Prediction New Club Logo

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I think I'm the only person that likes where the symmetry of where the 1870 is.
My issue with it is predicated on the fact that it scales poorly where it is, the fact that it doesn't even appear on half of the things the new logo is on and the typeface being given zero thought.

My issue with it is predicated on the fact that it scales poorly where it is, the fact that it doesn't even appear on half of the things the new logo is on and the typeface being given zero thought.

It's also in a visual 'hiding spot' in the gap at the bottom of the A. The eye blurs it as a continuation of the serifs at the base of the letter so it's read as a flat line, particularly at smaller sizes.

Surely the 1870 deserves more prominence. I don't mind how you've placed it over the bars but it still feels tacked on.

Mar 1, 2014
parallel universe
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For me the 1870 doesn't need to be large just not obscured by the A.
Maybe just needs to be placed elsewhere. (Not necessarily in the spot shown in the example below.)
b1.jpg

Last edited:
Is there an AFL rule that says a club must have joint major sponsors?
No, not ‘must have’, not in so many words ... just that it’s good to have a major sponsor somewhere around the joint.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
No, not ‘must have’, not in so many words ... just that it’s good to have a major sponsor somewhere around the joint.
Why are you so sure that GFG's sponsorship is not major?

I have no idea how much the GFG deal is worth but there seems to be many posters who "know" that it is not worth much at all. :think:

Why are you so sure that GFG's sponsorship is not major?

I have no idea how much the GFG deal is worth but there seems to be many posters who "know" that it is not worth much at all. :think:
What’s a Gupta and how much is a GFG worth?
For a start, I call GFG a ‘partner’ not a ‘sponsor’ because Gupta’s objective is a community one, not brand billboarding for the purpose of increasing product sales in a particular market. But that’s just me. As far as logo on playing top and at top of website are concerned, it’s the same. As far as revenue is concerned, it’s the same.

In Gupta’s case the question is whether he has paid, will pay, will keep paying, on time. We don’t know if he’s paid a dollar yet, and won’t know until the AGM, maybe still not even then.

My estimate of the partnership value is a million per annum. Where do I get that from? It’s a round number. And if it isn’t a million, it should be.

Beware the smart operator when you’re no match for him
I’m wary of Gupta ... not just because of his track record, especially as a bad payer in the global steel industry, but because he as an individual is just too smart.

He’s far too smart for Koch, whom he cut off mid-sentence at the partnership launch with such authority that Koch curled up and shrank like a caterpillar brushed by a little girl’s fingertip.

He’s too damn smart by far for anybody at Alberton. He’ll have known from the start how easy it is to play this l’il ole blue-collar footy club from the swamp, and I’ll bet that unless he volunteers payment and keeps on volunteering payment there will be nobody with the gumption to call on him and remind him that he’s overdue. For one thing, he intends to spend less time in Australia, more time overseas.

The case for Communications
There has been thorough silence from the Club as to how the partnership is progressing. There has been no story in the media, to my knowledge, about what Gupta, GFG and the Club are doing together on a regular basis. This is where a PAFC Communications Division should take over, acting as publicist, setting up photo-ops, suggesting stories long and short ... proving its value, its worth, setting the stage to ask Gupta for an increase to 1.5 million per annum, then to 2 million per annum.

The Club should have a dozen partners / sponsors with whom a Communications Division is working, earning extra revenue, earning increasing revenue in payment of extra work done, in payment for extra, classier, entertaining publicity for each of the dozen partners / sponsors. The Crows have Fagan’s eSports and Baseball Bite as our enemy’s instruments for attracting revenue outside of basic football parameters. We should have our Communications Division.

Not only would such an in-house operation, run properly, produce enough revenue to clear our eight-figure debt, pay out our senior coach and his litter, rid ourselves of anyone at the top of the pyramid whose name starts with K, recruit a superstar or three, make Ports an international brand, have us back in front of the pack and AFL House in China instead of meekly letting them overtake us as they’re doing as we speak ... it would concurrently keep informed the Club’s ‘externals’ - that necessary-evil mob heading towards extinction that dares to hold to account those on the Club payroll.

It would increase said payroll, and make those whose name is on said payroll very happy clappers who would ask each other “Why didn’t we get rid of our deadwood and do this a long time ago?”

What do we have now?
Indeed. What do we have now? Nothing much. Just a few oppos in something called Media, led by someone whose sole area of expertise is, and only just ... footy. Recently an expansion was started in this corner of the Club. A science called censorship was embarked upon by these sudden information police. Posters and tweeters were blocked if they wrote anything that gave off a whiff of criticism, especially if they posted or tweeted under a name more arcane than ‘John Brown’ or ‘Freda Smith’ or Steve Dore .

That’s what we have. That’s all we can afford. That’s what we probably deserve, as things stand.

So Steve, have I answered your question: Why do I feel that Gupta / GFG is not worth much?

Because I simply do not trust those involved, I have zero faith in those at the Club tasked with maximising our return over the long term (even short term would be a good start) from such - or any - opportunity.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
What’s a Gupta and how much is a GFG worth?
For a start, I call GFG a ‘partner’ not a ‘sponsor’ because Gupta’s objective is a community one, not brand billboarding for the purpose of increasing product sales in a particular market. But that’s just me. As far as logo on playing top and at top of website are concerned, it’s the same. As far as revenue is concerned, it’s the same.

In Gupta’s case the question is whether he has paid, will pay, will keep paying, on time. We don’t know if he’s paid a dollar yet, and won’t know until the AGM, maybe still not even then.

My estimate of the partnership value is a million per annum. Where do I get that from? It’s a round number. And if it isn’t a million, it should be.

Beware the smart operator when you’re no match for him
I’m wary of Gupta ... not just because of his track record, especially as a bad payer in the global steel industry, but because he as an individual is just too smart.

He’s far too smart for Koch, whom he cut off mid-sentence at the partnership launch with such authority that Koch curled up and shrank like a caterpillar brushed by a soft fingertip.

He’s too damn smart by far for anybody at Alberton. He’ll have known from the start how easy it is to play this l’il ole blue-collar footy club from the swamp, and I’ll bet that unless he volunteers payment and keeps on volunteering payment there will be nobody with the gumption to call on him and remind him that he’s overdue. For one thing, he intends to spend less time in Australia, more time overseas.

The case for Communications
There has been thorough silence from the Club as to how the partnership is progressing. There has been no story in the media, to my knowledge, about what Gupta, GFG and the Club are doing together on a regular basis. This is where a PAFC Communications Division should take over, acting as publicist, setting up photo-ops, suggesting stories long and short ... proving its value, its worth, setting the stage to ask Gupta for an increase to 1.5 million per annum, then to 2 million per annum.

The Club should have a dozen partners / sponsors with whom a Communications Division is working, earning extra revenue, earning increasing revenue in payment of extra work done, in payment for extra, classier, entertaining publicity for each of the dozen partners / sponsors. The Crows have Fagan’s eSports and Baseball Bite as our enemy’s instruments for attracting revenue outside of basic football parameters. We should have our Communications Division.

Not only would such an in-house operation, run properly, produce enough revenue to clear our eight-figure debt, pay out our senior coach and his litter, rid ourselves of anyone at the top of the pyramid whose name starts with K, recruit a superstar or three, make Ports an international brand, have us back in front of the pack and AFL House in China instead of meekly letting them overtake us as they’re doing as we speak ... it would concurrently keep informed the Club’s ‘externals’ - that necessary-evil mob heading towards extinction that dares to hold to account those on the Club payroll.

It would increase said payroll, and make those whose name is on said payroll very happy clappers who would ask each other “Why didn’t we get rid of our deadwood and do this a long time ago?”

What do we have now?
Indeed. What do we have now? Nothing much. Just a few oppos in something called Media, led by someone whose sole area of expertise is, and only just ... footy. Recently an expansion was started in this corner of the Club. A science called censorship was embarked upon by these sudden information police. Posters and tweeters were blocked if they wrote anything that gave off a whiff of criticism, especially if they posted or tweeted under a name more arcane than ‘John Brown’ or ‘Freda Smith’ or Steve Dore .

That’s what we have. That’s all we can afford. That’s what we probably deserve, as things stand.

So Steve, have I answered your question: Why do I feel that Gupta / GFG is not worth much?

Because I simply do not trust those involved, I have zero faith in those at the Club tasked with maximising our return over the long term (even short term would be a good start) from such - or any - opportunity.
So in summary you don't actually now how much GFG's is worth :)

So in summary you don't actually now how much GFG's is worth :)
‘Worth’ is relative. If it’s not being ‘worked’ it’s worth nothing. In the absence of evidence to the contrary ... yes, it’s worth nothing.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Surely the 1870 deserves more prominence. I don't mind how you've placed it over the bars but it still feels tacked on.

This is the thing for me. Is the 1870 important or not? If it's important enough to include, it's important enough to include properly.

Chokito

Club Legend
Aug 28, 2014
Perth WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats
Its there on the PB, but you can't pick it up in the photo.

Edit Screen shot of the legends looking at and talking about the logo and this is at the start with Bucky holding a PB jumper.

View attachment 767178

I really wish teal wasnt there and that the AFL logo was black and white like when collingwood did their 125yr guernseys

89F609B8-1502-45EF-963D-39C90F0048A6.jpeg

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I really wish teal wasnt there and that the AFL logo was black and white like when collingwood did their 125yr guernseys

View attachment 767415

I wouldn't call this a great logo at all but it does something that we failed to do with our little PA device - actually represent the the 150th somewhere (or are we hedging our bets it might be permanent).

In fact, who cares what 1870 means, the '150' is a more important date to be highlighting, just like the 125 in the Collingwood logo below - I find this amusing, they must of had such a hard time with the AFL Media department designing our logo they actually overlooked what it was for.

The more I see our PA devise as it has been presented the more mediocre it has become, it stands for everything the PAFC has suddenly become, a place where we happily accept out 10th placed ribbon for trying.... The logo is weak visually.

Surely it's about time we push for the Prison Bars full time, bugger Collingwood and the AFL, when you watch the Rugby like I did last night you realize how stupid it is with Collingwood thinking they 'own' black and white stripes, on in international level teams have moved well beyond this insular thinking, it's so insular, the AFL just panders to the VFL, screw them, Port needs to start being Port.

170321_logo300.jpg

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
It is not uncommon, the design, around these parts...

Looking at it again, I am more inclined to have stars and "Port" written on the top of the badge, instead of the "PA" monogram.

It would be something like mixing Boca Juniors (ARG), Atlético Mineiro (BRA), and Fortaleza (BRA) with Port Adelaide. Here, the four logos:
1572619502476-png.773332
iu
iu
180px-FortalezaEsporteClube.png

I imagine:
- Five lines lines of small white stars (18/17/18/17/18) on the top;
- "PORT" written on the center;
- Then, the prison bars;
- Finally, a teal chevron on the bottom.

It would be necessary to raise the bars a bit, so the horizontal line could go from side to side, as it does now. I would also get rid of the teal border. The teal chevron above the white one on the bottom (just as thick) would be enough.

Moreover, no "curves." The angles would be sharper, similar to those in Fortaleza's logo. It would look similar to what Janus have done here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachments/portnew-png.737773/

----

Still, I have no idea where to put a "1870" in a meaningful way. It could be vertically on the middle of the bars or inside the chevrons, in black; but I don't know.

If anyone believes the concept has potential and is interested in drawing it, I would appreciate the effort. I have no idea how to do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

----

P.S.: The 88 stars would stand for:
- 1 AFL flag;
- 4 Championship of Australia titles;
- 36 SANFL flags;
- 3 AFL Minor premierships;
- 44 SANFL Minor premierships.

Back