Prediction New coach candidates

Remove this Banner Ad

Alan McConnell...GWS senior assistant has a fantatstic relationship with his players and they love to play for him.

Blake Caracella...Doing a fantastic job at the Cats and very much respected by Scott

Stuart Dew...Must be close to a senior gig and thought to be a great thinker of the game

Adam Yze...Another that can be a success as a senior ciach from Hawthorn. Has been great working with the Hawks forwards and mids, also player development and a very respected assistant to Clarkson.

If l had the choice for me it would be Yze as senior coach. Has been part of the success at Hawthorn since 2011 and worked with the forwards, Mids and the development of players.

Closely followed by Caracella for mine.

Ross Lyon? The bloke who has failed with two teams with elite level talent?

Not sure if it's mandatory yet (it wasn't last year), but following Hird's appointment there will now/soon be minimum requirements. Best to look at this list who have the qualification or are exempt.

AFL level 4 accredited coaches

2016 -
Brett Montgomery (Western Bulldogs)
Peter Sumich (Fremantle)
Justin Longmuir (West Coast)
Jade Rawlings (Melbourne)

2015 -
John Barker (Carlton)
Blake Caracella (Geelong Cats)
Stuart Dew (Sydney Swans)
Simon Goodwin (Melbourne)
Robert Harvey (Collingwood)
Adam Kingsley (St Kilda)
Simon Lloyd (Fremantle, now Geelong)
Matthew Nicks (Port Adelaide)

Bolton was also part of this group.

Exempt former coaches (current/recent assistants or recent ex-coaches) -
Dean Laidley
Neil Craig
Mark Harvey
Matthew Knights
Matthew Primus
Brett Ratten
Brendan McCartney
Michael Voss
Mark Williams
Danny Frawley
Brenton Sanderson
Guy McKenna
Mick Malthouse
James Hird
Mark Thompson

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/a6b0f7b74bf2e945395acc53a0e78b92

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-03-10/monty-accepted-in-afl-coaching-course

Last edited:
Old mate Pert spent a bit of time in Adelaide this year, no idea why but he was there helping that hasbenn swimmer off the plane when pies were down early in season.

Throw Scott Bassett and Scott Camporeale into the mix with Dew.

With Buckley out of the way though it would be interesting to see who gets the stand in gig... Is it one of the assistants Burns, Harvey or does Tapping get the gig as the only actual experienced coach with some results on the board

i'm a bit worried that some crew are going for ratten? didn't he play for carlton? enough fukcing said boys, bad idea OK
Even McKenna had a run at Carlton as did McGuane. Sometimes you have to cross lines to find a solution. I always thought Ratten was very hard done by at Carlton. TBH I don't think the head coach changes anything - the support crew is as important as anything. we need to do whatever it takes to make Gubby Allen a key player in the club moving forward.

Has anyone ever looked closely at our past list of coaches? I would be positive that not one of them would have ever had to apply for the position or had to prove to a panel that they had the right attributes to be a successful coach. Eg Alistair Clarkson wasn't first choice of many for the Hawthorn gig but he won them over during the application process. Especially Dunstall. Brendan Bolton was up against many other potential Carlton coaches but he won out after proving he was the most suited to their needs. Luke Beveridge seemed like an unusual choice but the exhaustive process again made sure the right man was picked. If we are to move the coach on I hope we throw open the position and have a thorough procedure to find the best coach for Collingwood at the current time.
Like I said bucks was given the job even before working with mick so even if he was a horrible assistant he was getting the job no questions asked

Here's an interesting thought, I can't think of a time that Collingwood has interviewed a range of candidates for coach.

Buckley no
Malthouse no
Shaw no
Matthews no
Rose no
Cahill ??
Erwin no
Hafey no
Weideman ??
Rose ??

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying that but Buckley doesn't have that sort of level with the players. Malthouse did because he was like a dad to troubled players from broken homes etc.

I feel Bucks should be more careful with his kids when Thatsgold is in the area.

You do have a point though, I think one of the first questions in a new coaches interview should be whether they have had some sort of personal tragedy that we can leverage to motivate players.

I would be genuinely excited going in to 2017 with him at the helm.
lol really. so just want to line things up here.. one of your previous issues is that Buckley has slowly dropped down the list with what was a premiership contending list. which is exactly what Ross Lyon has and is doing. and yet to be proven Lyon cannot Build a list look at the state he left Saints in. atm Buckley is a better option than Lyon.

Someone on Nicks this morning said that they heard Ed on the radio and as far as he is concerned no changes will be made. If that is his thinking then we are stuffed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So most here have discounted Lyon, Bomber, Ratten as the "tried" alternative and have concerns with Dew, Tudor, Caracella as the "experienced" assistants, and then there's the less experienced assistants such as Yze and McConnell.

Clearly there are NO standout candidates here as there was when ED found Mick.

So why would ED risk jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire?

I suspect a dramatic up-scaling in the quality of the assistants will be his most likely move.

AND a quiet search for an available STANDOUT in 2017 ( just as he did with Mick) will be his fall back position - because that will be the only change that would satisfy ALL the magpie army.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's mandatory yet (it wasn't last year), but following Hird's appointment there will now/soon be minimum requirements. Best to look at this list who have the qualification or are exempt.

AFL level 4 accredited coaches

2016 -
Brett Montgomery (Western Bulldogs)
Peter Sumich (Fremantle)
Justin Longmuir (West Coast)
Jade Rawlings (Melbourne)

2015 -
John Barker (Carlton)
Blake Caracella (Geelong Cats)
Stuart Dew (Sydney Swans)
Simon Goodwin (Melbourne)
Robert Harvey (Collingwood)
Adam Kingsley (St Kilda)
Simon Lloyd (Fremantle, now Geelong)
Matthew Nicks (Port Adelaide)

Bolton was also part of this group.

Exempt former coaches (current/recent assistants or recent ex-coaches) -
Dean Laidley
Neil Craig
Mark Harvey
Matthew Knights
Matthew Primus
Brett Ratten
Brendan McCartney
Michael Voss
Mark Williams
Danny Frawley
Brenton Sanderson
Guy McKenna
Mick Malthouse
James Hird
Mark Thompson

Which of the above has won a minor premiership in a State league or had Grand Final participation AND has coached an AFL Mid-field?
Seems to me most of the above are failed Senior Coaches.

So most here have discounted Lyon, Bomber, Ratten as the "tried" alternative and have concerns with Dew, Tudor, Caracella as the "experienced" assistants, and then there's the less experienced assistants such as Yze and McConnell.

I suspect a dramatic up-scaling in the quality of the assistants will be his most likely move.

AND a quiet search for an available STANDOUT in 2017 ( just as he did with Mick) will be his fall back position - because that will be the only change that would satisfy ALL the magpie army.
Seems reasonable. I wouldn't discount Bomber tho, if he has sorted out a few issues. He might be tried, but he definitely isn't in the failed category.

That's what I expect will happen. I can't see a standout replacement aside from Bomber and you'd be rolling the dice with Bomber because he's just as likely to lose interest as quickly as he found it.
A wild card might be Mark Williams at the very least I think he's teh sort of assistant Bucks needs. The current crop strike me as being too nice

Question, why do people assume that assistant coach at currently good club = would make a good senior coach? What on Earth could you possibly base this off without access to the inner sanctum? Not saying that the names being thrown up here wouldn't make good coaches but I'd love to know how you can get an accurate read on an assistant coach as just a supporter. Anyway, pretty sure Neeld and Watters were talked up as people that would make great senior coaches as Malthouse disciples. Unfortunately for them it didn't really seem to pan out that way.

Got to be Dew for mine.

Would love for him to bring some of that tough no compromises Sydney game style to our team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back