New Club - I'm Sorry Chris Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm ready to make my apology.

I'm sorry Chris. I always knew you were a 100% every time player. But I never knew you could have the effect on a match that you had tonight. I can think of 4 efforts from you that either saved goals or were instrumental or setting up goals in that half. Your second half was sensational and without you it would have been only a marginal win.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan at all of the merciless bagging Mayne has been subjected to. It pleases me greatly to see him get a decent run of games and to hold his own. There's no doubt a lesser bloke would have dropped his bundle and chucked in the towel. He is a credit to himself.

Agreed.
And I think many would also agree, that with a full list available, Mayne would not be in the 22.
He has fitted in pretty well to the roll he is playing now, but players like Varcoe, Elliott, (a very fit) Wells, Broomhead, Aish and even to a degree Moore, when fit, will push him out of the 22
No way would Broomhead push Mayne out of the 22. Broomhead's injury is unfortunate but at no stage in his career has he looked to be best 22 material. Mayne is a far more accomplished player than Broomhead will ever be.

He's playing ok at the moment but I think a fit James Aish takes his spot.
Just a matter of whether Aish gets back in time this year.

The reality is that we will hardly ever have our best 22 available. So in a sense the real world "best 22" is the 22 that are fittest, healthiest and most in form.

Mayne ticks all three boxes right now and I'm stoked for him.

Last night Mayne established himself as more than a handy role player... His efforts at times that saved or created goals were Maxwell-like.

Well done to the guy, he proved us all wrong. He might very well make space for a more naturally talented player but he has earned my respect and made a statement about his attitude.

I'm very proud of this bloke

What a guy , charitable , well measured

Even early at the preseason games didn't drop his head and continued to provide work of the ball to improve his teammates

A trait all great teams have

And a great read which I point out the quote reported contract size

That's because he nowhere close to that money

Worked hard both ways last night 1 of the few who really did.
There were a lot of passengers but Chris Mayne was not 1 of them,I think a few of our players have been reading the papers too much.

I've never bagged him on this board (that i can recall) but I have in chatting with friends. I owe Chris Mayne an apology too. His attitude and commitment are an example to us all. He has reinvented himself in a foreign environment, taken pretty much the worst that can be loaded on any footballer (a year in the seconds) and endured.

On behalf of us nonbeliever Pies fans. Thanks for making the effort.

Now I just need to sew his name and number onto the duffle coat.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrific last night.

Ensured we kept 2nd spot on the ladder.

Has a fantastic attitude.

Hard worker, good guy.

And good on him.

(Ps it’s never his fault he got a good contract that’s his good fortune)

The reality is that we will hardly ever have our best 22 available. So in a sense the real world "best 22" is the 22 that are fittest, healthiest and most in form.

Mayne ticks all three boxes right now and I'm stoked for him.
He ticks the first two at least

Remove this Banner Ad

Back