Prediction New Club Logo

Remove this Banner Ad

But the two logos is our logo due to the two separate competitions the club plays in.
Are you suggesting we remove the magpie logo from the SANFL team identity.
Do you believe the AFL (and Collingwood) will allow us to incorporate a magpie in a new logo used for that competition?
Do you agree that the logos for each division is the perfect logo for NTUA and quite perfectly identifies the club as it is?

I can understand the club considering something for the 150th year (only) because of merchandizing revenue, assuming supporters will purchase in a spending frenzy. Not sure that will happen given the level of disenchantment.

My concern is the club initializing a one of for one year only to then making the logo a more permant arrangement, again for merchandizing sales. We are talking bean counters, making change to club identity, that ultimately reduces club identity. Does anyone trust the current administration not to do that? Let's remember how the co-captaincy issue panned out and apply that to this. I'll make an educated guess and state they wont be listening to members because (1) it has already been decided and (2) members don't count.
The logo doesn't need gimmicks (magpie or lightning bolt) on it.

For example Melbourne doesn't have a demon on their logo and St Kilda don't have some guy with a halo over his head on theirs.

More emphasis on Port Adelaide, the colours black and white, the port panel perhaps which applies to both entities under the PAFC umbrella.

The big thing for me is we need to change perception that the Prison Bars is not a "Magpies jumper", It's a Port Adelaide jumper.

Once we have the right to wear our jumper and a logo that represents Port Adelaide as a whole, What nickname we have (or don't have) is secondary.

We need to find a proper solution because you never know how long the SANFL identity has left with the AFL reserves comp coming in one day. It needs to be thought about otherwise we may be rushed into just stripping everything at a moments notice and being full blown POWER/Thunderbolts/BiB/Teal etc and that would be terrible.

As if they would sample the market, not have the balls, and then run distraction.

I think its more of a case of it being a very difficult thing to sort out, so whilst that's happening have some hors d'ouerves.

I feel like I’m in BigFooty offseason already......all this talk of logo and jumper designs.
I guess the club song is next!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The difference is that these things are actually happening. In the off season we are just spit balling.

I think its more of a case of it being a very difficult thing to sort out, so whilst that's happening have some hors d'ouerves.
Yeah, you’re probably right.

Maybe a good reason that I am not a CEO is that I would just do it and not give a *. What can they possibly do to us that is worse? Penalised with pick one?

Aug 16, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United Portland Timbers
The difference is that these things are actually happening. In the off season we are just spit balling.

To be honest the only change that really interests me is the Prison Bars.
I can see the point of a combined logo but to me the jumper is what we stand for.
I can see the logo being an ugly mishmash and being no better than the separate Power and Magpies logos.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The current logo sucks, it’s an off-centre cartoon ffs.

I’m keen for change but it needs to be a strong, simple, easily identifiable symbol that we can use for a long time. A monogram works very well in this regard, but the current PA one needs some tweaking (beefing up?) imo if we were to use it full time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is this another rebrand or just a 150th year thing?
They should go for a rebrand and drop the "Power" thing entirely, forget the Magpies in the SANFL, and just be the Port Adelaide Football Club. No lightning bolts, no fists, no magpies, no stupid gimmicky crap. Just a strong professional logo.
And, regardless of what Rucci was trying to do or not do with the article with the light blue and white hoops, I think that's what we should adopt, with black as the third colour somewhere. Call me whatever you want, I think it's a great idea.
We aren't going to win this prison bars/wharf pylons thing against Collingwood because the AFL will side with them (them being a much bigger influential club then we are)
Wouldn't even clash with any other jumpers. Win win for the brand.

/quickly runs to hide.

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide is stronger than Port IMO.

If you say you go for Port, do you get the you support Port Power back from them?

I hate that we had to run with Port Power for 3 years to differentiate ourselves from Port Magpies. Both should have been Port Adelaide. In the AFL we should have been Port Adelaide or just Port, but not Port Power. But nobody in the history of a national sporting competition in the world that I'm aware of was forced to split into 2 and go thru the his BS, so we learnt on the job and made a few errors in the early days.
No, I don't get Port Power back from them these days. You don't hear that much anymore apart from a few ignorant fools in the media and the odd moron opposition supporter.

I agree with you about Port Adelaide also being a strong brand and that's why I pushed it relentlessly in the early years because, like you, I thought the Port Power branding was a mistake.

My point though was that we have been in the national spotlight long enough now to have transcended that early branding. I don't think many people outside SA use Port as shorthand for Port Power, I think they use it as shorthand for Port Adelaide, in the same way people in SA did in the pre-AFL era.

I think that's a good thing. If you'd talked to a Victorian about football 20 years ago and just said Port, their first assumption would have been that you were talking about Port Melbourne in the VFA/VFL. You would have had to say Port Adelaide or Port Power to clarify. You don't have to do that now as everyone knows that Port means Port Adelaide. It's part of the football fabric now.

If I was Koch, I'd be "doing an Eddie" and telling the AFL that PAFC should have exclusive rights to the name Port and that no future AFL club should ever have Port as part of it's name.

I'd also think about dropping the Power nickname, at least formally. I don't think it's the worst nickname but it is really a weak compromise that was more or less forced on us in an era where the push to Americanize everything began.

We are Port Adelaide, Port, the PAFC. We don't need an "official" nickname. Let our fans give us an unofficial one if they want to. My understanding is that nicknames and nicknames on logos didn't really become a thing until around the 1950s or 60s. Certainly, if you read reports of games from that era or earlier, you don't find many references to the nicknames we are familiar with now.

Last edited:

Pear1870

Section 301
Port Adelaide - Allir Allir Player Sponsor 2021 Port Adelaide - Kane Farrell Player Sponsor 2021 Port Adelaide - Connor Rozee Player Sponsor 2020
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Of all the threads on BF, this Minor topic of logos has highlighted to me that certain individuals appear fine to effortlessly disregard tradition and the heritage of Port Adelaide for what I do not know.. The magpie emblem for Port Adelaide is NOT that insignificant in this new age and not just attached to the Port Magpies. It is part of who we are. The logo, the colors are just 2 things that link the club in the two competitions together.

As a traditionalist, I find some flippant comments on this thread disrepectful to our proud tradition. Discussing appropriate logos that represent who we are as a united club while suggesting removal of the logo that has always represented us. What irony. What bullshit.

. I'm out of here. I've had enough of BF. Signing off.good luck. Have fun. See you at Alberton this week. (Sarcasm intended).

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Should have something about we exist not to make the bottom 4 included somehow.

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No, I don't get Port Power back from them these days. You don't hear that much anymore apart from a few ignorant fools in the media and the odd moron opposition supporter.

I agree with you about Port Adelaide also being a strong brand and that's why I pushed it relentlessly in the early years because, like you, I thought the Port Power branding was a mistake.

My point though was that we have been in the national spotlight long enough now to have transcended that early branding. I don't think many people outside SA use Port as shorthand for Port Power, I think they use it as shorthand for Port Adelaide, in the same way people in SA did in the pre-AFL era.

I think that's a good thing. If you'd talked to a Victorian about football 20 years ago and just said Port, their first assumption would have been that you were talking about Port Melbourne in the VFA/VFL. You would have had to say Port Adelaide or Port Power to clarify. You don't have to do that now as everyone knows that Port means Port Adelaide. It's part of the football fabric now.

If I was Koch, I'd be "doing an Eddie" and telling the AFL that PAFC should have exclusive rights to the name Port and that no future AFL club should ever have Port as part of it's name.

I'd also think about dropping the Power nickname, at least formally. I don't think it's the worst nickname but it is really a weak compromise that was more or less forced on an us in era where the push to Americanize everything began.

We are Port Adelaide, Port, the PAFC. We don't need an "official" nickname. Let our fans give us an unofficial one if they want to. My understanding is that nicknames and nicknames on logos didn't really become a thing until around the 1950s or 60s. Certainly, if you read reports of games from that era or earlier, you don't find many references to the nicknames we are familiar with now.
Great post this.

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They should go for a rebrand and drop the "Power" thing entirely, forget the Magpies in the SANFL, and just be the Port Adelaide Football Club. No lightning bolts, no fists, no magpies, no stupid gimmicky crap. Just a strong professional logo.
And, regardless of what Rucci was trying to do or not do with the article with the light blue and white hoops, I think that's what we should adopt, with black as the third colour somewhere. Call me whatever you want, I think it's a great idea.
We aren't going to win this prison bars/wharf pylons thing against Collingwood because the AFL will side with them (them being a much bigger influential club then we are)

/quickly runs to hide.

But I like the pooooowerrrrr chant

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

/quickly runs to hide.

Correction, the VFL will side with them. Juventus & Udine both share the black & white jumper in serie a soccer. We need to fight this to the death !! Collingwood do not own black & white end of fukn story

NEGAN

Premium Gold
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
PhotoEditor_20190516_165256827.jpg

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Of all the threads on BF, this Minor topic of logos has highlighted to me that certain individuals appear fine to effortlessly disregard tradition and the heritage of Port Adelaide for what I do not know.. The magpie emblem for Port Adelaide is NOT that insignificant in this new age and not just attached to the Port Magpies. It is part of who we are. The logo, the colors are just 2 things that link the club in the two competitions together.

As a traditionalist, I find some flippant comments on this thread disrepectful to our proud tradition. Discussing appropriate logos that represent who we are as a united club while suggesting removal of the logo that has always represented us. What irony. What ********.

. I'm out of here. I've had enough of BF. Signing off.good luck. Have fun. See you at Alberton this week. (Sarcasm intended).

Traditionalist you say? What's wrong with one of these mr tradionalist...

Port-1870.gif

Port-1870(2).gif

Port-1877.gif

Port-1888.gif

Port-1893.gif
...or one of it's various iterations.

This is what Port Adelaide wore in the 31 years before the black and white wharf pylons/prison bars were adopted.

Who cares about the SANFL. It's a dead competition that aint worth s**t.
We wont be playing in the SANFL for much longer anyway when the AFL eventually brings in a reserves competition to complement the AFL. At that stage there wont be a Port Adelaide Magpies, so get a few steps ahead of the inevitable and make the change to simply being the Port Adelaide Football Club now.

Our first premiership was in this
Port-1884.gif

In 1890 our second premiership and first Champions of Australia we wore this
Port-1888.gif

Our third premiership we wore this
Port-1896.gif

Our premierships in the wharf pylons we wore different variations. Which one makes the cut? Can't have them all.
What about in 1951 when we wore jumpers that were actually given to us by Collingwood, or the various other times we won in the collingwood style bars.
I guess nobody wants to bring this one back since we didn't win any flags wearing this?
Port-1924.gif

Correction, the VFL will side with them. Juventus & Udine both share the black & white jumper in serie a soccer. We need to fight this to the death !! Collingwood do not own black & white end of fukn story

See above and also, why does it have to be black and white?

Soccer in Europe has divisions with promotion and relegation. We don't have that here. Therefore over there, with only so many viable colour variations and combinations, you can't exactly turn around and say nope, only Juventus is going to wear black and white vertical stripes. This is Australia though, and a different code, and we only have a national competition with 18 fixed teams, no relegation or promotion system and we almost never have such a system in the AFL. And even in Aussie rules lower leagues, is there two teams that wear the jumpers with the same predominant feature in the same colours? in our case it's the black and white bars obviously.

I'm all for wearing OUR wharf pylons, since they differ from Collingwoods bars but holy crap man some of you people act as if before 1902 our players were running around stark naked on the field.

But I also think if this is a rebrand of the logo by the club, then they should go a step or two further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back