Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
So it's quite clear that we went with a stupid loyalty mistake of JLo instead of actually picking a proper senior coach. We've gone backwards on last year in skills and game plan.

That being said, who do we want to coach us next year now? We need someone with a proper game plan and an ability to develop skills. Clarkson seems to be on thin ice at the Hawks. Maybe him?

*MOD NOTICE*
If nobody posts in here then this thread disappears. Personally, I think the team has been quite competitive given the challenges of a new game style, no players available and playing a total of two games at home so far - four months into the start of the season.
-Taylor

Last edited by a moderator:

Pathetic. I'm allowed an opinion. Prove to me that he's a good coach.
Your opinion is complete trash based on nothing other than hate and your need to be the first to call everything, while being different. You do the same on a whole bunch of things and thrive on being negative.

I can not prove he is a good coach, you can not prove he is bad coach based on everything that has happened this year. It’s completely beyond actual reasoning of which you are not capable of.

Your opinion is complete trash based on nothing other than hate and your need to be the first to call everything, while being different. You do the same on a whole bunch of things and thrive on being negative.

I can not prove he is a good coach, you can not prove he is bad coach based on everything that has happened this year. It’s completely beyond actual reasoning of which you are not capable of.
I need to be the first to call everything? I've been barely on this board the last few years due to other commitments. I was positive and wanted to keep Ross last year while the rest were wanting him to be hung, drawn and quartered. I was the only person originally who wanted to keep David Mundy while everyone wanted to trade him for a bag of chips.

My opinion is based on performances and stats. We are scoring an adjusted 1 point a game more than last year under a coach who everyone despised for low scoring and wanted gone. We are averaging less inside 50s adjusted than we were last year. You can't win if you can't score, that's obvious. Our game plan to go around the boundary is quite easy for teams to shut down, that's why most teams don't play that anymore. There is nothing in that game plan that shows any promise whatsoever.

Pathetic. I'm allowed an opinion. Prove to me that he's a good coach.

Considering nobody on the cricket board has been able to prove to you in your eyes that Pat Cummins is a good bowler should tell anyone just where the bar is set on your "standards".

I'm more of a game day poster and a mid-week watcher......but........

Who thought Freo would win the 2020 flag at the beginning of the season vs resetting and building?

Win the close games and freo would be sitting with 5 wins. Give him time and he'll deliver.

I'm more of a game day poster and a mid-week watcher......but........

Who thought Freo would win the 2020 flag at the beginning of the season vs resetting and building?

Win the close games and freo would be sitting with 5 wins. Give him time and he'll deliver.
No one. But the idea was that Ross Lyon was holding us back. We've gone backwards from that.

I’ll bite.

Pretty tough for a first year coach to instil a game plan when you can’t even train together half the year.

Also doesn’t help missing so many senior players and having to play so many skinny kids.

He will be a good coach just needs a fair go at it.

I’ll bite.

Pretty tough for a first year coach to instil a game plan when you can’t even train together half the year.

Also doesn’t help missing so many senior players and having to play so many skinny kids.

He will be a good coach just needs a fair go at it.
He had from November til March before COVID took control. That is plenty of time. Every team has injuries at times, you can't continuously rely on a few players. Hamling and Pearce are missing, Pearce has been missing most of his time at Freo anyway and Hamling will be great defensively but we haven't been blown out or desperately needed him to shore up the back.

That I remember your username purely and solely because of your one eyed dislike for Longmuir, is enough to show you would never listen or ever agree anyway.
You get debated and you shout people out of the room, then cry ad hominem when people tell you're a bit much.

There's plenty of stats out there that show that Longmuir's gameplay is about controlling the game rather than Lyon's strangle them and then try hit the eye of the need at speed with little targets to aim for (and failing).

You get debated and you shout people out of the room, then cry ad hominem when people tell you're a bit much.

There's plenty of stats out there that show that Longmuir's gameplay is about controlling the game rather than Lyon's strangle them and then try hit the eye of the need at speed with little targets to aim for (and failing).
What stats would these be? Possessions may be up, but if you don't score whats the point of holding onto the ball all game? We're not even moving the ball at speed.

He had from November til March before COVID took control. That is plenty of time. Every team has injuries at times, you can't continuously rely on a few players. Hamling and Pearce are missing, Pearce has been missing most of his time at Freo anyway and Hamling will be great defensively but we haven't been blown out or desperately needed him to shore up the back.

I wouldn’t agree it’s plenty if time, but especially year one it’d be nice to be able to practise where they need to tidy up the game plan (amongst other things I’m sure) as the season ticks along.

Really think you have gone too early here, especially since the players are clearly bought in and having a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JLo couched poorly tonight! Chippy chip around the boundary in the wet for most of the game. Very disappointing indeed.

But it's way too early for this thread. Stupid. Shut it down and get behind him FFS.

Enlighten us. Who’s ready, right now? JLo is about the most qualified assistant/coach to be starting at the job..
Ban this crap. Wasn’t the coach tonight
Nathan Bassett would be my choice. He has senior coaching credentials at Norwood (winning 3 flags) followed up by assistant roles at Adelaide and Port Adelaide.

Nathan Bassett would be my choice. He has senior coaching credentials at Norwood (winning 3 flags) followed up by assistant roles at Adelaide and Port Adelaide.
Ha. There’s a downgrade.
We’ve been crying for a skull based coach akin to Clarkson. Adam Simpson made the GF using similar approach, and who was his assistant? JLo.
Buckley made the GF using a skill, fast paced approach. Who was the assistant? JLo.
We don’t have the cattle to do the gameplan, yet. Look at the list. It’s rubbish.
Glad we have a short list next year, because players like Schulz, Bewley, Matera, Banfield ain’t taking us anywhere.
We’re not getting Clarkson. Absolutely not. He’d rather stay in Victoria.

Ha. There’s a downgrade.
We’ve been crying for a skull based coach akin to Clarkson. Adam Simpson made the GF using similar approach, and who was his assistant? JLo.
Buckley made the GF using a skill, fast paced approach. Who was the assistant? JLo.
We don’t have the cattle to do the gameplan, yet. Look at the list. It’s rubbish.
Glad we have a short list next year, because players like Schulz, Bewley, Matera, Banfield ain’t taking us anywhere.
We’re not getting Clarkson. Absolutely not. He’d rather stay in Victoria.
How is that a downgrade? Norwood played the most skilled football in the SANFL. There are stark differences between Adam Simpson and JLo's approaches, also being on the losing side in GFs is not exactly a ringing endorsement. Nor does it mean the gameplan was his choice. Especially considering he wasn't the coach in the main areas for the game plan.

Ratten and Teague have what were some pretty awful teams last year up and about being competitive.

That's all you ask for at the end of the day. To compete.

Longmuir has that Mark Harvey deer in the headlights about him LOL.

We're literally talking about a guy who has coached 8 games in a difficult season with around 8 of our first choice players missing. It's a bit nuts to be calling for his head.

We're literally talking about a guy who has coached 8 games in a difficult season with around 8 of our first choice players missing. It's a bit nuts to be calling for his head.

How good is David Teague and Brett Ratten?

It's a difficult season for everyone. Geelong were very beatable with Selwood and Ablett missing, Fremantle at home, Geelong stuck in a hub, wet conditions bringing the two teams closer together.

Instead Fremantle were one minute away from posting their lowest score of all time.

So it's quite clear that we went with a stupid loyalty mistake of JLo instead of actually picking a proper senior coach. We've gone backwards on last year in skills and game plan.

That being said, who do we want to coach us next year now? We need someone with a proper game plan and an ability to develop skills. Clarkson seems to be on thin ice at the Hawks. Maybe him?
Dont get me wrong, the game and freos performance was an Abomination.

We are in that bracket with North and Swans: 2-3 games and percentage infront of bottom placed crows.

Also you forget that we lost narrowly to essendon, brisbane and gold coast so you could add a win or 2 from those 3.

It's a difficult season for everyone. Geelong were very beatable with Selwood and Ablett missing, Fremantle at home, Geelong stuck in a hub, wet conditions bringing the two teams closer together.

Instead Fremantle were one minute away from posting their lowest score of all time.

If anything puts us further away from teams it’s wet conditions...

It’s not an excuse for anything but we’re diabolical in the wet.

Stuart Dew didn't have enviable stats in his first 8 games. Did you want rid of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back