighting with new kids Daicos Brown Sier Wills Appleby Mihocek and Murray for the last 2-3 spots in our best 22.

Not counting Elliott and Moore who walk back into best 22 when fit and add further pressure on the last 2-3 picked....

Last edited:
I took the general theme of the comments to be pretty happy for a bloke who has copped a lot of flak from media (not to mention BF) to have adapted and improved himself to the point where he made a decent contribution during a great win yesterday.

Not sure your reaction against those sentiments isn't something of an overreaction to what is essentially some harmless positivity?

As for his decision-making, that back pocket switch up the middle in the last 30 seconds of the third quarter was nothing short of sublime. Could have easily taken the safe option out wide to run down the clock but took a big risk which gave us a goal. In hindsight, if he made an error with that kick to Langdon, there would have been an almost certain goal to Melbourne. Which would have had them within 18 points at half time instead of the 30. Imagine the furore that would have erupted against him then? If we had gone onto lose the match from there, it could conceivably ended his career at Collingwood. Now, he probably wasn't thinking all that through at the time, but you have to concede that was a ballsy move from a maligned player at a critical point in the match.

If mayne missed langdon there would've been a lynchin.

Dropped after three games and never given a second look in after that. Maybe his hopeless 2017 wasnt entirely his own fault.

Needed to be doing something at VFL level to merit promotion. Unfortunately for him, he left that till the last quarter against Richmond during the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needed to be doing something at VFL level to merit promotion. Unfortunately for him, he left that till the last quarter against Richmond during the finals.

He was consistent all season and regularly named in the best players. Unfortunately he was overlooked a few times. Rumours that he was s**t or had a terrible 2017 are greatly exaggerated. His cards were marked to some extent. All water under the bridge now.

I watched the game again last night and he gave off lots of lovely little handpasses to unleash players.
He was actually quite damaging with many of his possessions.
Really happy for him. Good on him.

:thumbsu:

I put my hand up and admit I wrote him off after the Tigers game in 2017...…...but I tell you what he stays in because he "deserves" to be in this team at the moment.

Good luck to him I say...….he definitely isn't a quitter.

And that’s something I can get behind. At least more so than your pic from the first page hah!

As for his decision-making, that back pocket switch up the middle in the last 30 seconds of the third quarter was nothing short of sublime. Could have easily taken the safe option out wide to run down the clock but took a big risk which gave us a goal. In hindsight, if he made an error with that kick to Langdon, there would have been an almost certain goal to Melbourne. Which would have had them within 18 points at 3Q time instead of the 30. Imagine the furore that would have erupted against him then? If we had gone onto lose the match from there, it could conceivably ended his career at Collingwood. Now, he probably wasn't thinking all that through at the time, but you have to concede that was a ballsy move from a maligned player at a critical point in the match.

Nope. Happy for you to see it that way, but I continue to stand by some of it being OTT. At what point does it become a case of it being acceptable to disagree with the collective?

I’d prefer to challenge the views of others than the approach you’ve suggested.

I’m not going to argue with you here JB because I think you’ve got me pegged better than anyone that’s responded thus far, but I’ll leave these hear.

“The new version of Leroy Brown. Get around him. Heart and soul of the club.”

“There should be a crowd that rocks up tomorrow and says we are sorry Chris. With lots of hugs.”

A gif referring to haters gon hate as well?

Plus multiple calls for it as the best game he’s played for the club which is marginal and probably a sign of where he’s really at.

Hubris is the word that springs to mind and Ketchups post on the first page seems under appreciated to me...

He was consistent all season and regularly named in the best players. Unfortunately he was overlooked a few times. Rumours that he was s**t or had a terrible 2017 are greatly exaggerated. His cards were marked to some extent. All water under the bridge now.

Being consistent and being named among the best players at VFL doesn't guarantee anything as we've seen with footballers I consider better than Mayne. He needed to be doing the exceptional more regularly to force an incumbent out or wait for an opening by position due to injury. Neither came. If he'd had more quarters like his last against the Tigas in that final, I'd suggest he may well have had more opportunity. As I recall it, there may have been 1 other exceptional quarter against the Bumbers in a game we were flogged in.

I think you have set a standard of comparison here that you see as relevant when suggesting Adams needs to be acknowledged having improved greatly over his last 10 quarters - but are reluctant to accept the same benchmark for Mayne.

Whether he is best 22 or not his improvement in his last 10 qtrs is worthy of praise, which I think many here are trying to convey.

There is no basis to argue against this fact - he definitely has improved.

However, most here would also agree with you that giving younger guys an opportunity, at Maynes expense has no downside especially against Carlton.

If Mayne had performed in his first game like he did yesterday, then we would have saved 100 pages of debate here.
As to his future - I think most here would agree that he showed yesterday he is more than capable as depth player even in big games on the MCG.
He did a lot of good, intelligent things yesterday, and unlike other games I did not cringe once, and was clapping on this inside on a number of occasions.
I am not sure that you are comparing apples for apples. Adams - 108 games/Mayne 182 games.

Think expectations would be more from a player that has 80 games more under his belt, further I don't think that the 10 quarter games are comparable either.

I at least have the humility to acknowledge that differing views should be accepted. I’ll just argue them hard which is all I’ve done today!
No idea why you then decided to crack the sads and make it personal with me waffling about high horses, and bigging yourself up as a poster who is blessed with humility...

Plenty of people happy to single out Mayne for some praise, a few people such as Ketchup happy to temper said praise.

Ketchup and others did that without deciding to go on some silly crusade wanting to ‘argue hard’ for their point and adding ‘shade’.

Y a poster would decide to take it upon themselves to ‘argue hard’ and bring ‘shade’ to what is basically a Mayne toast thread has me beat....just someone looking for an argument I guess, it appears I took your bait, silly me.

Dropped after three games and never given a second look in after that. Maybe his hopeless 2017 wasnt entirely his own fault.

Let’s not re-write history! What we should be thankful for is that both he and the club acknowledged that 2017 was an annus horribillis, he got fitter (by Buckley’s own admission), his role was changed and he’s now relevant again.

No idea why you then decided to crack the sads and make it personal with me waffling about high horses, and bigging yourself up as a poster who is blessed with humility...

Plenty of people happy to single out Mayne for some praise, a few people such as Ketchup happy to temper said praise.

Ketchup and others did that without deciding to go on some silly crusade wanting to ‘argue hard’ for their point and adding ‘shade’.

Y a poster would decide to take it upon themselves to ‘argue hard’ and bring ‘shade’ to what is basically a Mayne toast thread has me beat....just someone looking for an argument I guess, it appears I took your bait, silly me.

The irony of this post is delicious and I concur. Definitely your best contribution today!

Footy is all types of things to all types of people.

Absolutely. Some people love the analysis. Some love the chance to vent. Some love the theatre. Some love the sense of community or belonging to a club. It's all good - as long as you aren't cheering for Essendon or Carlton.

Let’s not re-write history! What we should be thankful for is that both he and the club acknowledged that 2017 was an annus horribillis, he got fitter (by Buckley’s own admission), his role was changed and he’s now relevant again.

Maybe they should have changed his role earlier?

Played well enough for a recall in the VFL as did Cox during the year. Cox had to wait for a Grundy suspension to let him back and Mayne didnt get a chance at all. Its not rewriting history. Its fact.

Maybe the annus horribilus wasnt entirely their fault but club can share the blame for not opening up a second chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back