New Club - I'm Sorry Chris Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Dropped after three games and never given a second look in after that. Maybe his hopeless 2017 wasnt entirely his own fault.

They recruited him to play as a hit up pressure forward. It turned out that he was no longer good enough to play that role. He's turned it around in a different role, but he needed this preseason to shed some weight and become an endurance runner, in order to play his current role. It's an enormous credit to him that he has put in the work and to the coaching staff for being willing and able to work out how to use him.

Played well enough for a recall in the VFL as did Cox during the year. Cox had to wait for a Grundy suspension to let him back and Mayne didnt get a chance at all. Its not rewriting history. Its fact.

I'm not a VFL watcher, but all reports from last year's VFL were that he was struggling at that level as well. so I think your fact is very subjective.

Maybe they should have changed his role earlier?

Just saw the rest of your post and you are wrong. We as a club got a lot wrong in 2017, but leaving Mayne in the two’s because of his form was not one of them. He was deplorable so please stop! MagpieBat if you could please pass judgment on this one.

Your opinion is that some of the Mayne posts are OTT. That's ok.

But come on, can't you give him something for that switch?

Of course! In isolation I have no issue with acknowledging good passages of football I didn’t really acknowledge it earlier because it’s been a long day.

Taking the next step and doing exactly that with the consistency I expect of a ten year veteran is what I’m looking for. It’s obviously been lost in the wash though and I get that.

Last edited:

Absolutely. Some people love the analysis. Some love the chance to vent. Some love the theatre. Some love the sense of community or belonging to a club. It's all good - as long as you aren't cheering for Essendon or Carlton.
Lol if you are cheering the pondscum then there is literally no hope for you.

I'm not a VFL watcher, but all reports from last year's VFL were that he was struggling at that level as well. so I think your fact is very subjective.
He struggled big time. Very right.

Just saw the rest of your post and you are wrong. We as a club got a lot wrong in 2017, but leaving Mayne in the two’s because of his form was not one of them. He was deplorable so please stop! MagpieBat if you could please pass judgment on this one.

Mayne played 4 of what you would class as 'definitely good' quarters of VFL after being dropped in AFL Round 3 for the whole of 2017, spread amongst 18 games. Fortuitously for him, 2 of those quarters were after half time in a narrow losing final on the telly, which planted the idea that there was still something resembling life within him. But watching him live last year was more often than not rage-inducing.

You are correct. Leaving him down there was not a mistake.

Absolutely. Some people love the analysis. Some love the chance to vent. Some love the theatre. Some love the sense of community or belonging to a club. It's all good - as long as you aren't cheering for Essendon or Carlton.
Or Richmond and Melbourne. Get it right!:D

I am not sure that you are comparing apples for apples. Adams - 108 games/Mayne 182 games.

Think expectations would be more from a player that has 80 games more under his belt, further I don't think that the 10 quarter games are comparable either.

I think you have missed the point - Sco cited the 10 qtr improvement benchmark for Adams. I simply suggested using the same benchmark Mayne has also improved. Why should games played have any relevance?

In today's Herald Sun

"In perhaps the ultimate symbol of Collingwood’s resurgence, Mayne has been recast by senior coach Buckley as a role-playing defensive wingman.

After slimming down by as much as 5kg with a new vegan diet, Mayne is allowing his more offensive teammates to cut rivals like Melbourne to ribbons.

After seven straight games he is averaging career-high possessions (17.6), rating elite in pressure and, compared to all wingmen, is above average for tackles (3.7), score assists and score involvements.

Of all AFL wingmen, he is behind only Jack Graham when ranked on his ability to apply pressure."

Or Richmond and Melbourne. Get it right!:D
I didn't mention Melbourne because no one actually cheers for them. Richmond, I know it's blasphemous, but I've got a soft spot for the Tigers. I've been known to cheer for them. My therapist reckons I will eventually get over it and discover my rightful hate. Fingers crossed that I will see the light.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't mention Melbourne because no one actually cheers for them. Richmond, I know it's blasphemous, but I've got a soft spot for the Tigers. I've been known to cheer for them. My therapist reckons I will eventually get over it and discover my rightful hate. Fingers crossed that I will see the light.
You are very close to going onto my ‘ignore’ list.
Richmond is right next to Melbourne for me until Carlton improves, which might be never!:D

I think you have missed the point - Sco cited the 10 qtr improvement benchmark for Adams. I simply suggested using the same benchmark Mayne has also improved. Why should games played have any relevance?
Expectations and performance should be higher.

Yeah I'm not seeing what others are. He has played two average games in a row. I'm not celebrating that, it should be the minimum. We have a host of injured players I'd have no hesitation bringing in for him if they were available. He's middle aged and as good as he'll ever be. Rather play another younger player with more potential, we can probably afford to right now as the team is going well.

Is that his role as a wingman? I would argue that what you’ve described is Adams.

IMO, in the role he’s currently occupying he needs to be a link man that holds his structure around the contest and then impacts on the outside. What I would say is the biggest asset he’s bringing to the team is also my biggest criticism, his composure. He takes an eternity to make the call, which has invariably been right, but it kills momentum taking a moving structure to a stop play. In terms of a replacement we’re talking about a full time mid averaging under 18ppg so any small-mid sized player could offer something. The question is more whether the small re-shuffle is worth it until Aish and Elliott return?

Would I be dropping him? Not this week, but is this thread and the love in warranted? Absolutely not.

FWIW the guys that clearly outperformed him yesterday in no particular order were Cox, WHE, Stephenson, JT, Treloar, Adams, JDG, Langdon, Pendles, Howe, Dunn, Grundy and Crisp. He was genuinely closer to bottom 6 than a good contributor!
Curious whether Sidebottom was deliberate or accidental omission from that list?

I am not sure that you are comparing apples for apples. Adams - 108 games/Mayne 182 games.

Think expectations would be more from a player that has 80 games more under his belt, further I don't think that the 10 quarter games are comparable either.

No, he's comparing an apple to tofu. In comparison, Adams is an apple - crisp, sweet and juicy. The reason for the rejoicing is that a miracle has occurred whereby the rubbery, flavourless tofu has become palatable, I would even go as far as saying tasty. Praise be.

If someone had told me he was earmarked for a winger spot before his recall this year I would have thrown up. Enjoy eating my humble pie on this one. Playing his role beautifully and is doing the jumper proud right now. Goes to show we're not all the footy experts we all may think we are at times! Go you good thing!

Got to page 4.

This thread is surely about congrats to a guy that everyone in the football world wrote off.

He is playing his role in the team & doing a reasonable job, better than I expect most of us thought he had in him.

He's no star & it's likely even hopefully he gets replaced by a better player soon.

He personally shouldn't be judged on his contract, that's for Hine/Gubby to live by.

The guy was shot last year & lambasted by everyone, punters & critics alike.

He could've rested on his contract & not given a yelp.

He's held his head up & pushed through, congrats to the guy!

Got to page 4.

This thread is surely about congrats to a guy that everyone in the football world wrote off.

He is playing his role in the team & doing a reasonable job, better than I expect most of us thought he had in him.

He's no star & it's likely even hopefully he gets replaced by a better player soon.

He personally shouldn't be judged on his contract, that's for Hine/Gubby to live by.

The guy was shot last year & lambasted by everyone, punters & critics alike.

He could've rested on his contract & not given a yelp.

He's held his head up & pushed through, congrats to the guy!

Spot on O A. :thumbsu:

Where is my 'sorry Blair' thread?;)
Feel free to start one up.

Not sure it will be the most effusive thread but one thing is certain.

He has got everything out of himself as a player and that deserves great praise.

No, he's comparing an apple to tofu. In comparison, Adams is an apple - crisp, sweet and juicy. The reason for the rejoicing is that a miracle has occurred whereby the rubbery, flavourless tofu has become palatable, I would even go as far as saying tasty. Praise be.

May the lord open

I really hope Chris reads this thread. I was at the game on Monday, my first in 2 years!
He really stood out... not in the way a Stephenson or Steele do (flashy, exciting) but he was just so so clean, some of his steady, calm disposals in traffic were outstanding and absolutely crucial. He is a crucial member of this 22 at the moment. I imagine internally he is being recognised for his work, and he deserves it so much.

In fact, after the game i was talking my parents and my mother (who knows little about football, was just there for the spectacle and atmosphere) when asked who was the best player she replied with ‘who is that young skinny number 16 with the curly blonde hair? I thought he was really good’.
And then when I explained how he was a 29 y.o free agent and what he has been through since arriving she was very surprised.

When you stand out to a neutral supporter of the game i reckon huge credit is due!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back