New coaches

Mar 26, 2015
The Land of Apricot Slice
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only if they've showed demonstrable results in the area we are looking to hire them for.

eg: Forward coach shows a clear improvement in scoring/inside 50 marking/accuracy/F50 defense since arriving at the club.

In other words, the exact opposite of how Ben Hart and Birdman/Hass got their jobs at the AFC.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
With a lot of teams having to reduce number of coaches due to reduction of soft cap, are there any coaches being released who may be a good fit at the Crows ? Eg Dean Solomon .
The problem is that the coaches made available by CV-19 are the worst performing coaches at their respective clubs.

Think of it this way...

Team X has 4 coaches - it rates them 9/10, 8/10, 7/10, and 3/10. They cut the coach rated 3/10.
Team Y has 4 coaches - it rates them 8/10, 8/10, 7/10, and 4/10. They cut the coach rated 4/10.
Adelaide has coaches rated 7/10 (Clarke), 1/10, and 1/10 (I'm being very generous to Hart & Godden).

If we replace Hart and Godden with the coaches cut by Teams X & Y, then we end up with a list of 7/10, 4/10, and 3/10. It's an improvement on what we have at present - but it's still easily the worst in the competition.

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
A couple of posters have said there’s whispers of VB coming back, not sure why he would leave the rolled gold Eagles mids for our disaster but who knows. And whilst it’s yet another ex player back at least he’s done a few years at a really successful, well run club. I wouldn’t be opposed I guess.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
A couple of posters have said there’s whispers of VB coming back, not sure why he would leave the rolled gold Eagles mids for our disaster but who knows. And whilst it’s yet another ex player back at least he’s done a few years at a really successful, well run club. I wouldn’t be opposed I guess.
No - I don't want anyone who has ever set foot in the club before. Though I could change my mind for Malcolm Blight.

The only ex-player whose proven themselves at a successful club is VB (and you'd have to say Rutten, although not gettable)

I'd have VB as a backup option but realistically there is no other ex-Crow worth considering.

The problem is that the coaches made available by CV-19 are the worst performing coaches at their respective clubs.

Think of it this way...

Team X has 4 coaches - it rates them 9/10, 8/10, 7/10, and 3/10. They cut the coach rated 3/10.
Team Y has 4 coaches - it rates them 8/10, 8/10, 7/10, and 4/10. They cut the coach rated 4/10.
Adelaide has coaches rated 7/10 (Clarke), 1/10, and 1/10 (I'm being very generous to Hart & Godden).

If we replace Hart and Godden with the coaches cut by Teams X & Y, then we end up with a list of 7/10, 4/10, and 3/10. It's an improvement on what we have at present - but it's still easily the worst in the competition.

Not necessarily. Perhaps the 7-8/10s are on inflated contracts. They create the most space by releasing those.

Now it may mean we have to pay up. But at this point we will probably have to to entice anyone anyway.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan

Think of it this way...

Why is there so much hate for Godden. Is any of it based on his known performance as a coach or is it because of our performance?

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
No - I don't want anyone who has ever set foot in the club before. Though I could change my mind for Malcolm Blight.

Sure, I get the sentiment, but we can’t cut off our nose just to spite our face. If VB is a high quality coach than that’s something we’re in desperate need of, doesn’t matter that he’s an ex player.

Note, I have no strong opinion wether VB is a good coach or not, I feel a monkey could coach those West Coast Mids and they would still dominate.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Think of it this way...

Agreed.

In my opinion going for the best of the discarded coaches is the safest route, but not the best.

What we should be doing is targeting the new people with potential talent who would normally be entering the assistant coaching arena at AFL level under normal circumstances but otherwise aren't getting that opportunity due to Covid and the flow on.

Lets take a gamble on some coaches who aren't already discarded AFL assistant coaches. THAT is where we potentially can pick up some genuine talent we normally wouldn't have access to.

Only coaching position I wouldn't take the calculated gamble risk with is the senior assistant, because we DESPERATELY need one.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Not necessarily. Perhaps the 7-8/10s are on inflated contracts. They create the most space by releasing those.

Now it may mean we have to pay up. But at this point we will probably have to to entice anyone anyway.
No club is culling their better performed coaches.

If we're talking about paying up, and enticing coaches away, then we're not talking about the pool of coaches who were culled due to Coronavirus budget restrictions.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Agreed.

In my opinion going for the best of the discarded coaches is the safest route, but not the best.
It's the easiest way of filling the vacancies. It's certainly not the best.
What we should be doing is targeting the new people with potential talent who would normally be entering the assistant coaching arena at AFL level under normal circumstances but otherwise aren't getting that opportunity due to Covid and the flow on.

Lets take a gamble on some coaches who aren't already discarded AFL assistant coaches. THAT is where we potentially can pick up some genuine talent we normally wouldn't have access to.

Only coaching position I wouldn't take the calculated gamble risk with is the senior assistant, because we DESPERATELY need one.
You need a mixture of senior and rookie coaches. We have a reasonable (not amazing) senior assistant in Clarke, an experienced but incompetent assistant in Hart, and a poor man's rookie in Gooden.

We need a decent rookie coach to replace Godden. This should be the easy part, as there are always players reaching the end of their playing careers, who want to make the transition to coaching. It's just a matter of finding the right wannabe coach. We probably won't have too much competition in the rookie market this year, with most teams looking to trim their coaching panels, rather than recruiting new assistants.

We need a competent and experienced assistant to replace Hart. This is the hardest one to fill, because it will require ponying up the cash, in order to lure a proven assistant from another club. We should not be trawling the CV-19 reject pile, searching for someone to fill this vacancy - we need to fill it with one of the assistants who was good enough to keep his/her job when the budgets were squeezed.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
No club is culling their better performed coaches.

If we're talking about paying up, and enticing coaches away, then we're not talking about the pool of coaches who were culled due to Coronavirus budget restrictions.
It could also be based on when contracts are ending and what a payout could cost.

Greenac

All Australian
Apr 12, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide

Think of it this way...

Except at our club it would be ranked more along the lines of salary and the highest earner gets the boot. Nothing creates more woodies at boardroom and executive level than seeing that Excel spreadsheet flash up green and black.

Back